Right-On Washington, Soul DJ from Radio Station ASOL

DonRocks

I got "Big Bambu" as an 11th birthday gift in 1972 (I had older siblings). I played the album with my headphones on, over-and-over, much to my amusement, and never once thought anything was racist, insulting, or anything more than a couple of rebellious comedians pushing boundaries ... and I was 11.

Question: How is Right-On Washington different than blackface?

On 2/6/2019 at 10:44 PM, DonRocks said:

Question: How is Right-On Washington different than blackface?

I am sure the question has come up because of the current in the news controversy concerning two of Virginia's top politicians including the Governor.

I would bet there are millions (more likely billions) of people of all races and religions that have engaged in something like blackface at one (or more) points in their lives  while having done so in some form of privacy.  In that it is private it doesn't see the light of publicity; nor are they public figures in government.  Frankly a prime example is Donald Trump.  While as a private citizen the majority of his private actions that now get slammed in the media and among the public, were simply never known.   How many privately "embarrassing" items do you know about every neighbor's actions from the decades before you knew them.   As to Trump;  I was aware he regularly stiffed people in business ONLY because I was in the RE estate industry and heard about 3 separate incidents from 3 separate sources I knew and trusted.  Who knew he had over 4000 lawsuits?  Nobody.   We don't know about people's private actions taken years ago.....in general...unless they become public figures   ie Kavanaugh.   Who knew or who would know?  

If and when it hits the public and if the person is a public figure it takes on an entirely different context and seriousness.  

Coincidentally, a friend (from life and FB) recently published something about Blazing Saddles, released as a film in early 1974.  That film had amazing racial stereotypes and outrageous elements.  Mel Brooks admits he could not release that film in the current or recent past.   The times have changed.  

I'm not going to comment on differences or not about putting on blackface and listening to those old tapes....but I do note that old actions from decades ago can be brought to light in the current environment, especially if one is a public figure.   Then the issue turns political.   That certainly takes up a lot of current news time with a wide variety of people