Breville Pizzaiolo, Ooni Koda, and Other High-Heat, Home Pizza Ovens

lion

Breville made a new pizza oven ($800 clams!)! When I bring this up in conversation with my wife, she shakes her head. She knows the depth of my temptation to add to the clutter of the kitchen countertop no matter how nonchalant I try and keep this conversation. 750 degrees at home! Leopard spots! I would relegate the air fryer to the garage shelve to make space! Eater has a youtube video

Has anyone seen one in action? 

4 hours ago, lion said:

Breville made a new pizza oven ($800 clams!)! When I bring this up in conversation with my wife, she shakes her head. She knows the depth of my temptation to add to the clutter of the kitchen countertop no matter how nonchalant I try and keep this conversation. 750 degrees at home! Leopard spots! I would relegate the air fryer to the garage shelve to make space! Eater has a youtube video

Has anyone seen one in action? 

The video was cool and very informative. I can't imagine why it cost $800 though.

2 hours ago, SilverBullitt said:

Kenji Lopez-Alt is a fan of a baking steel.  It appears to do a credible job at a tenth of the cost of the Breville.

I use a baking steel that my boyfriend picked up from someone right over the PA line (I can find out where if anyone wants.) I believe it was $50-$70. It makes pretty good pizza (and bagels) in my not so awesome oven.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:46 PM, ALB said:

I use a baking steel that my boyfriend picked up from someone right over the PA line (I can find out where if anyone wants.) I believe it was $50-$70. It makes pretty good pizza (and bagels) in my not so awesome oven.

What's the difference between a baking steel and a cast iron griddle?  

45 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

What's the difference between a baking steel and a cast iron griddle?  

Heat retention and convection, I'd think.  This slab Kenji describes is 15 lbs.  I've never encountered a cast iron griddle anywhere near that heavy.  I'm assuming that means a ton in terms of how much heat it can hold so that when the pizza cools the surface, it gets quickly back to temperature based on the additional heat just below.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, SilverBullitt said:

Kenji Lopez-Alt is a fan of a baking steel.  It appears to do a credible job at a tenth of the cost of the Breville.

He’s selling them on his website! 😂

I’ve been using our Breville Toaster oven and it does a fairly good decent job. 

Would like to see a demo of the Breville Pizzaiolo but yeah it may be over kill!

However it has been fun making pizzas with my son so part of the thought behind purchasing it would be the science experiment style cooking with him. 

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Ooni or seen one in action?

The Pro model appeals most to me, because it can take many different fuel sources (wood, charcoal, gas).  What concerns me, apart from ease of cleaning, is the length of time that it takes to heat the surface so that pizza won't stick.  Reviews seem conflicting on this front, with some claiming that 20 minutes is enough while others say up to an hour.