buzzy

Wooboi Hot Chicken - Nashville Hot, Free-Range Chicken Fried in Peanut Oil - Herndon

I'm told this is located where The Weiner's Circle used to be in Herndon. 

Heard about this "Hot Chicken" place through friends. Stopped by before work and got 3 Hot Chicken Sandwiches for my coworkers and myself. We all agreed it was the best chicken sandwich we had ever had.

The chicken is at 5 levels. If you order it at a 4 or 5 you have to sign a release. Don't know if that's real or theatre, but I can tell you that a level 2 heat was pretty damn hot. One of my coworkers was sweating. 

The sandwiches are chicken breast, toasted buns, vinegar based slaw and unbelievably tasty pickles. 

If I read correctly, they have Hot Chicken pieces with an emphasis on wings. They also have fried Okra that I'm going to try next time. 

Open weekdays 11am to 7pm. 

• Like 2

FWIW - the Weiner's Circle was a few blocks away from this location on the other side of Herndon Parkway.  There used to be a small restaurant at this location.  Glad to hear it was excellent, I will have to check it out.

4 hours ago, buzzy said:

I'm told this is located where The Weiner's Circle used to be in Herndon. 

Heard about this "Hot Chicken" place through friends. Stopped by before work and got 3 Hot Chicken Sandwiches for my coworkers and myself. We all agreed it was the best chicken sandwich we had ever had.

The chicken is at 5 levels. If you order it at a 4 or 5 you have to sign a release. Don't know if that's real or theatre, but I can tell you that a level 2 heat was pretty damn hot. One of my coworkers was sweating. 

The sandwiches are chicken breast, toasted buns, vinegar based slaw and unbelievably tasty pickles. 

If I read correctly, they have Hot Chicken pieces with an emphasis on wings. They also have fried Okra that I'm going to try next time. 

Open weekdays 11am to 7pm. 

So this is Nashville Hot Chicken? Got to try it. On my one and only visit to Nashville, I drove straight from the airport to Prince's Hot Chicken (the inventor). Got there right at opening time, noon on Saturday. A huge crowd formed but the place never opened. No reason given. Closed on Sundays and we left early Monday so I never got to try it. But supposedly you should not order anything above medium hot.

Yes, same business park, across parking lot from Dunkin' Donuts.  Aslin Beer Co is opposite side of parking area, but all the way at the end of the row.  

10 hours ago, buzzy said:

Stopped by before work and got 3 Hot Chicken Sandwiches for my coworkers and myself. We all agreed it was the best chicken sandwich we had ever had.

The pictures I see on Facebook (not Instagram) look mayonnaise-laden - but they're advertising fresh (not frozen), antibiotic-free, and free range, so they're at least thinking about quality.

Nashville Hot Chicken is for men whose girlfriends hate them.

Tempted to try it tomorrow for lunch, but it is Valentine's Day and I would not want to jeopardize a HOT Chicken sandwich lunch that may affect my dinner and basketball practice.  I am sure I will have to check out in the near future.

Is this pronounced "Whoa, boy?" Just wondering.  Too bad they don't have banana pudding.

34 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Is this pronounced "Whoa, boy?" Just wondering.  Too bad they don't have banana pudding.

I think it's a great name. It looks Korean (like the proprietor) and could be the sound you make after your first bite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

I think it's a great name. It looks Korean (like the proprietor) and could be the sound you make after your first bite.

The chef's name is Minwoo (Min Woo?), and it's clearly supposed to be a pun on the sound you make after your first bite.

ktmoomau, I suspect they just might add a banana pudding after reading your post - it's a great idea that will tame the fire.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

New Yorker:  The Family Business That Put Nashville Hot Chicken on the Map

A good read about Prince's in Nashville.

I'll say it's a good read. Sample: "Activities that may not pair well with Nashville hot chicken include a road trip, a long flight, a first date, work, sleep, and your wedding. First-timers have been advised to prepare for hot chicken by putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer at home."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

First-timers have been advised to prepare for hot chicken by putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer at home."

Yikes!

• Haha 1

Stopped by last night and they were doing a fairly brisk level of business. Place had the normal decor which has become the standard post chipotle style of fast food restaurant style. 

A few things were already off the menu most likely to stream line the production. Generally people were there to test their ability to deal with the Nashville levels of hot chicken.

As some local high school students were dealing with getting the highest level “5” and sweating, I selected the Sando sandwich at level “3”  

“3” was tasty with a little kick but not unmanageable. My wife ate some of mine and she said that it wasn’t hot-hot  

May try the “4” at some point in the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reedm said:

Important safety tip: currently closed Sat/Sun. 

Uh, oh - did you get hosed?

On 2/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bob Wells said:

I'll say it's a good read. Sample: "Activities that may not pair well with Nashville hot chicken include a road trip, a long flight, a first date, work, sleep, and your wedding. First-timers have been advised to prepare for hot chicken by putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer at home."

I ordered Prince's "Hot" level the first time I was in Nashville.  Personally thought it tasted amazing the level of euphoria I experienced from the heat was beyond anything I'd ever felt before... less enjoyable was the rest of the day, I went to a nice restaurant for dinner but didn't really get to enjoy it and was instead busy googling "foods that help with acid reflux".  It's worth it to me provided you are able to clear out a whole day.

Certainly interested in trying this place out (and ordering something around whatever medium is).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Uh, oh - did you get hosed?

It was my fault for not checking the hours of operation, but it wasn't a wasted trip because I was on my way to the Galleria. A nice noodle dish at Sen Khao save the day. 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reedm said:

It was my fault for not checking the hours of operation, but it wasn't a wasted trip because I was on my way to the Galleria. A nice noodle dish at Sen Khao save the day. 🙂

They are definitely working out the kinks in the operation. Sorry should have mentioned that in addition to several items on the menu already being taken off permanently. 

A wall of fame or shame...another article on the Nashville Hot chicken in Herndon.

Hot Opening: Wooboi Chicken in Herndon by STEFANIE GANS, NoVa Magazine

“We don’t mess around here,” is what the man behind counter said to the customer who just ordered the hottest of the hot: level Cold Blue for a chicken sandwich. It’s described as super extra hot and also includes an extra warning: waiver required.

3 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

A wall of fame or shame...another article on the Nashville Hot chicken in Herndon.

Hot Opening: Wooboi Chicken in Herndon by STEFANIE GANS, NoVa Magazine

“We don’t mess around here,” is what the man behind counter said to the customer who just ordered the hottest of the hot: level Cold Blue for a chicken sandwich. It’s described as super extra hot and also includes an extra warning: waiver required.

I laughed out loud when I read this:

"I didn’t feel like expiring in a Herndon strip mall, so I went with a level two chicken sandwich and a level three chicken wing."

• Like 1

Stopped by last Friday to see what the excitement was all about. It was 1:30, and the place was still busy.

Ordered a Sando Level 3 (hot), and it was great. The chicken was perfectly cooked, juicy, and the crispy exterior was just the right thickness. The slaw was a nice match, and the pickles provided a nice contrast to the spiciness of the chicken. I couldn't make out the spices, but the sandwich was very aromatic as well.

For my tastes, level 3 was perfect--just enough heat to make my scalp sweat a little, but not too much to make it too painful to eat. I can see how hotter levels may induce significant discomfort. (Wash hands afterwards, at a minimum!)

I hope they plan to extend their opening hours to weekends so I can visit more often.

Had some business in the Reston/Herndon area and decided to set aside some time to try this place.

Wooboi, did they underestimate demand.  Even at ~11:15am, fifteen minutes after they opened, the line was already quite long (but not out the door).  The good news is, despite having just one register, the line moves pretty quickly.  The *bad* news is, seating inside the place is quite limited, and invariably with lunch crowds, you're going to get large(r) parties corralling tables together and making the problem worse.  If you feel like chancing it, the to-go boxes are nice enough that eating in your car would be doable.

As for the chicken - I liked it.  It's pretty clear they brine their breasts/tenders, since the chicken has the internal look of a CFA breast - no stringiness here.  I had a Level 2 sandwich and a Level 3 tender (to taste), and I'm glad I went that way, even though I'm sure I could've handled a Level 3 sandwich just fine.

The strip mall/general vicinity this place is in is an unholy grouping of a lot of diet-killing eateries.  There's a Gelato shop/cafe within spitting distance, a vegetarian Indian restaurant right next door, an Amphora Bakery next to that...

...too bad they only keep M-F hours, but they're going to do plenty of business from the businesses within walking distance.  They'll have another location open in no time, most likely.

Oh, and one other thing to keep in mind.  On the glass in front of the prep area, they mention that their chicken is prepared with pork products (they don't elaborate as to how), so it's decidedly *not* Halal or Kosher.

• Like 2

Wooboi Chicken’s Chef Talks Secret Menu, Spiciest Nashville Hot Chicken Waiver by Catherine Douglas Moran, RestoNow

One month after Wooboi Chicken’s opening, Chef Minwoo says that the Herndon eatery still has lines out of the door in the mornings and even one diner who came down from New Jersey for a taste of the Nashville Hot Chicken.

Other secret menu items to ask for include The Kracken, which is a double chicken sandwich inspired by Paul from Weird Brothers Coffee, and the Choi Fries, which are fries with D.C. mumbo sauce, chicken, cheddar cheese and mustard.

The secret menu isn’t the only surprise. The recipes change a little bit every day, Minwoo adds.

• Like 2