Dining on Valentine's Day

crackers

Last year around this time I asked:

Has anyone had any Valentine's Day restaurant experiences in the recent past, good, bad or indifferent? [And no, I'm not asking for myself. ph34r.gif]
Of course, last year didn't Al Dente invite us all over to share a plate of osso buco with his new bride and him? If you've worn out your welcome there, OpenTable has a list of places with V-day special menus. decisions, decisions...

Roger Troutman and I had a kind of crappy V-Day dinner last year at Charlie Palmers. The reason it was crappy was the terribly slooooooow service. But on the up side they gave out a coupon at the end of the meal for 25% off a future meal there. But we never actually used it.

After our experience with dinner out on NYE, I think the husband and I are staying in this year.

Of course, last year didn't Al Dente invite us all over to share a plate of osso buco with his new bride and him?

Now that we've been married a while, it'll probably be hot dogs this year.

If there is a non-amateur-night place to go, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I've been burned too many times in the past.

Komi will have a special 5-course menu for $125/per. It will include upgraded ingredients such as foie gras and caviar. And they will take your credit card number when you make your reservation.
I called yesterday, and they said they are all booked up, but put my name on a waiting list. If we don't get into Komi, then we're staying home and making fondue.

And did y'all see DCfoodies.com got a mention in yesterday's (1/16) Express for his where to go on Valentine's Day post?

We had a truly wonderful evening a few years ago at The Ashby Inn in Paris, VA. Brian Pellatt is a talented chef, and the gracious and unhurried dining room was delightful. It was enhanced by spending the night in the Glascock Room, which has a wood-burning fireplace.

any suggestions for NON-price fix places in MoCo, MD?

seems like every place has their usual 75 dollar 4 course menu. trying to think outside the box for something in silver spring or preferably bethesda/rockville area.

any new places in bethesda to recommend? otherwise I think i'll cook up a fancy meal at home.

Am I nuts for considering 2 Amy's that night? Or more nuts than any other night. We'd be a group of 6 or so. It's the only place that I can think of with parking that meets food restrictions like no cheese for one, no pork and/or cheese for another, and my wanting a damn good meal.

Am I nuts for considering 2 Amy's that night? Or more nuts than any other night. We'd be a group of 6 or so. It's the only place that I can think of with parking that meets food restrictions like no cheese for one, no pork and/or cheese for another, and my wanting a damn good meal.

What time are you going to arrive? 330p? :lol: I am sure that you can guess that I think it might be nuttier than other nights.

Robyn and I eat out all the time, so instead I'm cooking for her. Her favorite foods are mac and cheese and fish sticks. Thus, I'm going to make her favorite meal...with a twist.

Blue cheese & truffled mac and cheese + talapia fish sticks served with a wine I have yet to choose. Suggestions?

It's too bad we don't have a White Castle nearby....

Make your Valentine’s day STEAMY! Take your Valentine to White Castle on Wednesday, February 14 between 5 and 8 p.m. and enjoy hostess seating, candlelit dining and your own server. Reservations are required, so check the list below for participating Castles near you!

Special this year, you can also treat your honey to a romantic White Castle dinner in your home! Cupid’s Crave Kits include eight cheeseburgers, one sack of fries, two regular soft drinks, coupons and keepsake items to heat up your homespun romance. Now, ain’t that sweet?

For more information or to make a Cupid’s Crave Kit reservation, call the phone number listed for the your city of choice below.*

* Cupid’s Crave Kits are not available at all locations. Reservations are required.

I just submitted a piece on bars and lounges for Valentines' Day. CityZen bar is closed (though the dining room is open, of course); Eve is no-reservation but tasting menu; Kolumbia and Central bars are the same as usual. No ressies, regular menu if that helps.

Two Amy's and a party of six? You are insane.

No. Inna name of the lord and all his cherubs. No.

If I was off, I would have my studmuffin take me to Popeyes, buy me four biscuits, and feed them to me in the back seat of the car.

But I'm on. So maybe it's oysters. Or potentially passing out upon return home.

I'm sorry, were you looking for suggestions for a good place to eat on V-day? Besides your kitchen? And maybe places like Karachi or Islamabad City?

If there is a non-amateur-night place to go, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I've been burned too many times in the past.

I've been so busy that I forgot to mention anything, and I'm not sure if we qualify, but Ray's The Steaks is open on Valentine's and not doing anything special--same menu, same prices, same rude "hostess" (it's true, she's rude, I read it on washingtonpost.com!!!). We will be taking reservations, though. Leave a message at 703/841-7297 with the name, number in the party, hoped-for time and a number where we can reach you throughtout the day and we will call back to confirm the reservation or offer alternative times. We have only just changed the outgoing message on the answering earlier tonight to announce reservations for Valentine's, so anyone calling tomorrow will have a good chance, I imagine.

In Silver Spring, I'll be doing a special Valentine's Day 8-part "Glands 'n' Glans" tasting menu ("Snout-to-Tail" is sooo like, 2006), but that is member-only, by invitation, and all slots have been filled well in advance (and trust me, that is one list the gals at the Reliable Source will not be on).

In Silver Spring, I'll be doing a special Valentine's Day 8-part "Glands 'n' Glans" tasting menu ("Snout-to-Tail" is sooo like, 2006), but that is member-only, by invitation, and all slots have been filled well in advance (and trust me, that is one list the gals at the Reliable Source will not be on).

My spit take for the week. Thank you, Mr. Landrum.

How will the heart be fixed?

I've been so busy that I forgot to mention anything, and I'm not sure if we qualify, but Ray's The Steaks is open on Valentine's and not doing anything special--same menu, same prices, same rude "hostess" (it's true, she's rude, I read it on washingtonpost.com!!!).

Mr. Perrik and I got married at the Montgomery County courthouse after passing through (and setting off) a metal detector, and then taking a number. The wedding room had a huge picture window which gave us a lovely, detailed view of the ventilation system.

Consequently we find the atmosphere at RTS to be quite romantic by comparison. I've left a message on the machine and, "hostess" willing, we shall spend that special evening gazing at exposed pipes, shipping cartons, and whatever the hell that thing is on the ceiling by the entrance. Ah, bliss.

We're... well, we're going to the Lebanese Butcher in Falls Church. If you want a nice, quiet, and delicious Valentine's Dinner under a painting of the Kaaba done on black velvet, it can't be beat. Especially if they're working on a lamb carcass next door and need to rev up the bandsaw.

We went to RTS last year for v-day and it was the first time I ever understood Mr. Landrum's epic rant about the sort of folks he'd rather not have in his restaurant.

Not us, mind you, we were just there for the steak and not because it's some sort of pissing contest involving multiple personal assistants with speed dial to get a reservation

We're hopefully making a trek to Cheesetique to acquire two delightful cheeses we had at Eve -- Cubra Pena Macore (from Portugal) and Everona Soneyman (from Virginia!). Now if only we could remember the name of the blue cheese we had at Citronelle -- it was a Roquefort, and quite literally the only blue cheese I've honestly enjoyed. Yum. Oh, and afterward we're going to head across the street to Dairy Godmother for some raspberry custard -- it was a debate, I assure you, between going on Sunday for Mozambique (the BEST flavor for a turtle sundae!) or on V-Day for raspberry, but the berries won!

We went the Cheesetique route this weekend, picking up 3 cheeses to try to go with the Cotes du Rhone and White Burgandy that we picked up at Planet Wine. The plan was to wait until tonight but once you have such good cheese and wine in the house, plans often go out the window, as they did last night...

I was SUPPOSED to be playing hockey tonight (that's my idea of romantic). Now we find out that Cabin John is closed for the evening so our game has been cancelled.

/on whiney voice

So what the hell do I do now???

/off whiney voice

I guess I'll just have to crash the bar at RTC tonite....

I'm hungry, but the wind keeps howling at my window and rattling the gates. So I am drinking tea and crunching scharfenberger cocoa nibs. Perhaps, later, I will bestir myself and wander out to Tryst for a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a mug of The-Drink-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named (chaippucino). Or perhaps a draft of Guinness with a shot of espresso.

Might not be classy, but I'll enjoy myself anyway.

Thanks to Crackers. Hopefully, three calls are a charm. At Restaurant Eve: In the bar, no reservations required, Valentines' Day menu, a la carte. The menu hasn't been set yet.

In the bar at Eve last night, the "Valentine's Day Menu" was exactly the same as the regular menu, except all appetizers were priced at $25 and all entrees were priced at $40. So the arugula salad with prosciutto and parmesan, which is normally $12, was going for more than twice that. As was the bacon egg and cheese salad, in fact all of the appetizers (which max out at $18 for the oysters on the regular menu) cost much more than they usually do, as did the entrees, which are usually in the upper $20 range. I asked and was told there was no difference in the composition of the dishes last night, but that they had simply decided to do special pricing for the holiday. It seemed unusual (and disappointing) for Eve to do this, especially in the bar, and I was not the only one who left to dine elsewhere. :o

In the bar at Eve last night, the "Valentine's Day Menu" was exactly the same as the regular menu, except all appetizers were priced at $25 and all entrees were priced at $40.
Good luck finding a table somewhere else or a bar where the prices of the dinner menu have not bee escalated for VD. It is industry practice and simply reflects the law of supply and demand. There are only x number of seats available and on VD the demand is 2x. I don't blame them and I don't begrudge them. Some chalk it up to the cost of insuring against the risk of alienating the SO on a day when the risk is high.

The prices were higher at the place I dined last night but the menu included upgraded ingredients such as foie gras and caviar.

Good luck finding a table somewhere else or a bar where the prices of the dinner menu have not bee escalated for VD. It is industry practice and simply reflects the law of supply and demand. There are only x number of seats available and on VD the demand is 2x. I don't blame them and I don't begrudge them. Some chalk it up to the cost of insuring against the risk of alienating the SO on a day when the risk is high.

The prices were higher at the place I dined last night but the menu included upgraded ingredients such as foie gras and caviar.

I did find a table somewhere else without a problem, that had great food as usual, and the prices were not escalated. If you are going to raise prices for a special occasion, fine, but at least give me something more for the extra money I am giving you. I am not sure charging twice as much for the same dish you served the night before is "industry practice." Where you dined, for instance, you were getting more for the extra money you paid.