Dining on Valentine's Day

crackers

I am not sure weather was much of a factor last night. Ray's the Steak was jumping around 8:30 last night, as well as the two other restaurants in the shopping center. $20 for a first course is highway robbery, even on V-Day.

Nope. The place I ended up was more packed than Eve before long. I just had good timing.

At any rate, for someone who holds Eve as a sacred cow as I do, it seemed out of character.

Just to be clear, my point has nothing to do with Eve. Many of the top tier restaurants raise their prices at times such as NYE and VD. My view is that it's unfair to tar a particular establishment when the practice is so widespread.

Just to be clear, my point has nothing to do with Eve. Many of the top tier restaurants raise their prices at times such as NYE and VD. My view is that it's unfair to tar a particular establishment when the practice is so widespread.

I am not tarring anyone, just pointing out that prices were up 70-100% over the usual on Eve's menu last night, with no apparent difference in the composition of the dishes. It'd be helpful for others to post who else did the same or similar, I would think, so we can get an idea of what the "industry standard" truly is. If it is so widespread, let's establish so. We've already learned that Corduroy and Ray's did no such thing...

Palena? CityZen? Citronelle? Let's hear it.

I am not tarring anyone, just pointing out that prices were up 70-100% over the usual on Eve's menu last night, with no apparent difference in the composition of the dishes. It'd be helpful for others to post who else did the same or similar, I would think, so we can get an idea of what the "industry standard" truly is. If it is so widespread, let's establish so. We've already learned that Corduroy and Ray's did no such thing...

Palena? CityZen? Citronelle? Let's hear it.

Komi's prices were 166% of normal and the caviar and foie gras did not justify that much of a price increase. Not complaining, I went in with my eyes open.

ETA: And just out of curiosity, were the prices charged at the bar different than what they were charging guests in the Bistro last night? Does it seem unreasonable for a restaurant to charge the same price for the same meal regardless where in the restaurant you decide to dine?

Komi's prices were 166% of normal and the caviar and foie gras did not justify that much of a price increase. Not complaining, I went in with my eyes open.

ETA: And just out of curiosity, were the prices charged at the bar different than what they were charging guests in the Bistro last night? Does it seem unreasonable for a restaurant to charge the same price for the same meal regardless where in the restaurant you decide to dine?

What was the price of the tasting menu at Komi last night? I thought it was $125, and it is usually around $75.

The prices at the bar were the same as in the Bistro, I believe. What seemed unreasonable is charging almost twice as much for the same thing, not that the menu was the same in the bistro and the bar (they usually are anyways, as you know, except for a small number of appetizers on the bar menu that are a little less than on the bistro menu).

Komi was $125 for a special tasting menu last night, which I understand to be different than the normal $74 tasting menu. Similar percentage of upcharges to Eve, yes, but you got something more. (And $125 instead of $74 doesn't give you 166% of normal.)

ETA: I suck at math. I mean it isn't a 166% increase, but it appears you meant it is 166% higher than usual. That means at Eve it was 200% higher than usual for some dishes like the salads, with no extras.

Charging more for the exact same menu item just because it is Valentine's Day just seems like poor form to me. You could at least try to dress up the menu to make it seem more "special" to justify the surcharge. Not doing anything different could lead some to view it as simply gouging. Maybe they should start charging folks more for their dinner when they are celebrating an anniversary or a birthday, too.

FWIW, I had another outstanding dinner at Ray's the Steaks last evening for the same reasonable prices.

We served prix fixe. If we had run the same dishes as specials, the prices would ahve roughly been the same. The wine matches were actually priced out a little below what we normally would charge for the same pours.

We did not invoke the cancellation fee to those who could not attend due to weather or to those who just changed their minds but at least had the decency to let us know why they were leaving. In all, we lost a net of 10 covers last night to no shows and walk offs. 6% of our total. Since no other cost will change, that represents a pure loss in net revenue to the restaurant and the servers.

Just a view from the other side.

I got "inflated" at t-giving and nye here in the san fran area. 3 course pre-fix for I think $55 at t-giving and $88 at nye, while the food was very good, I spied similar items on their menus later on for about 25% at the a la carte price. :lol: I just will do my homework a little better next time, or make sure that they have an a la carte option. If I'm going to spend more on a special day, I'd like to think it would be on liquid dessert or a nice bubbly, not on accident :o . But then again, I say cook at home on V-day and go out the next nite.... :P

Dave

"So, is that a half bottle in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Batista

How many no-shows and last minute cancelations will there be tonight?

We haven't ventured out yet and even the prospect of a last minute table somewhere fabu wouldn't get me out on the ice but for folks already in town, I wonder if options will be opening up.

Jennifer

I called Central and Rasika about 3 times yesterday to see if thay had gotten any cancellations. No such luck. Even by as late as 5:30. :o Did anyone who went to either of those places find a lot of empty tables? I'd be curious to know.....

True, JG, but if the restaurant in question is one that you such a high amount of regard for, that practice seems low class and disappointing. Why can't it be first-come, first-served reservations like every other day?

True, JG, but if the restaurant in question is one that you such a high amount of regard for, that practice seems low class and disappointing. Why can't it be first-come, first-served reservations like every other day?
Because it's not every other day? It's a day when a lot of people who don't normally go out all suddenly go out and the restaurant is slammed with significantly more business, enabling it to charge a higher price? I don't think it's low class, in fact I think it's a good business practice.

Because it's not every other day? It's a day when a lot of people who don't normally go out all suddenly go out and the restaurant is slammed with significantly more business, enabling it to charge a higher price? I don't think it's low class, in fact I think it's a good business practice.

under that theory, doctors should raise their fees in times of epidemics and supermarkets should raise their prices just before hurricanes and major winter storms.

So that just means that they will have to say "no" to a lot more people when they call and try to make reservations. Why is that the hardest thing in on earth for restaurants to do?

If the restaurant only has 100 seats, then they only have 100 seats. Period. So they are not exactly "slammed with more business" on V-Day, are they? If they are unable to operate smoothly when every seat is filled, then maybe they should consider decreasing the amount of seats or hiring more staff.

In fact, I would think that restaurants would LOVE to have every seat filled every day. This shouldn't be an inconvenience or an emergency that requires a increase in prices, it should be a blessing! One that the restaurants should appreciate and strive for EVERY day.

under that theory, doctors should raise their fees in times of epidemics and supermarkets should raise their prices just before hurricanes and major winter storms.
nice red herring, but you raise points of emergency versus points of unneccesary choices.

And in response to LaShanta, I never said that they couldn't operate smoothly, but suddently the seat at table 20 is more valuable to you than it was any other given day of the year (minus special holidays). I see no objection in having holiday pricing due to a higher demand. Also, if you had every seat filled every day your prices would surely rise (or should) to the point where you continue to maximize profit while keeping your customers happy. Plenty of even the most revered places in the country have taken exactly this approach (The French Laundry comes to mind)

On a waaay more positive note, I had an absolutely fabulous Valentine's Day dinner last night!!!! See details below.....

I went to 15 Ria at the Washington Doubletree hotel. This place is totally under-valued in the foodie (yes, I used the word. I love it and I’m going to KEEP using it. So there. humph. :o ) world.

Like most of you I was going to skip the whole restaurant thing. But when the snow storm on Tuesday forced me to abandon my grocery shopping plans, I decided at the very last minute to find someplace (anyplace!) to go celebrate the Day of Love with my Honey Boo. And since 15 Ria was offering such an amazing v-day deal (3 course for $98 per COUPLE!! can you believe that???!!), I couldn’t pass it up!

APPETIZERS – pan seared foi gras on a shredded potato patty thingy with blueberry compote and my BF had ginormous seared scallops with a mixed green salad with strawberries. Phenomenal!!

ENTREES – I had grilled rack of lamb with spinach and cheese polenta hash and super fresh crunchy green beans with a tangy red pepper coulis. My BF had crabs-crusted sole stuffed with lemon potato puree. The sole was a tad bit bland, but the arugula sparked it up a bit

DESSERT – I had the molten chocolate cake with Kahula cream, but the cake was kind of cold, so I sent it back for an amazing apple crisp w/ cinnamon ice cream. My BF had some very yummy (yup. like this word too!) Bailey’s cheesecake.

SERVICE – Wonderful. Almost annoyingly attentive. That’s the thing about such an unassuming under-the-radar place. There weren’t many people there so we had the waiters almost undivided attention. Also, they honored my request for a table right beside the fireplace. And they turned the light down more than they usually are, so it was super romantic and cheesy and cliché and all those wonderful Valentine’s Day things.

OVERALL – A fabulous hidden gem. Wonderful food. Beautiful, comfortable furniture. Amazing décor. Great service. Scallops... foie gras.... lamb...all for less than a Ben Frankin!! A fantastic value!! (esp. in light of the posts above) Definitely worth a trip!!!!! :lol:

nice red herring

well, at least you liked my fish. :o the bottom line is that these restaurants are free to do want they want. this is a customer satisfaction issue. if folks feel abused by paying more for the exact same item because of the date on which it is prepared, they will migrate there business elsewhere. i have no problem with restuarants charging more on a holiday, i just think that their customers would prefer the illusion that they are getting something a little more or "special" for the extra money.

I am all for people making as much money as they can, but too many of these places dumb down their menus for these special nights. They offer less for more money, and that's a shame. If places like Citronelle and Ray's can offer the same menu and same prices, then why can't everyone else? Why over book, or require your guest to sign contracts?

So, Jacquest Gastreaux, prices aside -- how was Komi??? What was on the menu??
Ahh, the real question. Komi was fabulous. I give both the food and the service A+. There were four of us at the table and between us we got to sample just about everything on the menu. There were so many things I can't remember them all. We had a routine whereby when a course came, we all had something different. We'd each take bite or two and then pass our plates clockwise until the plates were empty. I damn near needed a wheel chair to get out of there.

too many of these places dumb down their menus for these special nights. They offer less for more money, and that's a shame... Why over book, or require your guest to sign contracts?
I've been to Restaurant Eve for one of their "special nights" and I can assure you, there was nothing dumbed down about the menu. Nor did they offer less for the money. Quite the contrary. Now, why don't we hear from somebody who actually ate at the Bistro last night before we continue making wild assumptions about the quality of the food or the service? And what makes you think they over-book? Eve had reservations for every table. That obviated the need to over-book, and they had a waiting list 30-deep to dip into should an opening arise. The fact that they had such a deep waiting list should indicate why they wanted solid assurance from those who had reservations that they would show up.
If places like Citronelle and Ray's can offer the same menu and same prices, then why can't everyone else?
Because they don't want to?

If the restaurant only has 100 seats, then they only have 100 seats. Period. So they are not exactly "slammed with more business" on V-Day, are they? If they are unable to operate smoothly when every seat is filled, then maybe they should consider decreasing the amount of seats or hiring more staff.

In fact, I would think that restaurants would LOVE to have every seat filled every day. This shouldn't be an inconvenience or an emergency that requires a increase in prices, it should be a blessing! One that the restaurants should appreciate and strive for EVERY day.

If airlines adopted this sort of pricing policy, it would result in higher prices for some (those that tend to make reservsations well in advance when the fares are low) and lower prices for others (business travelers who make reservations at the last minute or those who just procrastinate or are impulsive). Or how about resort hotels which have a high and a low season. But that is not the real world. Restaurants just have a "high season" a few days a year.

I've been to Restaurant Eve for one of their "special nights" and I can assure you, there was nothing dumbed down about the menu. Nor did they offer less for the money. Quite the contrary. Now, why don't we hear from somebody who actually ate at the Bistro last night before we continue making wild assumptions about the quality of the food or the service?
Last night, unless I have lost my ability to read and my server lied to me, Eve offered the same menu they have had in the Bistro as of late, but at much higher prices. Nowhere on the menu did it indicate that you were getting anything extra for the special menu, other than a lighter wallet. My conversation with my server confirmed this (and they weren't happy with the pricing, either). So, while I am sure the quality and service were what they pretty much always are (excellent), the prices were not.

We have confirmed so far that at the "top tier" restaurants we know of (Citronelle, Komi, Corduroy, Ray's, Dino) any additional price increases involved additions to the menu or dishes. It seems silly that Eve has to be another line in the argument for not dining out on Valentine's Day. But there it is.

well, at least you liked my fish. :o the bottom line is that these restaurants are free to do want they want. this is a customer satisfaction issue. if folks feel abused by paying more for the exact same item because of the date on which it is prepared, they will migrate there business elsewhere. i have no problem with restuarants charging more on a holiday, i just think that their customers would prefer the illusion that they are getting something a little more or "special" for the extra money.

Agreed. Economics is about trade-offs. Is the extra money they earned by raising the prices worth any disaffection that may have occurred as a result? Only the people who made that decision are in a position to answer this question.

It is not as simple as a restaurant being able to smoothly handle a full house. Most of these "top tier" restaurants consistently do just that, which is why we frequent them. Valentine's Day is particularly challenging. Just a few possible reasons:

1) Tables for two. Six deuces in a section require much more service than, say, 3 four tops, or 2 six tops, thus more stress on the server.

2) Special requests. On Valentine's Day there are significantly more special requests that take up more time (from the server, host stand and kitchen).

Can you please balance this $15,000 ring on the rim of her cocktail, bake it into her desert, bring these flowers to the table after we sit down but before we order, etc.

I can understand raising the prices a bit. It doesn't mean, though, that I'll be paying them. I spent last night freezing my arse off, studying while waiting for my clothes at the laundromat. And I had two delicious cheese pupusas with ensalada de repollo from Veronica's Bakery and Cafe, for $5 (including tip).

I think I lucked into a reservation at Blue Duck Tavern on Tuesday because of the weather. I would normally have not been doing the last minute thing.. I had made a reservation at Palette a few weeks ago and they called me on Monday to confirm and tell me that they would only be offering a fixed price menu that night, which was not noted on Opentable or their web page... my gf doesn't eat shellfish so the menu with scallops and lobster wasn't going to cut it so I was forced to cancel that. Blue Duck Tavern... my first trip.. regular menu... no markups. Excellent meal - so easy to overeat there. Duck was great.. gf got cod... we split leeks and the sweet potato grits. I loved the duck and the cod... especially the sauces. The leeks and grits were just ok.. I think I'd like to go back in the summer when vegetables I like better are in season. Apple pie is great... should've gotten some ice cream to put on top of it instead of ordering the custard, which was good but way more than we could eat. Good attentative service. We were seated near the windows, which for V-day was nice.. but you don't get much of a view of the kitchen.. next time I'll want to get a better view of that.

On 2/1/2011 at 6:34 PM, bookluvingbabe said:

Normally we skip v-day and go out another night. This year though Blpreschooler's school is doing a parents night out on the 14th.

Easy baby-sitting versus going out on amateur night....

Pondering choices. Suggestions welcome. Would need to be something in dc probably.

Thanks!!!!

Sorry for the delay. :)