Dining at Métier and Spending the Night - Where Should I Stay?

reedm

On 2/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, cocobinga said:

I'm coming to town for a comedy show in March (Lincoln Theatre) and looking to burn my IHG anniversary free night award. Which one would you choose?

I probably won't do a lot of sightseeing - mostly dining and taking in the show.

Thanks in advance!

I'm afraid I can't be of help. Would you mind if I piggy-backed on your question?

The wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary at Metier, and I'm looking for a nice place to spend the night. The Intercontinental at the Wharf looks appealing, as does the Donovan. 

Don or a mod can shoo my question away if desired.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reedm said:

I'm afraid I can't be of help. Would you mind if I piggy-backed on your question?

The wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary at Metier, and I'm looking for a nice place to spend the night. The Intercontinental at the Wharf looks appealing, as does the Donovan. 

Thanks!

Henley Park and Morrison House are walking distance.

• Like 1

I don't have anything to add other than to ask when are you going and what are you looking for?  Do you want to be able to walk to the hotel?  The Wharf is definitely a cab ride away.  Google Maps says it's about 2 miles which can be anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour.  But the Wharf is a (small, but) happening area that is usually pretty lively at night.

If taking a cab is not an issue, the entire city is up for grabs. 

For something completely different you could try the Mansion On O St.  It could be the perfect place to stay after Metier or the absolute worst place to stay, depending on your taste.  It's an amazing, weird, funky place that is stuffed to the gills with all sorts of cool stuff.  It's almost like your own fun house to explore with hidden rooms, hidden doors and all sorts of places to explore (including a subterranean wine cellar that looks like it was imported directly from some castle in the Middle Ages, and a Beatles room with a crazy amount of very cool Beatles memorabilia).  The website is not that great, and you'll find better photos on google images, but if you're looking for something unique, check it out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, reedm said:

Thanks!

What about the Eaton Hotel on K ST?

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, reedm said:

Thanks!

In terms of proximity. the hotels to the Southwest are closest - the Marriott Marquis, the Embassy Suites, and the Renaissance.

Screenshot 2019-02-20 at 19.32.02.png

• Like 1

My typically thorough planning skills are lacking today. I didn't research a lunch spot!

Would love to hear recommendations for lunch today, keeping in mind we will be at Metier at 7. 

The Presto lunch at Fiola was my first choice, but it's not offered any longer.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

The Jefferson is oddly in a restaurant desert - maybe Chaia in Georgetown if you're coming from Virginia? It's a quirky, charming spot, and I think you want to keep things vegan, or at least on the lighter end.

If you want to visit National Geographic, the cafeteria is open until 2 PM, I think - it's only a block from where you're staying.

Thanks, Don. We are willing to hop in an uber. Chaia looks tasty, though!

On 2/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, Tweaked said:

For  lunch I would recommend Iron Gate in the Dupont area.  

The carriage house dining room is cozy with a fire place. With the mezze/small plates, you can pace yourself and not get too stuffed with your anniversary dinner later that night.

We ended up having a couple of small plates at the bar, since we arrived between lunch and dinner. The mezze selections were excellent. I won't recount them all, but the warm feta coated in sesame seeds was delicious.  I also got to try orange wine for the first time. I really enjoyed it, probably because I'm a fan of sour beers. 

Thanks for the great suggestion.

• Like 2

The Jefferson is certainly expensive, but the hotel is quite exceptional. Spotlessly clean, with a staff who is skilled in the hospitality business. 

Pricey? Yes, but dollar for dollar, I think it's a better value than some of the higher-end chain hotels. 

• Like 1