Sfoglina (Van Ness Location) - Private Pasta-Making Class for 15 People: Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 12:30-3:30 PM, $80

curiouskitkatt

Since the classes seems to sell out quickly, I inquired about a private class. This is the response I received. 

Good Morning, Kathryn!

Thank you for thinking of Sfoglina for a private pasta class!  We would be delighted to host you!  We can host up to 15 guests for an intensive hands on pasta class that demonstrates how to roll and shape various pastas.  We can accommodate more for classes that focus less on rolling the pasta, and more on creating various shapes.  Was there a particular topic that you had in mind, or a number of guests that you would like to accommodate?  Additionally, did you have a specific date in mind? We can certainly customize a class to suit your needs! 

All the best,

Kristen Dennis

Private Dining Manager

Sfoglina Downtown

---

What would the consensus be that the group would be interested? 

• Like 1

Very interested - If there are more than 15, it would be fine to do the option that would accommodate a larger group. Count us in for 2, unless scheduling conflicts. How soon? I'll just say now that April is bad for us, with two weddings in one weekend, 1500 miles apart!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squidsdc said:

Very interested - If there are more than 15, it would be fine to do the option that would accommodate a larger group. Count us in for 2, unless scheduling conflicts. How soon? I'll just say now that April is bad for us, with two weddings in one weekend, 1500 miles apart!

Hive mind? How would 3/30 work? 

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

If we need a couple more people, I may have a friend or two who would be interested.

I haven’t  forgotten about all who are interested. Im waiting to hear back from Sfgolina on details of our event. I want to give first availability to our members, ( up to 15) then if there extra spots , fill in with others who are interested. Fair enough? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I haven’t  forgotten about all who are interested. Im waiting to hear back from Sfgolina on details of our event. I want to give first availability to our members, ( up to 15) then if there extra spots , fill in with others who are interested. Fair enough? 

sounds good! Just waiting to hear more info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

So is this 3/30 during the day?  I'm in.

Does the $75 pp include any food?  

Class will be held from 11 -2pm on Saturday 3/30. At the price of $75, this will cover class instruction & you will take home the fresh pasta you made. I have discussed the addition of prosecco & antipasti, but that will increase the price a wee bit. If the majority would like this supplement, I will make it so. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I will be drinking prosecco!

ETA -  when is payment required?

As soon as the PD MGR sends over the contract, which will be in a couple days. Please send payment as soon as you know for sure you want to participate in the class. Ill ask that everyone Venmo/ Paypal me so that the day of it can just be charged to my card. Does that work for everyone? 

1 minute ago, Bart said:

Thanks for doing this Kat!    Yes on the paypal/venom.

I'd be up for prosecco & antipasti or the brunch or both!!  But I'll go with the flow of the group.

I will coordinate something where people can  arrive prior to the class to have cocktails , and bubbles & cocktails on their dime, and will add a supplement of something to nosh on during the span of the class. I want the class to be accessible to everyone so I'm trying to keep the cost low. The price of the class starts at $75/ instruction and take home pasta only. With the addition of a spread of snacks this will increase the price a wee bit.  Bear with me until I can finalize it, and I will post the final price and details of the class in a week.  The class will be held on 3/30 from 11 til 3, that is for sure. So please mark your calendar and let me know if you are interested. Thanks everyone for being so patient!

For those who have confirmed with me that they are interested, I have it noted and you are on the list.. Once I have the contract signed, I ask that everyone who wants to sign up, that they paypal or venmo me the fee for the class. You will need to pay for the class to secure your spot once I have posted final details. Sorry to be firm,. but I will be holding the date on my dime, so I ask that everyone be respectful and if they are want to attend to pay for the class to guarantee their seat. This is the part of planning for events that I do not enjoy, but if everyone complies, it makes the planning effortless. I appreciate everyone's help. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me, and I will answer it the best I can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weezy said:

March 30 works for me!  I'm a light drinker, FWIW.  And I'd like to keep it closer to $75 than  $125. 

No worries. This is what Im leaning toward! Arrive a bit early to imbibe on drinks & snacks on your own dime then progress to the pasta class. Just finalizing details. Class will be on 3/30 running from Noonish to 3. The Restaurant doesnt open to the public til 11:30, so this will push the class back a bit. I will have full details as soom as close in on the contract. 

Contract is signed and delivered!!! 

Final details of the class are as follows:

$80 registration fee( $75 + tax= $80)

Saturday 3/30 , 12:30- 3:30

Class will promptly start at 12:30. If you would like to imbibe on cocktails  & and a bite to eat, I may suggest to arrive earlier to do so on your dime .

The cost of registration covers the cost of the class, as well as whatever pasta is made by the participants.  Class will end at 3:30. I ask that everyone not linger after class, on account I may be charged for a substantial supplement for it. I suggest that if participants want to engage in conversation post class that  they transition to the main dining area of Sfgolina.  So beginning immediately, whoever is interested in signing up for the class, please DM me and I will relay my info so that you can send over payment via paypal or venmo. Submitting payment promptly will guarantee you a spot in the class. There are 15 spots available. Due to the popularity of this class, I will not be able to hold any spots without payment. Immediate payment will guarantee you a seat .  All payments must submitted by 3/20. 

If there are any additional questions please do not hesitate to reach out to  me. If I don't have an immediate answer, I will ensure you get one as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone for being so responsive to this event. I hope this with be the first of many. 

DR cruise director,

Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don-earlier thread says Van Ness

On 3/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

Please send me a DM or respond in the thread to confirm your spot! 

3/5 update: There are a total of 15 seats available. 2 have been reserved, 13 remaining! 

724FBEA7-41D6-4D31-8512-ECAC12CC70E1.jpeg

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

is there room for two (maybe three) more? I am definite for 2, waiting to hear from my other daughter if she is available. 

Responded to your DM.

woohoo!! Thank you everyone for acting so promptly! 

Edited by curiouskitkatt
Saw your DM after I posted original post

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Katt, this is at the downtown VAN NESS Sfoglina, right?

Everyone make sure to take note of the location!

Van Ness 4445 CONNECTICUT AVE, Washington, District of Columbia, 20008, United States

class to take place at Van Ness location! 
Looking forward to this!!

On 3/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

$80/ all inclusive. Still space if you are interested!

Unfortunately that weekend went from difficult to impossible due to book-ended travel on either side.  Please enjoy and post some tips!

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

I want to thank everyone for being so prompt in confirming your spots for the class. As of right now I have 4 SPOTS AVAILABLE. If you  are intetested, please send me a DM so I can instruct you how to send payment. This class is going to so much fun! 

3 spots left!! 

I was asked recently to provide details of the class. In a effort to save a bit of scrolling here are the final details:

Handmade Pasta Classes
with award-winning Sfoglina Simonetta Capotondo

In our series of hands-on pasta classes, participants will learn how to make fresh Italian pasta in the traditional method, with a board and rolling pin. Each class will also cover pasta ingredients and tools, techniques of mixing and rolling the dough, shaping various forms of pasta, and the best ways to store fresh pasta. The classes also include a pasta tasting and participants will take home their pasta creations.

Participants will learn how to make the classic egg pasta dough, as well as roll it and cut it into various shapes, such as tagliatelle, pappardelle, maltagliati, farfalline, garganelli, and quadrucci.

Class to take place at

Sfoglina Van Ness

4445 Connecticut Ave NW | Washington DC

Class will begin at promptly at 12:30 and run til 3:30

Please arrive earlier if you are interested in partaking in cocktails and snacks. This is not covered in the price of the class on account I wanted to keep the cost of the class affordable and accommodating to the majority of the class.  If you have any questions about the class, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, along with leaning a new skill!

Buon Appetito!

Kat

On 3/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

I was asked recently to provide details of the class. In a effort to save a bit of scrolling here are the final details:

Handmade Pasta Classes
with award-winning Sfoglina Simonetta Capotondo

In our series of hands-on pasta classes, participants will learn how to make fresh Italian pasta in the traditional method, with a board and rolling pin. Each class will also cover pasta ingredients and tools, techniques of mixing and rolling the dough, shaping various forms of pasta, and the best ways to store fresh pasta. The classes also include a pasta tasting and participants will take home their pasta creations.

Participants will learn how to make the classic egg pasta dough, as well as roll it and cut it into various shapes, such as tagliatelle, pappardelle, maltagliati, farfalline, garganelli, and quadrucci.

Class to take place at

Sfoglina Van Ness

4445 Connecticut Ave NW | Washington DC

Class will begin at promptly at 12:30 and run til 3:30

Please arrive earlier if you are interested in partaking in cocktails and snacks. This is not covered in the price of the class on account I wanted to keep the cost of the class affordable and accommodating to the majority of the class.  If you have any questions about the class, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, along with leaning a new skill!

Buon Appetito!

Kat

The class is next week, and we still have 3 spots available. If any members know of anyone outside this forum that may be interested in joining the pasta class, please encourage them to do so. I thought this class would easily garner the interests of 15 members, but we are a bit short at 12 members attending.  Please spread the word to friends, co workers, partners, neighbors, mailman, anyone  you may think might be interested.  For these last 3 slots, payment( $80) can be made directly to me on the date of the event, if funds are a bit short right now, or  if  you do not happen to have access to Paypal or Venmo. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone next Saturday!!

Help,

kat

I figured I'd ask this publicly to save you from getting 15 private messages!

What was the final word on snacks and drinks?  Are we arriving early/staying late for any of that, or is it just the pasta making class.  I'm good either way!

12 hours ago, Bart said:

I figured I'd ask this publicly to save you from getting 15 private messages!

What was the final word on snacks and drinks?  Are we arriving early/staying late for any of that, or is it just the pasta making class.  I'm good either way!

In an effort to keep the price low, and to appeal to the majority of the group the class only includes a pasta tasting of what will be prepared. I encourage you to arrive earlier to imbibe in adult bevvies and snacks if you would like at your expense.  We could always venture elsewhere or on premise for snacks if some of you are interested but I will leave that up to individuals to decide. I have marked the entire day to be in the District, so personally I am open to whatever. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, squidsdc said:

We'll probably get there a little early. Depends on how late I can try to sleep in 😉 And sorry if this question has already been answered, but do you know what the parking situation is like?

Not sure about parking, but I will find out and post my findings here. Can't wait to meet and rolls pasta with everyone!

9 hours ago, squidsdc said:

We'll probably get there a little early. Depends on how late I can try to sleep in 😉 And sorry if this question has already been answered, but do you know what the parking situation is like?

Van Ness / Sfoglina does not currently offer valet parking at the Van Ness location. We validate parking tickets for up to 2 hours in the Colonial Parking garage found under 4445 Connecticut Avenue. There is also street parking available.

I am really looking forward to this class, and want to thank everyone for being prompt in submitting payment as to make this planning rather effortless .

I just want to confirm the list of who all will be attending on Saturday. This list is as follows:

Lizzie +1

Susan +2 

Dishgo

Squid DC +1

Ericblueboy

Bart +1

Weezy

and of course Me, Curiouskitkatt

Cant wait to meet you all!

• Like 2

Big fun, and a lot of learning was had by all!!

Thanks again to Kat for doing the legwork on this!!     

This was a great class, and the instructor was amazing!  I’d definitely take another class here and recomend this to anyone with the slightest interest.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2