Call Your Mother - Owner Jeff Zients' Jew-ish Deli on Georgia Ave and Lamont St NW, Park View

Did not see a Call Your Mother (Timber’s bagel spinoff) thread, so I’m putting this here, but feel free to move this to wherever it should go if not here.

A word of warning: I am always on the hunt for a great bagel in the DC area, and had seen the hype Call Your Mother was getting, so I was excited when Dolcezza announced they were carrying Call Your Mother bagels at their locations (as there is one right next to my office – much closer than Columbia Heights). I stopped in to try one this morning and got the za’atar bagel, untoasted with cream cheese.

This thing had roughly the same texture as a supermarket bagel, and was essentially tasteless. It tasted like it was at least a day old (possibly more), which for good bagels makes an enormous difference. I haven’t been to CYM to have one fresh so I can’t rule out that their bagels don’t just suck in general, but it seems Dolcezza locations are getting maybe two shipments a week and selling them until they’re gone, which basically makes these things tasteless hockey pucks. And at $4 (with cream cheese), they are not exactly cheap (and several days old are a rip off).

Anyway, short version: don’t get a Call Your Mother bagel at a Dolcezza, and if I was CYM I would be highly concerned about losing business over this (i.e. I had wanted to make it up there before to try them out, but now have zero desire to).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, DonRocks said:

What on earth is a Black & White Alfajor? I know what a Black & White is, and I know what an Alfajor is (the last time I had one, I had bruises all over my body), but never have the twain met, at least not before my eyes.

Just seeing this - how does a cookie result in bruising?

52 minutes ago, ElGuapo said:

The owners of Downtown Silver Spring Farmers Market regulars Call Your Mother have launched the One Trick Pony peanut butter brand, according to a report from Eater D.C.

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/silver-spring-news/2801198/call-your-mother-launches-one-trick-pony-peanut-butter/

At $8 a jar - that better be some damn good peanut butter.

First today - Upper NW had a run on plain bagels at 1pm. Went to CYM for quick bagel lunch. The place was busy with lines and people eating in. What I didn't realize and never experience before midday in a bagel shop, they were out of plain bagels with no ETA on when they would get more. I don't know 100% but I guess the CT Ave location doesn't cook them there but rather they get them delivered from a central bakery. Not a big deal since I like onion- oh wait CYM never has those on the menu 😉 My ET with candied salmon cream cheese was fine.  Luckily, I snagged the final two plain bagels (sourced from Bullfrog) at the Den in the basement of Politics & Prose, so the picky eater kids can enjoy their bagels.  I glad CYM is doing good business but running out of plain midday is not great for a bagel place. My local favorite is still by far Baked by Yael - but they don't have maple cinnamon, zaatar or pumpernickel either - but they do have really good onion bagels. Yael's also gets their lox from local Ivy Citysmoke house vs. CYM slaps their own sticker on still good but non-local Acme.