Sign in to follow this  
arldiner

Call Your Mother - Owner Jeff Zients' Jew-ish Deli on Georgia Ave and Lamont St NW, Park View

Did not see a Call Your Mother (Timber’s bagel spinoff) thread, so I’m putting this here, but feel free to move this to wherever it should go if not here.

A word of warning: I am always on the hunt for a great bagel in the DC area, and had seen the hype Call Your Mother was getting, so I was excited when Dolcezza announced they were carrying Call Your Mother bagels at their locations (as there is one right next to my office – much closer than Columbia Heights). I stopped in to try one this morning and got the za’atar bagel, untoasted with cream cheese.

This thing had roughly the same texture as a supermarket bagel, and was essentially tasteless. It tasted like it was at least a day old (possibly more), which for good bagels makes an enormous difference. I haven’t been to CYM to have one fresh so I can’t rule out that their bagels don’t just suck in general, but it seems Dolcezza locations are getting maybe two shipments a week and selling them until they’re gone, which basically makes these things tasteless hockey pucks. And at $4 (with cream cheese), they are not exactly cheap (and several days old are a rip off).

Anyway, short version: don’t get a Call Your Mother bagel at a Dolcezza, and if I was CYM I would be highly concerned about losing business over this (i.e. I had wanted to make it up there before to try them out, but now have zero desire to).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What on earth is a Black & White Alfajor? I know what a Black & White is, and I know what an Alfajor is (the last time I had one, I had bruises all over my body), but never have the twain met, at least not before my eyes.

Always better the be the alpha and to request a beta hor.