Bread and Pasta on the Green Line

Choirgirl21

Hi all,

So I normally don't eat grains as they make me sick, but I'm about to be tested for celiac disease and gluten allergy/intolerance and in order to get a proper test result you need to be eating gluten. So if you wanted to indulge in some of the best homemade bread and pasta in our area without breaking the bank, where would you go? Prefer MD or something in DC easily accessible on the green line, but I'm open to other options. Would prefer not in VA though.

(I realize not breaking the bank is relative, so maybe no entrees in the $30s? Twenties, meaning pasta is likely in the lower twenties works.)

10 hours ago, Choirgirl21 said:

Hi all,

So I normally don't eat grains as they make me sick, but I'm about to be tested for celiac disease and gluten allergy/intolerance and in order to get a proper test result you need to be eating gluten. So if you wanted to indulge in some of the best homemade bread and pasta in our area without breaking the bank, where would you go? Prefer MD or something in DC easily accessible on the green line, but I'm open to other options. Would prefer not in VA though.

(I realize not breaking the bank is relative, so maybe no entrees in the $30s? Twenties, meaning pasta is likely in the lower twenties works.)

I'd probably grab pasta at Sfoglina, then walk across the street for bread/pastries at BreadFurst.

Edited by zgast
typo
  • Like 1

Assuming you live near Laurel I'd go to Pasta Plus in a minute.  While its been years since I've been there I thought the home made pasta excellent.  Don't recall the bread but if I didn't wow it, I didn't complain about it.  How does it rate against the "best"?   I wouldn't know and again its been years, but my recollection is that the home made pasta was of excellent quality, and after that I don't care about or seek out the best of the best.  When one finds very good quality in something like pasta--keep going back is my thinking.  Support your local better restaurants.

(I'd look at recent reviews in the national review sites--see what recent diners say!!).

If I was going into the District and wanted to stick to the Green Line Dino's in Shaw near the Howard U stop has good fresh made pasta, and I am partial to the bread that comes with it..  Excellent for dipping in Olive oil with pepper.  Best???   Probably not.   Very good for an Italian pasta meal with carbs from pasta and bread.  Both above are reasonably priced.

If I ambled off the green line I like ZGast's suggestion for Sfoglina and Breadfurst.  Great opportunities for some of the very best bread in the region and of course good pasta.

Edit:  I did go to recent reviews for PP in Laurel:  On the question of fresh?  A reviewer answered that question this way--> " Except the penne and rigatoni, yes. They also bake their own authentic bread. Both bread and fresh pasta are available in the market."