Far East, Old-School Chinese in Rockville - Now Perhaps the King of Maryland Dim Sum? Open Since 1974

I encourage others to visit and see if they agree or not -- there may be a new king of dim sum in MD, and it's...Far East?!?

Yes, not a typo.  The one that's been around for 45 years and whose website says that it specializes in "Szechuan and Mandarin" cuisine.  My family and I moved to Montgomery County 40 years ago and I don't recall having been here more than a few times before.

But on the recommendation of their friends, we went with my parents yesterday and (pardon the cliche) it was a revelation.  There's a certain richness and freshness in the shumai and the shrimp dumplings that aren't present anymore at Silver Fountain or Hollywood East.  The radish cakes actually taste like radish, and the taro dumplings have way more filling than fried outer shell.  The items tend to cost $1 more here than at the other dim sum joints, but I suspect that's a function of better ingredients, portion size, and execution.

The place was packed at opening, and when we left around 12:30, there were still tons of folks waiting in the lobby.

This is our family's new dim sum destination in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I encourage others to visit and see if they agree or not -- there may be a new king of dim sum in MD, and it's...Far East?!?

Yes, not a typo.  The one that's been around for 45 years and whose website says that it specializes in "Szechuan and Mandarin" cuisine.  My family and I moved to Montgomery County 40 years ago and I don't recall having been here more than a few times before.

But on the recommendation of their friends, we went with my parents yesterday and (pardon the cliche) it was a revelation.  There's a certain richness and freshness in the shumai and the shrimp dumplings that aren't present anymore at Silver Fountain or Hollywood East.  The radish cakes actually taste like radish, and the taro dumplings have way more filling than fried outer shell.  The items tend to cost $1 more here than at the other dim sum joints, but I suspect that's a function of better ingredients, portion size, and execution.

The place was packed at opening, and when we left around 12:30, there were still tons of folks waiting in the lobby.

This is our family's new dim sum destination in the foreseeable future.

Someone mentioned this the other day on Facebook as well, along with East Pearl, which I had no idea had started doing dim sum. Time for some reconnaissance, methinks!