World's Most "Admired" Wine Brands 2019 - Drinks International's "Ahem" Listicle

This landed in my inbox this morning, from the Dept. of Useless Information.
Drinks International's survey of the world's most admired wine brands. It's a Tour de Force in bullshit, and good reason for consumers to maintain a healthy skepticism of corporate winespeak. Zero info on selection criteria. The global panel of wine experts sounds like an outfit I'd be proud to be kicked out of, if I was a wine expert, that is. Imagine if you are number 15 or 17 on this list.

The World’s Most Admired Wine Brands is considered a leading authority on the most influential and trending wine producers from around the world and the full list can be seen below:

1. Penfolds, Australia

2. Torres, Spain

3. Villa Maria, New Zealand

4. Concha Y Toro, Chile

5. M. Chapoutier, France

6. Sassicaia, Italy

7. E. Guigal, France

8. Marqués de Riscal, Spain

9. Errazuriz, Chile

10. Ridge, USA

11. Cono Sur, Chile

12. Felton Road, New Zealand

13. Campo Viejo, Spain

14. Vega Sicilia, Spain

15. Château Margaux, France

16. Barefoot, USA

17. Tignanello, Italy

18. Château d’Yquem, France

19. Yalumba, Australia

20. Château Petrus, France

21. Cloudy Bay, New Zealand

22. Château Musar, Lebanon

23. Cavit, Italy

24. Château Lafite, France

25. Louis Latour, France

26. McGuigan, Australia

27. Georges Duboeuf, France

28. Château Haut-Brion, France

29. Château Cheval Blanc, France

30. Santa Rita, Chile

31. Jean Marc Brocard, France

32. Oyster Bay, New Zealand

33. Robert Mondavi, USA

34. Château Latour, France

35. Royal Tokaji, Hungary

36. Peter Lehmann, Australia

37. Wolf Blass, Australia

38. Château Mouton Rothschild, France

39. Yellowtail, Australia

40. Ramon Bilbao, Spain

41. Undurraga, Chile

42. Trapiche, Argentina

43. Jacob’s Creek, Australia

44. Beringer, USA

45. KWV, South Africa

46. Château Le Pin, France

47. Nederburg, South Africa

48. Inniskillin, Canada

49. Rosemount Estate, Australia

50. Barton & Guestier, France

In the top 10, only Ridge make superb wines as good or better as they did 30 years ago

But here is the thing. The other brands all were small boutique producers at one time making a slew of great wines before corporatization. 

Ridge was bought by a single owner who told the staff to make Ridge the best winery in the world. That is what would make him happy. I know a lot of the top guys at Ridge and several members of top management have never heard an financial pressure from the owner's corporation. They make their budgets as they wish, and as long as they hit their numbers they get lovely letters of congratulations. And if they have to lower the numbers because of poor vintages, there is no one threatening them. My personal collection has 1 bottle of Ridge for every 6 bottles. We just had a 2009 Carignane that was simply wonderful.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, deangold said:

In the top 10, only Ridge make superb wines as good or better as they did 30 years ago

But here is the thing. The other brands all were small boutique producers at one time making a slew of great wines before corporatization. 

Ridge was bought by a single owner who told the staff to make Ridge the best winery in the world. That is what would make him happy. I know a lot of the top guys at Ridge and several members of top management have never heard an financial pressure from the owner's corporation. They make their budgets as they wish, and as long as they hit their numbers they get lovely letters of congratulations. And if they have to lower the numbers because of poor vintages, there is no one threatening them. My personal collection has 1 bottle of Ridge for every 6 bottles. We just had a 2009 Carignane that was simply wonderful.

This is a solid post.