Museo del Prado (1819-), Spain's National Art Museum in Madrid, Celebrating 200 Years in 2019

Tweaked

Museo del Prado is celebrating its 200 anniversary throughout 2019.  Located in central Madrid, the museum holds one of the great European art collections, with works by Goya, Bosch, El Greco, Peter Paul Rubens, and Titian, among many others. 

The collection has more than 20,000 objects, many drawn from the Spanish Royal Collection.  The centerpiece of the collection is Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez.  The collection also contains such masterworks as Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights and Goya's Third of May. 

If you find yourself in Spain this year, it will be a great time to visit the Prado.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, Tweaked said:

Museo del Prado is celebrating its 200 anniversary throughout 2019.  Located in central Madrid, the museum holds one of the great European art collections, with works by Goya, Bosch, El Greco, Peter Paul Rubens, and Titian, among many others. 

The collection has more than 20,000 objects, many drawn from the Spanish Royal Collection.  The centerpiece of the collection is Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez.  The collection also contains such masterworks as Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights and Goya's Third of May. 

If you find yourself in Spain this year, it will be a great time to visit the Prado.

I remember in 2008, the first time I was going to Madrid, I asked our own Sarah Kennel (Sarah at NGA), "If I'm going to Madrid, and the Prado, what do I see?"

Her response was succinct: "Velázquez and Goya."

It was a wonderfully superficial response to a purposefully superficial question, and it was entirely correct. Thank you, Sarah! 

• Like 1