Tintoretto 500 (Mar 24 - Jun-Jul, 2019) National Gallery of Art. Three-Part Exhibition To Celebrate the 500th Anniversary of Tintoretto's Birth

Tweaked

In celebration of the 500th anniversary of the birth of Jacopo Tintoretto, the National Gallery is launched a major three part exhibition starting March 4 and running thru June 9 and July 7, including the first retrospective of the artist in North America. 

Tintoretto: Artist of Renaissance Venice (March 24-July 7, 2019) 

In celebration of the 500th anniversary of the birth of Jacopo Tintoretto (1518/1519–1594), the National Gallery of Art, Washington and the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia with the special cooperation of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, will organize a major exhibition on the Venetian master. Following its opening at the Palazzo Ducale, Venice, beginning in September 2018, Tintoretto: Artist of Renaissance Venice will travel to the Gallery—its only other venue—from March 24 through July 7, 2019. As the first retrospective of the artist in North America, the exhibition will include many significant international loans traveling to the U.S. for the first time. The exhibition will feature nearly 50 paintings and more than a dozen works on paper spanning the artist’s entire career and ranging from regal portraits of Venetian aristocracy to religious and mythological narrative scenes.

Drawing in Tintoretto’s Venice (March 24-June 9, 2019)

The first exhibition to focus specifically on Tintoretto’s work as a draftsman, Drawing in Tintoretto’s Venice provides new ideas about his evolution as a draftsman, about the dating and function of the so-called sculpture drawings, and about Tintoretto’s place in the Venetian tradition.

Venetian Prints in the Time of Tintoretto (March 24-June 9, 2019) 

Completing the panorama of Venetian art in the time Tintoretto is an exhibition that will present some 40 prints from the second half of the 16th century, ranging from the exquisite etchings of Parmigianino and his immediate followers in the Veneto, to the spectacular woodcuts of Giuseppe Scolari, most from the Gallery’s own collection. They will reveal a critical source for Tintoretto’s artistic formation, parallel developments toward a distinctively Venetian mannerism, and striking graphic responses to the dynamism and expressiveness of Tintoretto’s style.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, Tweaked said:

In celebration of the 500th anniversary of the birth of Jacopo Tintoretto, the National Gallery is launched a major three part exhibition starting March 4 and running thru June 9 and July 7, including the first retrospective of the artist in North America. 

Tintoretto: Artist of Renaissance Venice (March 24-July 7, 2019) 

In celebration of the 500th anniversary of the birth of Jacopo Tintoretto (1518/1519–1594), the National Gallery of Art, Washington and the Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia with the special cooperation of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, will organize a major exhibition on the Venetian master. Following its opening at the Palazzo Ducale, Venice, beginning in September 2018, Tintoretto: Artist of Renaissance Venice will travel to the Gallery—its only other venue—from March 24 through July 7, 2019. As the first retrospective of the artist in North America, the exhibition will include many significant international loans traveling to the U.S. for the first time. The exhibition will feature nearly 50 paintings and more than a dozen works on paper spanning the artist’s entire career and ranging from regal portraits of Venetian aristocracy to religious and mythological narrative scenes.

This first exhibit is hard work, but will be very rewarding if you go and give it 90-minutes of your full attention.

Just the two Self Portraits (one at the beginning, one at the end) are compelling reasons to see this.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Planning on going this Sunday.  What's interesting to eat nearby for brunch?  I'm kind of sick of the Jose Andres' joints and Hill Country BBQ.  I have a bike, can go pretty much anywhere within a couple miles.

National Museum of African-American History Cafeteria

I was at the National Gallery (to see the Life of Animals in Japanese Art), and really wanted to try the Tintoretto inspired Garden Cafe menu, which included bacala mantecato (part of the grilled polenta and cured-fish platter).  But they only do buffet on weekends, which does not include the salt cod. 

Instead I had a tuna croissant sandwich, sides of cauliflower and green beans, and a beer for $26.  I don't mind paying more in support of art but I really wish I could've had the bacala.

• Like 1