"Us" (2019) - Jordan Peele's Horror Film Starring Lupita Nyong'o

DonRocks

I am glad I saw "Us," but it is no "Get Out."

Jordan Peele is a talented director, and the acting in this movie is outstanding--particularly the performance by Lupita Nyong'o in a very demanding role. I am looking forward to Peele's upcoming "Twilight Zone" series. I think this idea is perfectly tailored to his directorial style.

I am not a fan of horror films, and "Us" is heavy on the horror, compared to "Get Out." Maybe it is because I figured out the plot twist early on, but "Us" dragged for me in the last half, and at one point, I felt like I was watching an episode of "The Walking Dead." There are many messages about American society in this film (as there were in "Get Out"),  but the plot, at times, seemed to be manipulated in order to make these points. In comparison, the story in "Get Out" flowed, with more delightful twists and turns revealed throughout.

10 hours ago, DIShGo said:

I am glad I saw "Us," but it is no "Get Out."

Jordan Peele is a talented director, and the acting in this movie is outstanding--particularly the performance by Lupita Nyong'o in a very demanding role. I am looking forward to Peele's upcoming "Twilight Zone" series. I think this idea is perfectly tailored to his directorial style.

This is an interesting comment - Peele's directorial style is very much in keeping with the spirit of "The Twilight Zone" - "Us" being no exception.

"Us" is a deeply flawed film despite fine acting in all four (really, five) major roles - not only was it impossible, but it was also illogical (*) - still, it was better than "Twilight Zone: The Movie."

(*) To understand what I mean, "The Walking Dead" is impossible, but (if you can accept a Zombie Apocalypse), it isn't entirely illogical, at least not in the beginning.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, DIShGo said:

I am looking forward to Peele's upcoming "Twilight Zone" series. I think this idea is perfectly tailored to his directorial style.

What's your early take? Esp. now we know he didn't direct or write any of the episodes.