Having just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's incredible 1988 novel, "The Remains of the Day," and having just re-watched the 1993 film by James Ivory and Ismail Merchant, "The Remains of the Day," ... AND, having watched the fantastic interview with Ishiguro, discussing his novel (and the film) on TIFF Bell Lightbox here (watch the interview after reading this post) ...

... my question for Mr. Ishiguro is this (and I must stress that this question is implicitly raised in the first five-minutes of the above interview):

"Have you succumbed to being a butler, given that you did your absolute best, finest work, and ultimately handed it over to Lord Darlington, when your novel was made into a film?"

Mr. Ishiguro is going to read the above question, and quite possibly feel like a knife was shoved into his stomach; if he doesn't, then I haven't done my job, because this issue is nearly identical with the overall theme of his novel, according to his very own interpretation.

I don't think many people will understand what I'm trying to say here, but I'm almost certain that Mr. Ishiguro will.

A round of applause to DIShGo for coming up with this question - as soon as she said it, I knew she had come up with a brilliant issue.