Estuary at the Conrad, the Voltaggio Bros' seafood joint

The best part of dinner was ordering a bottle of Pommery for $72.  The second best part was the service, very smooth for a new restaurant.  The third best part is they can fry some calamari (very tender) and hash browns (they called it galette, went well with the trout roe).  The fourth best part is the toasted buttered roll served with the crab salad (nothing special about the crab salad).  The rest wasn't so good.  The ceviche is okay ( I don't like nuts with my raw fish), the whitefish Milanese (served raw not fried) was absolutely flavorless (no salt, no acid, nothing).  The lamb pastrami was completely dried out, the octopus (tender) with kelp pasta was inedibly fishy.  We did not finish 5 of 7 courses, with the lamb and octopus almost untouched.  

Didn’t see either brother in the kitchen, which is surprising for a new restaurant.

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

• Like 3

Great pics.  I feel like these two have really fallen off since basically a year after Top Chef.  I had one really good meal at VOLT, one solid meal at Range, and a great meal at Ink back many years now but everything since has been absolutely middling.  I'll wait to read more reviews before shelling out for this place, the Voltaggios need to earn my trust back..... 😏

3 hours ago, DPop said:

Great pics.  I feel like these two have really fallen off since basically a year after Top Chef.  I had one really good meal at VOLT, one solid meal at Range, and a great meal at Ink back many years now but everything since has been absolutely middling.  I'll wait to read more reviews before shelling out for this place, the Voltaggios need to earn my trust back..... 😏

They spread themselves way too thin. We tried Family Meal at One Loudoun and it was completely MEH.

The Voltaggio bros are no longer affiliated with Estuary.  The menu looked interesting so we went back.  For some reason, most of the food arrived at our table lukewarm and suffered as a result. We had pigs ears, hush puppies, eggplant, squash dan dan noodles, lamb cassoulet, foie gras mousse, and roasted oysters.  Maybe they'll work out the kinks and this could be a nice place for interesting local food.

• Like 3