Need Opinions about Staying at an AirBnB in Washington, DC

DonRocks

I would say that as long as you are ok with taking some Ubers it isn't a bad location for a trip.  It would be a little far of a walk to the metro each day, to then walk around the Smithsonian's, but should be a pretty affordable Uber ride.  There are a lot of government buildings in that area, so it doesn't have the most restaurants, but you aren't far from areas with lots of restaurants and stop ins to get some snacks and you will be down along the mall for a lot of your trip and finding options down there.  North Carolina also has a lot of kid friendly types of places in the Capitol Hill area.  

Yes. Good location. I walk a lot so to me it's not too far to the metro. Union Station, Capitol South, and Eastern Market are all near that circle. Depending on which museums, you could walk the whole way. I guess it depends on the age of the kids and how much walking people are up to (plus weather).

There are also buses--Metro and Circulator. Circulator [<--link] is now free. Routes may not match up exactly with where you're going but, as you're moving around, the paths might intersect more.  Plus, Uber, Lyft, etc.

Restaurants along the Massachusetts Avenue corridor aren't too noteworthy, but the ones by Eastern Market and Barracks Row would be fairly within reach.

The Eastern Market to L'Enfant Circulator takes you down to Navy Yard and close to the Wharf. There's also a Circulator along the Mall.

It would be a fantastic location for a family looking to spend 3-4 days.  The kids are close to Stanton Park, so if the kids are under 8, they have a playground where they can "live like a local" and play with other kids their age.  Plus Capitol Hill is a signature neighborhood, maybe only behind Dupont Circle or Georgetown.  

I no longer recommend families taking the Metro, the trade off between that and an Uber is just not worth any minimal savings for the combined fares.  I firmly believe families do not want to spend their scarce family time being uncomfortable on Metro.  That said, Pat is right, Union Station has a bunch of tour buses headquartered there, and the free Circulator, too.  

Plenty of grocery stores nearby.  After dinner, an easy stroll to the Capitol, which is gorgeous at night.  The Library of Congress is the most beautiful "museum" of them all, standing on the steps of the Supreme Court is fun.  Botanical Gardens is also very close, very family friendly.  

Here's an excerpt from my "Low-Key Local Adventures" guidebook:

Lunch and trains/post office

Union Station, 50 Mass. Ave. NE

• Food Court downstairs, more restaurants on main level, retail on main and upstairs levels
  • Stroll the Main Hall and marvel at the gold-leaf ceilings
  • Take the kids across the street to the free National Postal Museum (2 Mass. Ave. NE), very interactive and fun!