Weekday lunch near DCA, dietary restrictions

DanielK

Taking a cousin to lunch tomorrow. She has a mid-afternoon flight out of DCA, so need something in Arlington/Alexandria/etc. - maybe within 10-15 minute drive from the airport?

She has some odd medical dietary restrictions that are similar to a low-FODMAP diet. So she can have plain grilled/seasoned proteins and vegetables, but nothing marinated, no garlic/onions, no starches. For that reason, she has to avoid a lot of "ethnic" foods. She eats at a lot of steak/burger places when she eats out, or orders a salad; last night we had Greek at Kellari Taverna, and that was perfect.

I'd love to take her to Jaleo, but I don't think she can navigate that menu. I know there's a Ted's Montana, Good Stuff, Legal, and McCormick & Schmick's right there, but was hoping for something more interesting.

Any good ideas?

Trying to rack my brain, the only thing I can think of would be Kabob palace, but their sides don't strike me as ones she could eat.  I am not sure if Souvlaki bar marinates their meats, their greek salad is really good and I am sure they would have plain oil and vinegar for dressing?  But you just had Greek.  Ruth Chris is in CC, too.  Sorry, this is a tough one.

The North End of Alexandria has Rustico, and, slightly further away, Bastille.  Myself, and a couple of people I know, refer to Rustico as the "cell phone waiting lot" for DCA. (my son flies into DCA on a semi-regular basis in the evening hours)  It is a stone's throw away from the GW Parkway on Slaters Lane, and, at that time of day, you are less than 10 minutes away from the airport exit off of the GWP.

1 hour ago, weezy said:

Can she do BBQ?  There's Epic Smokehouse in Crystal City and Mixon's BBQ in Old Town

I don't think so, because rubs/sauces are likely to have garlic, and the sides are all out.

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

Trying to rack my brain, the only thing I can think of would be Kabob palace, but their sides don't strike me as ones she could eat. 

They marinate all of their meats, too. 

I never thought I'd recommend William Jeffreys Tavern, but that may be what you're looking for (I think it's just awful, but it is "plain"). Taqueria El Poblano (the one on Columbia Pike) is probably a better bet - you can just head north after lunch, and zip onto I-395 towards the airport (beware of the "Merge from Hell"). You can also see the Air Force Memorial if you have 5-10 extra minutes - just drive in, park, see it, and leave (it's worth the stop).

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I never thought I'd recommend William Jeffreys Tavern, but that may be what you're looking for (I think it's just awful, but it is "plain"). Taqueria El Poblano (the one on Columbia Pike) is probably a better bet - you can just head north after lunch, and zip onto I-395 towards the airport (beware of the "Merge from Hell"). You can also see the Air Force Memorial if you have 5-10 extra minutes - just drive in, park, see it, and leave (it's worth the stop).

The Tavern is just the kind of restaurant that should work - until you carefully read the menu. Meats are almost all marinated. Side veggies are sauteed in onions, garlic, shallots, etc. Even salads have ingredients she has to ask not to be included. We could probably make it work, but it's *work*. Mexican is almost uniformly out, again because of marinated meats and onions in everything.

I threw Rustico and Bastille by her, and will see what she says.

1 hour ago, DanielK said:

The Tavern is just the kind of restaurant that should work - until you carefully read the menu. Meats are almost all marinated. Side veggies are sauteed in onions, garlic, shallots, etc. Even salads have ingredients she has to ask not to be included. We could probably make it work, but it's *work*. Mexican is almost uniformly out, again because of marinated meats and onions in everything.

I threw Rustico and Bastille by her, and will see what she says.

Go to Qdoba at the airport and get a veggie burrito.

7 hours ago, DanielK said:

Taking a cousin to lunch tomorrow. She has a mid-afternoon flight out of DCA, so need something in Arlington/Alexandria/etc. - maybe within 10-15 minute drive from the airport?

She has some odd medical dietary restrictions that are similar to a low-FODMAP diet. So she can have plain grilled/seasoned proteins and vegetables, but nothing marinated, no garlic/onions, no starches. For that reason, she has to avoid a lot of "ethnic" foods. She eats at a lot of steak/burger places when she eats out, or orders a salad; last night we had Greek at Kellari Taverna, and that was perfect.

I'd love to take her to Jaleo, but I don't think she can navigate that menu. I know there's a Ted's Montana, Good Stuff, Legal, and McCormick & Schmick's right there, but was hoping for something more interesting.

Any good ideas?

A:  Where does she dine that is interesting???  (oh...you answered it above)

B.  Crystal City, with all those places you mention can give her exactly what works.

Cheesetique Del Ray - it's perfect. Get the full plate without bread, and ask for a little extra cheese or condiments in its stead (call in advance). Hell, if Jill's working, say I recommended it - she's good with this type of thing, but call in advance.

What about a sushi place?  she could get sashimi and then maybe like an avocado and cucumber salad sans dressing?  Or veggie rolls without rice (I assume seaweed is safe, but I don't know?) I am not sure what edamame is considered...