RedRocks Pizzeria, a Local Chain Now Open in Several Area Locations

After the rain chased us out of Nats park last night, we decided not to waste the babysitter, and headed over to the soft-opened RedRocks on H St. NE.  The space is pretty amazing.  Very open, lots of exposed brick.  It will definitely be loud once the long bar gets hopping (and it will).  Tons of room upstairs as well.

We sat at the bar and had a couple beers.  The draft list is largely regional brews (DC Brau, Flying Dog, Devil's Backbone, Dogfishhead) with a number of other craft brews from around the country.  Happy to see they didn't get lazy with the drink options.

We weren't planning on eating, but the smell of pizza + a couple beers got the better of us, and we ordered a pizza.  We chose the Toscana (tomato sauce, salame, red peppers, mozz).  The crust was cooked well, but was quite dense, with a more pronounced cornicione than I like.  They also used waaay too much cheese for the pie, which is an odd thing to complain about, but here we are.

For pizza in the NE quadrant, I prefer Menomale, but we'll still be back at RedRocks, given its proximity to our place, and the stack of highchairs I saw ready for deployment in the back corner.

• Like 1

Dear RedRocks,

If you have 4 area locations, I'd like to know their addresses.  I've been looking around your website and can't find them!  Individual location pages with phone numbers, photos of the outside of each location, and reservations links don't quite do the job.  I'm not so lazy that I can't find them myself via other methods, but I'd like to find them out from directly from you!

Jason and I went to the H Street location on Sunday afternoon at about 1 PM.  It really is a great space - there is a lot of natural light, and on a beautiful day like Sunday, they had the windows open and the fresh air was a very welcome part of the experience.  Unfortunately, they were serving brunch (which goes till 4 PM!!!) - but when Jason asked if he could get a pizza or calzone from the regular menu, the kitchen obliged.  I got the lamb breakfast pizza, which was nice except for the overcooked egg on top (it was supposed to be sunny side up, but it came out more like over medium) and the fact that it needed a bit more salt.  Jason got a meat calzone, and though it was stuffed to the brim with fillings and ricotta, he said that he would have preferred mozzarella (and I pointed out that there was another calzone on the menu that would have suited his preferences - or he could have built his own).  The draft list was pretty impressive - a good mix of standards and seasonals.  Service was fine at the bar.

I would definitely return for dinner sometime.

• Like 1

The H street NW space is amazing. Three floors with all kinds of seating options including a great rooftop deck. While we were having a drink around 5:00 there were a few families with small children downstairs and happy hour drinkers on the roof, Plenty of space for everyone. has anyone been there when it was crowded? Just curious if they run efficiently with a full house.

I want to agree with those above about the space. It's fantastic. I've now eaten here twice, both times at the bar, and I'm glad it's in the neighborhood.  Good beer list, solid food (the pizza crust is a bit thicker and chewier than I prefer, but it was still tasty), and good service, at least at the bar. I love how those big front windows can be opened up to H Street. 

Just want to say that, on a nice day, this may be the best roofdeck in the city. Views of the Capitol and the Washington Monument (not to mention huge swaths of NE DC); a great bar that opens up inside and outside, and televisions where you can watch your football game from outside. And on Saturday at lunchtime, no crowd at all. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Picked up a pizza from the Old Town Red Rocks last weekend--they have a couple parking spots blocked off for "curbside pickup", but there was no curbside pickup in evidence--had to go into restaurant where they had the pizza boxes lined up on the bar, which wasn't too bad except they also wanted me to sign a receipt, which was weird since I had paid online.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Red Rocks (Columbia Heights) tonight.  1 pizza, 1 calzone, bottle of wine, and aviation cocktail. Very nice.

And takeout tonight again. Funghi pizza for me. 6 Shooter pizza for him. And a nice bottle of wine.

Oh how we miss sitting at the bar, talking to Dave and Spencer, talking to our neighbors, watching baseball, or out of season, food network or star trek, and just being with people. And pizza straight out of the oven.

• Like 5

Pizza night!

Pepperoni and pineapple pizza for me. 6 shooter, plus garlic for him. Also wine, a Toscano. Salads, but we made those. And some of the remaining cherry almond cookies.

Chatted with Dave, and we are all almost vaccinated/safe. Soon..... soon.....

• Like 2

Spent yesterday doing a whole bunch of work on produce. I chopped up watermelon - I LOVE watermelon! The boy pitted a flat of sour cherries for me for freezing. 

So, we wanted something easy for dinner. Pizza and drinks. He had his usual. I had a delicious pizza with buratta. A negroni for him, and aperol spritz for me, and then a glass of fizzy pink wine with the pizza for me, and a hop bomb IPA for him. Baseball on tv, as well as soccer. The only flaw, loud soccer fans.  But so nice overall. I do love to be able to go OUT!

Seems I am the only one here who eat at Red Rocks! Pizza happy hour at the bar last Friday. Drinks, wine, MTV classic on the tv, pizza. It was good, and as ever, lovely to see our bar staff friends.

• Like 1