Rodney Hood (1992-) - Shooting Guard and Small Forward for the Portland Trail Blazers

DonRocks

Sometimes, when I'm watching a basketball game, I get bored, and decide to focus on a single player - not looking at the ball; just that one, single player ... it sounds wacky, but I get quite a bit out of it, and learn a whole lot about how that player operates.

In the past few minutes, it has been #5 for the Portland Trail Blazers, Rodney Hood, who has also played for the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Utah Jazz - in college, he played for Duke after transferring from Mississippi State.

My initial impression of Hood is that he's very big (he's 6'8"), and also a step too slow for playing so far out of the paint - he has gotten burned a couple of times based on his lack of quickness, and I wonder if he'd have done better in the NBA of 20-years ago. 

Anyone who thinks this is a crazy way to watch a basketball game should try it, even if only for ten minutes - you can really get a feel for what a player is doing, and how he plays. I "know" Rodney Hood's game a lot better now than I did just 20-minutes ago.

With 5:23 left in the 3rd quarter, he's covering Stephen Curry. He just drove strong to the hoop, and missed a dunk, but was fouled hard by Draymond Green - Hood is a lefty, and sank both free throws - he now has 9 points coming off the bench.

During games I watch for certain players and try and follow them on both sides of the court.  Last evening I was a bit focused on one bit player, but not Hood.  Can't really comment on him.  If I'm not mistaken I think he had a bad leg injury.  That could contribute to his relative slowness (that is a guess).

Last evening between feeling sleepy and snoozing on and off during that game I did focus on someone less obscure; Zach Collins from Portland.  Nothing much to say; Collins didn't play many minutes.  He wasn't a positive. 

Meanwhile with Durant out the Warriors really work to get Klay Thompson and Curry the ball.  Both shot a lot.  Boy Steph Curry can and does shoot from very far out.   So does Lilliard, Portland's star, and Curry's brother, Seth, who in a reserve role played well.

(Damn, the older I get the more likely I'll fall asleep during late games.  Damn)  

Oh and btw:   There was a recent article/analysis about Hood and Collins