Real ID - Required in Airports as of Oct, 2020, Available To Get on Your Drivers License

DonRocks

You can now get Real ID on your drivers licenses, and as of Oct 2020, you'll need a Real ID-approved piece of identification to get through airport security.

I don't know all the details of this, but maybe someone else does. I can tell you this much: You cannot provide "documents" on your cell phone, so if you've gone entirely paperless, you may have trouble furnishing a utility bill (doesn't that suck?)

"1 Million Maryland Drivers with State-Issued Real ID Licenses Still Are Not Compliant" by Luz Lazo on washingtonpost.com

I just got my Real ID in DC, Georgetown DMV.  It was actually rather painless, other than taking the time off to go to the DMV. In and out under 30 minutes.

I brought:

Social security card, passport, electric bill and gas bill.

If you have paperless accounts, you can print out copies of bills and bring them. 

I had to take an eye test and they take a new photo. The id should arrive in 2-3 weeks and they gave me a paper temporary license to cover in between. 

I did it in CA.  It's more or less just renewing your license in person with a few extra documents (in my case, a certified birth certificate, SS card, a W-2 form, and an insurance card; the last two for documenting residency).  The DMV will have a list of acceptable documents for proving residency and even with electronic bills most people have a lot of documents that will qualify.  You do have to submit paper copies for them to photocpy and keep on file,and  can absolutely print out bills, etc., to bring in.  Went to the DMV to get in line before it opened and was out in less than an hour (since an appointments had to be made months in advance) even with getting a photo taken.

I was glad to get it, since I don't want to haul out my passport for domestic travel next year! Also, I had to get my license renewed anyway so it wasn't much more trouble.

Long long line at the Gallows Rd. DMV this (Saturday) morning.

I had to present my identifications to a lady whose job is to hand out a numbered ticket.  She looked at my social security card and my passport and said they don't match (because my middle-name is spelled out in my passport but only my initial is on the social security card).  She told me I have to go home and find another form of I.D.

On my way out, I looked at a print-out of the ID requirements, which states "If your middle name is not displayed, or only your middle initial appears on some of your documents, they may still be accepted."

So I went back in the DMV.  The security guard then told me there's no point for me to argue with the clerk - the person I need to see is the Manager.  So the Manager looks at my IDs and says I'm okay, I just need to go back to the clerk and get a ticket - and tell her that the Manager has approved my IDs.  

So in total, I spent 2 hrs at the DMV for my real ID.

4 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

There’s an unusually long line at Gallows Road DMV this morning and I arrived 20 minutes before the DMV opened.

Weekends in the summer (with kids out of school) are not the best times to go! I suspect you waited close to two hours once you got inside, and that it was hellish.

The Virginia DMV has an "estimated wait" feature online - just type in the location, and it will give you the estimates - here's the link.

Even with this feature, the DMV is primitive: You take a ticket, and have *no clue* how long you'll be sitting there. It's just awful.

• Like 1

Same system at the DC social security office.  Wait in line against the wall to get a ticket number, wait for your number to be called. It ended up being the same person who gave me the ticket in the first place. 

On 6/8/2019 at 4:59 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Long long line at the Gallows Rd. DMV this (Saturday) morning.

I had to present my identifications to a lady whose job is to hand out a numbered ticket.  She looked at my social security card and my passport and said they don't match (because my middle-name is spelled out in my passport but only my initial is on the social security card).  She told me I have to go home and find another form of I.D.

On my way out, I looked at a print-out of the ID requirements, which states "If your middle name is not displayed, or only your middle initial appears on some of your documents, they may still be accepted."

So I went back in the DMV.  The security guard then told me there's no point for me to argue with the clerk - the person I need to see is the Manager.  So the Manager looks at my IDs and says I'm okay, I just need to go back to the clerk and get a ticket - and tell her that the Manager has approved my IDs.  

So in total, I spent 2 hrs at the DMV for my real ID.

Ugh, those front ticket folks can be the worst!! Especially since they guard the gates to get to the next step and often have wrong/incomplete information.  Once, back in the day the VA DMV ticket person wouldn't let me through because I didn't have a green card, which they insisted was the form of ID I must present to get my license. They wouldn't accept that I'm a Boston-born U.S. citizen and DON'T HAVE A GREEN CARD.  I actually had to leave to go get my passport because I didn't think to take up the issue with a manager like you did.  Still get mad thinking about it!!

• Confused 1

Same experience as Ericandblueboy at DMV Gallows Road VA.  2+ hours wait.  Arrived 10 am mid-week mid-month July (thinking that time/day would have less demand at DMV than the start/end of the month/week), assigned a number then...sat. 

2.5 hours later, called to the counter at 12:30.  Enrollment took 15 minutes - and I had all the necessary docs out on the counter.

My observation is DMV is understaffed and unprepared.  The only NOVA location (Gallows Rd) will be slammed with the big demand for RIDE alongside the many other customers of DMV services.  Remember: you can get RIDE only at DMV in person - not online.  You must travel to the specific DMV location (not a remote site).  Helpful tip: fill in the RIDE application at the DMV site using your account, bring a hard copy, the DMV agent can access the pre-filled app from the DMV site.  That cut down time at the counter vs filling out the application by hand at the counter.

The RIDE application process is poorly planned out.  Applicants are tossed in the hopper with everyone else seeking something at DMV.  There is no special line or dedicated agents to handle just RIDE licenses at DMV.

Friendly suggestion:  don't wait for later in the year or 2020.  Bite the bullet, endure the wait at DMV now - it can only get worse.

2 hours ago, wristband said:

The only NOVA location (Gallows Rd) will be slammed with the big demand for RIDE alongside the many other customers of DMV services. 

What does this mean, the only NOVA location?

You know what sucks? Every 10 years, you have to get a new license - the first 10 years, you can renew it online, but after 20 years, you must go in. Mine expires in a few weeks, and it has been 20 years. :(

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

What does this mean, the only NOVA location?

Tysons Corner, i.e. Gallows Road DMV's is the most easily accessible for a majority of Fairfax County. 

I helped my parents switch their Drivers Licenses to Real ID and yes, they had two trips because one of the supporting documents could not be used.

My wife and I need to do it but like others mentioned, it seems to take 2-3 hours these days. 

To answer Don: I misspoke.  The in-person application requires one to go to DMV centers - not DMV mobile units or online. As Lion noted, the most convenient (and largest) for many of us in NOVA will likely be the Gallows Road site. 

But there are others available as noted on the DMV's web site: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/DMVLocator/

2-3 hours was also our mid-July experience. I suspect the time commitment is due to greatly increase this fall & winter for obvious reasons (students returning, demand for other DMV services after the summer season ends, increased publicity about the need for RIDE in 2020).

The process at the Maryland MVA was convenient and efficient.  I made an appointment online a few weeks ago and the system allowed me to print out a customized list of the documents I needed to bring.  When I arrived for my appointment, I went to a separate line and was immediately directed to one of the attendants who processed the paperwork.  Total time spent was about 20 minutes.  I got the new license about a week later.  

I've always been happy with the service I've gotten from the MVA locations in MoCo.