John Brown General & Butcher Shop which once was a gas station and general store has been become one of my favorite spots to pop into on my way to Baltimore. Walking into this quaint shop is like taking a tour through the pages of Bon Appetite Magazine. From the meat case that showcases cuts , to the other case that houses an abundant selections to build a buzz worthy charcuterie board, and there is no shortage of options. As you head back of the building, you will find an array of spirits ranging from wine to liquor as well as local beer.  In the few visits that I have made, I have feasted on cold cut subs, hamburgers, house cut french fries, and more recently hot chicken. All prepared in house, and lip smacking delicious. Heading into the warmer months, you can cross the street and pick up flowers and produce at a market stand. Anything you could ever need to prepare a delicious meal can be found at this charming little outpost. 

Thank you, @curiouskitkatt! We're thinking about driving from Silver Spring to Lancaster (Dutch Wonderland) in a couple of weeks, and we'll be passing right by this place. I'd been thinking we'd grab subs somewhere on our way but hadn't figured out where yet. I'll definitely look into this place. Does the menu vary a lot from day to day or do they always have certain things on the menu (e.g., a cheeseburger or hot dog for the 5-year-old)?

Also, off-topic, but I thought I read somewhere about a creamery near Dutch Wonderland, but now I can't figure out where that might be. Do you know what I'm thinking of by any chance? I didn't see any mention in the various Lancaster and Amish Country threads, unless I missed it.

ETA: Never mind -- per Yelp they appear to have one or two sandwich options per day, so this may not work for us. 😞

From what I can tell they do have two sub options at the Butcher shop. An italian cold cut , and I cannot recall the other one. i think perhaps a a turkey or Ham club. 

As far as creamery go in Lancaster, I highly recommend Fox Meadows Creamery, but there are several in & around Lancaster County. Perhaps you may be thinking of Oregon Dairy , or Pine View?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Hmm, Oregon Dairy sounds familiar, but Fox Meadows looks awesome. Thanks!!

FOX is awesome! They prepare all of the flavors on premise. Oregon Dairy serves Hershey Brand Ice Cream. And they let you sample as many flavors as you want...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dracisk said:

Thank you, @curiouskitkatt! We're thinking about driving from Silver Spring to Lancaster (Dutch Wonderland) in a couple of weeks, and we'll be passing right by this place. I'd been thinking we'd grab subs somewhere on our way but hadn't figured out where yet. I'll definitely look into this place. Does the menu vary a lot from day to day or do they always have certain things on the menu (e.g., a cheeseburger or hot dog for the 5-year-old)?

Also, off-topic, but I thought I read somewhere about a creamery near Dutch Wonderland, but now I can't figure out where that might be. Do you know what I'm thinking of by any chance? I didn't see any mention in the various Lancaster and Amish Country threads, unless I missed it.

ETA: Never mind -- per Yelp they appear to have one or two sandwich options per day, so this may not work for us. 😞

The website is currently under construction, but they do happen to have an active Facebook page as well as Instagram. I'm certain you could inquire what they have available.  The food is exceptional, and the breads they use for their subs are provided by Cunninghams's in Towson. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, dracisk said:

adding to your growing list of options The Turkey Hill Experience. As you can imagine, there is no shortage of choices of where to go for ice cream!

• Thanks 1

BF and I were up in the city to see NRBQ at the Ottobar on Friday night.  This place is catty-corner across the street and we stopped in for dinner before the  show.  Very solid place, very good service, a lot of outdoor dining space and a firepit, although we ate inside -- pretty chilly that night.  Inside is what I would call warm industrial style, pleasant but I could see in non-pandemic spacing it could get pretty loud in there.  Wood burning pizza oven and the pies that came by looked good, about 16" or so.  I had the butcher's case sausage with collards and spaetzle, and that night's sausage was a spicy Italian.  Well cooked, although I found the sausage itself a bit on the dry side, and the collards could have stewed a bit longer, but both nits were minor.  The spaeztle had been pan fried after boiling and had a nice crunchy-chewy texture.  BF had the rigatoni with ragu and it was a very good ragu, pasta cooked al dente.  The serving sizes were appropriate -- we were neither stuffed nor hungry after finishing our plates.  Split the ice cream sandwich for dessert -- a peanut butter frozen custard in between thin layers of chewy brownie -- and how do you go wrong with PB & chocolate?  The two of us, an IPA and a glass of house red plus tip, we were out of there a little under $100, so that certainly seemed a fair price for a good meal.  

• Like 1