Sign in to follow this  
ktmoomau

Sour Beers

Ok, so I knew nothing about sour beers until I tried one at Veil Brewing in Richmond.  And I really liked it.  I am not a huge beer person, but I tend to really like sour things.  I went to the Dept of Wine and Beer to see what they had and bought the Old Bust Head Pink Lemonade which was good, but not super sour.  Anyone have any other sours they like? Especially ones that can be acquired in cans (that is what fits in the beer/wine fridge).

SeaQuench Ale, by one of Don's "favorite" breweries, Dogfish Head, is a great, refreshing, summer sour (lime, lemon), and is only available in cans (IIRC).  It is also very affordable, in the realm of sours, being priced like a "normal" 6-pack of craft beer.  (Sours can get to be almost prohibitively expensive.)  Any sours by Veil, Vasen (which just started canning and distributing to Northern Virginia), or Commonwealth, is likely to be good to very good.  Three Notch'd also cans a passionfruit gose that is pretty darned good.  Aside from Dogfish Head, the other breweries are Virginia-based.  Old Pro gose by Union Craft of Baltimore is a great example of an unfruited gose, with just the tartness and a bit of saltiness, also in cans and generally available at craft brew shops locally.  At the higher end (price-wise), The Bruery out of California is turning out some really good sours, but around here they will mostly be in large-format (750 mL) bottles.  They are fairly widely available, but they also have their own shop with a huge selection in the Union Market area, quite close to St. Anselm (closed Sundays at present).

ETA: minor nit to pick, it is the "Department of Beer and Wine" (not "wine and beer") over there in Potomac Yards, with the appropriate (IMHO) ordering of their liquid offerings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1