Port City Java, a North Carolina-Based Franchise on 7th Street and (Coincidentally?) North Carolina Avenue SE at Eastern Market - Closed

51 minutes ago, Pat said:

Port City Java, which was in the old antique shop space opposite the North Hall of Eastern Market, has changed ownership/management and name. The overhead sign for "7th St Hill Cafe" just went up today.  The sign that has been up for a week or so in the door indicates it is closed for renovations and change in management. From what I've been able to find out, it seems that the franchise owner for Port City decided it was too expensive to renew the franchise because of the high rent. It seems to be completely new ownership, even though the note on the door only refers to management.

I went to put this is a Port City Java thread and discovered there never was one. I liked the place and their coffee. It's been very popular in the neighborhood.

I checked with the people at the newly named Hill Cafe on 15th Street and A, NE, and this place is not affiliated with them.

Pat, you probably know this, but others may not:

Port City Java is a Wilmington, NC based franchise (not a chain) that was established in 1995. As of this writing, they have numerous locations in (primarily Eastern) NC, and one in Greenville, SC.