Patsy's American, Route 7 in Tysons Corner - A Great American Restaurants Group Future American Chain

Paty's American looks and feels familiar, which is no surprise given it's a new restaurant in the GAR group. To be clear, I've always liked these restaurants, believing they offer a good meal (and most often I think it's better than good), that's reasonably priced, and comes with excellent service. To be sure, thats my take on most "upscale chains" (e.g. Cheesecake Factory), and I'm not a tough critic in general, so you might need a grain of salt with this review. Still, one among an army of hostesses led us to a comfortable booth in a neo-industrial space (with one wall having a gigantic, and bizarre mural consisting of an eclectic collection of famous people), drink orders were taken promptly, and our server even asked our preference for bread in the soon-to-arrive bread basket (we wanted those donut hole-like rolls, natch). I had the Tex-Mex Eggrolls and the Louisiana Pasta and both held up their end of the bargain. We were handled by multiple servers and bus-persons, and everyone was eager to help. The boy got the Calamari, and the lobster ginger sauce that came with it was very tasty. The wife got the Charleston Salad, which looked fresh and comes with quite a bit of fried chicken.

This restaurant holds the line with the others.

• Like 2

I know there's a following for GARG restaurants here, but when I see "neo-industrial space" in the comments, I think of the typical ear-splitting din of GARG restaurants and why they are so unappealing to me.

I also assume with the Tex-Mex egg rolls, the Charleston salad, and the Louisiana pasta, they are also pushing the same menu at all of their differently-named outposts. Short-smoked salmon, where are you?

---

Blue Ridge Grill (Bob Wells)

16 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I also assume with the Tex-Mex egg rolls, the Charleston salad, and the Louisiana pasta, they are also pushing the same menu at all of their differently-named outposts. Short-smoked salmon, where are you?

That is more or less an accurate statement.  However, for those with a less negative assessment of the fare, I suspect that Patsy's has the GAR A-team working these opening weeks.  The Blue Crab & Shrimp Fritters I had there this past Saturday appeared a step up from previous iterations I have been served at other GAR locations over the years.  So, if anyone is at all inclined to partake, I suggest that it is never going to get better than it is now.

I ate at Patsy's last Wednesday and the service was great.  All of the servers came from other GAR locations.  The food was quite good and in fact I'll be back again this Wednesday.  Tysons needs a few more place like this that are reliable and have reasonably good food.  They have a back bar which looked great and seems to be a good alternative to BJs for watching sports.

1 hour ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I thought I read somewhere that the menu is supposed to consist of GARG greatest hits, so yes, the menu will look very familiar.

Ate here last night with some friends.  Much more crowded a week after opening.  Had a great roasted 1/2 chicken which was semi-boned such that the breast was boneless while still attached to the 1st wing section.  Brussels sprouts were not roasted to carmelization but were served with a tangy dressing. My wife had the salmon salad and loved the smoked salmon.

We went to the back bar after to part the 3rd period of the hockey game.. Very nice.  BJs will suffer as the back bar has good food as well as being much brighter.

• Like 1

Neisha and Rango's will likely take more of a hit than BJ's, simply because BJ's has plentiful covered parking and direct access *from* said parking, which is a rarity for a restaurant in Tyson's Corner that isn't inside a mall.  I keep meaning to try both of them, especially Rango's seeing as Tequila Grande is on borrowed time in Vienna, and I never get around to it.

It's funny, though - whenever I mention *any* GAR restaurant to someone in this area I get either a passively complimentary ambivalence or a straight out "it's a GAR chain restaurant, **** that place."  Almost never any in-between, and I've even seen more than one person be completely oblivious to the fact that a restaurant *is* part of the chain, and turn into a frothing speaking-in-tongues lunatic once they figure out it is.

A moderate handful of people surveyed, most popular answer on the board is..."the menus are way too similar between restaurants." 🙄

If I had to levy a single critique of Patsy's, it's the lack of chicken tenders on the menu, and also the fact that Silverado is by far the best value of all of them because they give you free chips and salsa, and it's *good* chips and salsa.  Too bad it's in a wholly unattractive strip mall in the middle of a really confusing cluster of roads in Annandale.

---

Great American Restaurants, Inc. (weezy)

Another solid meal at Patsy's last night.  My son thought his Rib Eye, my wife and I had entrée salads and they were both excellent.  Crowds have died off so that a 6:30 dinner reservation was honored promptly.

The space is nice, real nice.  The booths are very comfortable, noise level moderate and you quickly forget that you are in Tysons, hell hole of Nova.  Service is superb, 5 stars. GAR knows how to run restaurants and train their staff, it show.

Food is solid.  This is not fancy but a place I can go to every week and feel good about it and its price point.

The back bar looks real nice.  I'll be sure to check it out once hockey season starts again.

• Like 2