Sign in to follow this  
Ericandblueboy

Returning Fruits

A couple of weeks ago I bought organic cherries at Mom’s for $9.99/lb (end up paying almost $20).  The kids tried them at home and said they’re too sour.  I suppose I could have brought them back for a return.  Today (and many previous days) I bought a bad avocado from Safeway (a layer of bruise in the middle, I think the cost is $3 per unless it's on sale).  I only found out after I cut it open.  Do I bring the cut open avocado back to the store for a refund?

I don't know about returning it - I might, especially what they cost right now.  I have returned veg without any trouble. It seemed worth it.

But that is exactly why I no longer even try to buy avocado at regular grocery stores. I am glad that I live close to a number of Central American grocery stores. They tend to have better avocados. They seem to be stored better.

The first cherries of the season hit my farm market this weekend. They are quite good.

I'm not sure I'd return fruits if they were suboptimal, say sour cherries (of which I have a bag at home right now), but for bad fruits, like unexpected rot/mold/bruises I'd probably try, if I could remember them on my next trip to the store. At Costco I definitely would, both because of the large portions and their easy return policy (I've returned soured cream before). I don't know if you have to bring the bad fruit back, or just a receipt.  Worth an ask! At Costco, they just asked for the clean, empty carton and receipt as proof of purchase for the cream "return."

I would think that if you selected the fruit in the store you should not return it.  But if you use a service like Peapod or Amazon/Whole Foods where they select for you then you have every right to return.

• Like 1

The thing with avocados is that even ones that don't seem terribly soft may be very old or damaged on the inside. Once one is cut open, the flesh begins to oxidize and darken, so it would be very hard to get one back to the store with the obvious defect being the only visual issue.

I have taken produce back to the store (as well as seafood), but I usually call and get the name of someone who has heard my complaint before I do it. They will usually say to bring it to customer service next time you come in. It's enough of a pain to do this that people who are trying to pull a scam are probably mostly driven away. And that way you have a name as well if someone gives you a problem. For avocados, I just figure it's the luck of the draw. When I had bad mussels, that was a different story.