Scored a reservation for four this Friday, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. A friend of mine ate there two or three times before the place became well-known, and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a bit of a drive, even from Ashburn, but I know it will be great.

Haven't read anything here--has anyone been?

A wonderful experience which I'd highly recommend to others on this board. My personal observations and pictures will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, I recommend you sign up for a waiting list reservation and/or reserve a spot when you have the opportunity. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, reedm said:

A wonderful experience which I'd highly recommend to others on this board. My personal observations and pictures will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, I recommend you sign up for a waiting list reservation and/or reserve a spot when you have the opportunity. 

I wonder if they have changed the waiting list reservation policy. We have been on the waiting list for several dates and have had emails letting us know a time had opened up, but alas have never been successful in getting through early enough to snag the table. Anyway, glad you had a great experience and we will keep trying!

Apparently I am not alone in my plight!

On 6/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, Keithstg said:

I wonder if they have changed the waiting list reservation policy. We have been on the waiting list for several dates and have had emails letting us know a time had opened up, but alas have never been successful in getting through early enough to snag the table. Anyway, glad you had a great experience and we will keep trying!

Apparently I am not alone in my plight!

I believe the reservation system is essentially the same. My reservation was obtained by complete luck--I was checking my email and the waitlist email appeared.

They did change the time of day the reservations open--staying up until midnight to snag a spot was not too popular. 🙂

This is the most difficult reservation in America and worth the effort.  We have been twice since they opened (including two weeks ago) and have two more upcoming reservations-one night next month and one in January of next year.

This is my favorite restaurant in the U.S. in part because of the extraordinary ambience, incredible presentation of John and Diane and having now sampled 15+ dishes the honest belief that the overall experience rivals The Inn which is only five miles away.  But we prefer Three Blacksmiths.

On the website you will see instructions for how to make your on line reservation.  Generally they open up 205 days in advance and after you log in at exactly 10:00 AM you will have two, perhaps three minutes to reserve.  At 10:02 or 10:03 the 16 seats will be gone.

Sixteen seats three nights a week.  Occasionally they may add an additional two or four seats but the reservations assume 16.

Again, it is worth the effort and extraordinary wait.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I must add an addendum:  look closely at the photograph of the open kitchen above in reedm’s expressive post.  Enlarge it.  All of the woodwork was done by hand by the owners.  From the ten inch beams to the carving-this is a hand built two hundred year old exquisitely restored Inn in the Alps.  Note the soft lighting and candles throughout the photos. Character, romance and quiet comfort.    I know of no other restaurant in America like this.  It is an extraordinary escape for this side of the Atlantic.  

And worth the journey on the other side.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, Joe H said:

This is the most difficult reservation in America and worth the effort.  We have been twice since they opened (including two weeks ago) and have two more upcoming reservations-one night next month and one in January of next year.

This is my favorite restaurant in the U.S. in part because of the extraordinary ambience, incredible presentation of John and Diane and having now sampled 15+ dishes the honest belief that the overall experience rivals The Inn which is only five miles away.  But we prefer Three Blacksmiths.

On the website you will see instructions for how to make your on line reservation.  Generally they open up 205 days in advance and after you log in at exactly 10:00 AM you will have two, perhaps three minutes to reserve.  At 10:02 or 10:03 the 16 seats will be gone.

Sixteen seats three nights a week.  Occasionally they may add an additional two or four seats but the reservations assume 16.

Again, it is worth the effort and extraordinary wait.

Welcome back Joe! Great to read your recommendation and review!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Late to posting this, but attached/ below is a menu from our dinner on 12/5. Really enjoyed the space and atmosphere. Food was excellent as well, though the wine pairings/ list could use some work though the Sipp Mack Riesling was a winner (we did the "premium pairing", noted with diamonds). Headed back on Thursday - reservation times seem to have opened up a bit.

Stayed at Hopkins Ordinary which is about 300 yards from the restaurant. I'm decidedly not a B&B person, but enjoyed our stay. There's a brewery located at the Inn, and a minimum of doilies/ chintz. One could make a really nice weekend out of a combo three blacksmiths/ IALW trip.

IMG_0038.jpg

• Like 3

We finally managed a return visit, this time with four of our friends, and we had a fantastic evening. The food and drink were amazing, and despite the COVID protocols in place, the hospitality was wonderful again as well.

While all of the food was wonderful, we agreed the Bison tenderloin was a standout dish. Fork tender, with a delicious smokiness. We opted for the reserve wines, which were also wonderful. I'll leave it to the wine experts here to judge the selection, but I found the dessert wine pairing to be especially nice.

This time, we spent the night at Hopkins Ordinary, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The proprietors were as nice as could be. (What's in the water in Sperryville?)

I too believe Three Blacksmiths is one of the very best restaurants in the area.

IMG_0836.jpg.303346e3db4d20ad2ed5e53ab7bd54ff.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MsDiPesto said:

I wish great success to the new owners and hope diners are able to continue to enjoy the high bar set by the McPhersons. 

That said, the last thing in the world I wanted when I was in HS was to have my 'rents around all the time. Just sayin'. 

I was just in sperryville, there is NOTHING to do... teens or otherwise :) All the restaurants I guess other than three blacksmiths, closed at 8 on saturday!

• Like 2

This quote on Bibiana from Rapphannock News seems unnecessary.  😂

After six years in Hong Kong, the Addeos moved to Washington, D.C. where Mr. Addeo headed up the kitchens of the since-shittered Osteria Bibiana Enoteca,

• Haha 5