Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Scored a reservation for four this Friday, and I'm certainly looking forward to it. A friend of mine ate there two or three times before the place became well-known, and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a bit of a drive, even from Ashburn, but I know it will be great.

Haven't read anything here--has anyone been?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A wonderful experience which I'd highly recommend to others on this board. My personal observations and pictures will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, I recommend you sign up for a waiting list reservation and/or reserve a spot when you have the opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, reedm said:

A wonderful experience which I'd highly recommend to others on this board. My personal observations and pictures will be forthcoming. In the meanwhile, I recommend you sign up for a waiting list reservation and/or reserve a spot when you have the opportunity. 

I wonder if they have changed the waiting list reservation policy. We have been on the waiting list for several dates and have had emails letting us know a time had opened up, but alas have never been successful in getting through early enough to snag the table. Anyway, glad you had a great experience and we will keep trying!

Apparently I am not alone in my plight!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, Keithstg said:

I wonder if they have changed the waiting list reservation policy. We have been on the waiting list for several dates and have had emails letting us know a time had opened up, but alas have never been successful in getting through early enough to snag the table. Anyway, glad you had a great experience and we will keep trying!

Apparently I am not alone in my plight!

I believe the reservation system is essentially the same. My reservation was obtained by complete luck--I was checking my email and the waitlist email appeared.

They did change the time of day the reservations open--staying up until midnight to snag a spot was not too popular. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the most difficult reservation in America and worth the effort.  We have been twice since they opened (including two weeks ago) and have two more upcoming reservations-one night next month and one in January of next year.

This is my favorite restaurant in the U.S. in part because of the extraordinary ambience, incredible presentation of John and Diane and having now sampled 15+ dishes the honest belief that the overall experience rivals The Inn which is only five miles away.  But we prefer Three Blacksmiths.

On the website you will see instructions for how to make your on line reservation.  Generally they open up 205 days in advance and after you log in at exactly 10:00 AM you will have two, perhaps three minutes to reserve.  At 10:02 or 10:03 the 16 seats will be gone.

Sixteen seats three nights a week.  Occasionally they may add an additional two or four seats but the reservations assume 16.

Again, it is worth the effort and extraordinary wait.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must add an addendum:  look closely at the photograph of the open kitchen above in reedm’s expressive post.  Enlarge it.  All of the woodwork was done by hand by the owners.  From the ten inch beams to the carving-this is a hand built two hundred year old exquisitely restored Inn in the Alps.  Note the soft lighting and candles throughout the photos. Character, romance and quiet comfort.    I know of no other restaurant in America like this.  It is an extraordinary escape for this side of the Atlantic.  

And worth the journey on the other side.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, Joe H said:

This is the most difficult reservation in America and worth the effort.  We have been twice since they opened (including two weeks ago) and have two more upcoming reservations-one night next month and one in January of next year.

This is my favorite restaurant in the U.S. in part because of the extraordinary ambience, incredible presentation of John and Diane and having now sampled 15+ dishes the honest belief that the overall experience rivals The Inn which is only five miles away.  But we prefer Three Blacksmiths.

On the website you will see instructions for how to make your on line reservation.  Generally they open up 205 days in advance and after you log in at exactly 10:00 AM you will have two, perhaps three minutes to reserve.  At 10:02 or 10:03 the 16 seats will be gone.

Sixteen seats three nights a week.  Occasionally they may add an additional two or four seats but the reservations assume 16.

Again, it is worth the effort and extraordinary wait.

Welcome back Joe! Great to read your recommendation and review!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to posting this, but attached/ below is a menu from our dinner on 12/5. Really enjoyed the space and atmosphere. Food was excellent as well, though the wine pairings/ list could use some work though the Sipp Mack Riesling was a winner (we did the "premium pairing", noted with diamonds). Headed back on Thursday - reservation times seem to have opened up a bit.

Stayed at Hopkins Ordinary which is about 300 yards from the restaurant. I'm decidedly not a B&B person, but enjoyed our stay. There's a brewery located at the Inn, and a minimum of doilies/ chintz. One could make a really nice weekend out of a combo three blacksmiths/ IALW trip.

IMG_0038.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We finally managed a return visit, this time with four of our friends, and we had a fantastic evening. The food and drink were amazing, and despite the COVID protocols in place, the hospitality was wonderful again as well.

While all of the food was wonderful, we agreed the Bison tenderloin was a standout dish. Fork tender, with a delicious smokiness. We opted for the reserve wines, which were also wonderful. I'll leave it to the wine experts here to judge the selection, but I found the dessert wine pairing to be especially nice.

This time, we spent the night at Hopkins Ordinary, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The proprietors were as nice as could be. (What's in the water in Sperryville?)

I too believe Three Blacksmiths is one of the very best restaurants in the area.

IMG_0836.jpg.303346e3db4d20ad2ed5e53ab7bd54ff.jpg 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...