2019 DR Picnic?

pjnewman

Is anyone interested in attending a DR picnic this summer? I checked the Carderock website and it appears that there are still a few weekend days available. Post any interest and I would be happy to reserve (and pay for) the site.

Paul

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pjnewman said:

Is anyone interested in attending a DR picnic this summer? I checked the Carderock website and it appears that there are still a few weekend days available. Post any interest and I would be happy to reserve (and pay for) the site.

Paul

Thank you for taking the lead on this, @pjnewman, and grateful for your generosity. I am interested, and am happy to offer a lift to anyone on my side of beltway.  As many of your know, I no longer reside in the DMV ,  but have so much  love for the area and it's inhabitants. I missed the one last near, but if the date of this one works out for me, I will certainly make it. 

Just looking at the Carderock website this morning, (last year’s picnic location) available dates are July 20, 21, August 4, 31, September 1. With the understanding that any of these dates could be taken at any time. Is there any interest? 

Agreed.  And of the available dates listed above, unfortunately only the last two (Aug 31st and Sept 1) would work for me.  Maybe we could get more people if we make it a fall picnic?  I think they've been spring/fall gatherings in the past.  I appreciate @pjnewman's initiative for starting a summer picnic though and will be there if I can!

Looking further forward, the rest of September is booked and the first October date is the 13th, followed by the 20th, and the 26th and 27th. Obviously, I started on this endeavor a little later than I should have. Let me know if there is any interest in later dates.

Don

I will check the schedule at Carderock later today and outline currently available dates. When I find out what is now available could you create a survey to see which dates work the best for everyone? This would allow the group to create a consensus on a date but also allow us to judge the general interest within the group to having a picnic at all. 

If a only limited of people are interested, it might better to have a get together at someone’s house or someone’s community club house instead . Let me know if you could help.

---

[Yes, of course I'll do whatever people want. DR]

• Like 1

I checked this morning and the available dates are: Sunday 8/4, Saturday 8/31, Sunday 9/1, Sunday 10/20, Saturday 10/26 and Sunday 10/27. 10/13 has now been reserved. Let me know if there is still any interest given the current availability. They are accepting reservations for next year through the middle of July at this point. That might be an option. Also, I could reserve my community center (although in Gaithersburg it is probably too far north for many would be participants).

8/4 is too soon.

I agree with avoiding Labor Day weekend.

10/20 is fine with me, but I think any later than that and we risk non-picnic weather. I think we should either coalesce around that date, or book now for something in the Spring.

Based on what I perceive as lukewarm interest, would propose that we plan for a spring event instead. It will give people more time to plan and we can make sure that we have more flexibility in choosing a date. Sorry that I thought about this too late in the game to really make it work.

• Like 1