Cava Mezze, The Original, Sit-Down Version Of Cava In Three Area Locations

So after a weekend full of events and volunteer work, and Hubby working overtime at work we were in no mood to cook on Saturday.  We were also exhausted and in no mood to do anything but sit at a table and be waited on.  We headed to Cava, 1. because I like to support places that donate to my non-profits events and 2. I was in the mood for something different, but Hubby didn't want too different 3. it had been a little while since we had been to Mezze and not Grill.

Our server was so professional, nice and courteous, after such a long couple days he was really great.  Greeted us warmly, refilled things we needed, so polite.  It was really professional service.  I love Cava's harissa.  I don't know why I don't buy it at Whole Foods more often because I am really addicted to it, I also will admit I like that Hubby doesn't like olives so I can monopolize all the olives in their little tray of dips they bring you.  We ordered cucumbers for dipping, hummus, cava fries, gyro sliders, grilled asparagus sans feta and their braised lamb orzo dish.  We didn't really intend to share everything, but we ended up doing so, stuff Hubby ordered looked good to me, vice versa.  It was such a nice meal.  Can I just say how nice it is to have the dipping cucumbers right on the menu and it not be a secret hush hush thing you have to ask restaurants to do?  Plus in this day and age being able to sub a healthy veg instead of bread is so great!  Cucumbers and hummus and harissa... mmm.

I also really love their grilled asparagus without the feta, I just like the simple, but great taste this has with the grilling and good olive oil.  The lamb was good, I should have again asked for sans cheese, as I don't think it really added anything, but I liked the braised lamb.  I think the gyro would taste better as one big gyro, but then it wouldn't be shareable.  I think it would be better minus the fries on the inside, but I liked the meat.  The fries were good and another great thing to dip in the hummus and harissa.  They were the wedge cut fries, but fried really well and came out piping hot, which was great.  We really liked them.  Will try not to make it so long for the next visit.

I went yesterday for lunch in Rockville.  The menu has shrunk in size since the last time I was there.  They have take the Bolognese Pasta off the menu which was my wife's favorite.  She used to order two.  One for there and one to take home.  I am sure next time we go she will tack down the manager and try to convince him to have it come back.

Tried brunch at Cava this past weekend.  Had fruit salad which was nice and refreshing.  I had the french toast with honey and no cream- this was a really good version of french toast and not a huge portion, but not a small portion.  For someone who rarely eats breakfast or breakfast sweets, I really enjoyed this one.  I also had the hash.  Again like my last brunch I would like potatoes in my hash a little more on the crispy side, but otherwise the flavors were spot on with mushrooms, tomato, beef and lamb.  Hubby had the gyros which he always forgets to order without fries in them.  He also got a side of fries forgetting about the fries in the sandwich, but oh well, leftovers for me.

Friends flew in from Frankfurt who are DOS and I don't see them a lot when they are on assignment.  We went to Cava for brunch Saturday for a few little celebrations.  We got the bottomless brunch, not my idea, but the whole table has to do it (WHY?????? I would have much rather ordered a la carte and you probably would have made more money on me).  I have to say while there are things I love on their brunch menu, I wasn't as crazy about the bottomless menu.  It was pretty egg, potato heavy from what it seemed 12 out of 19 dishes have an egg.  There were no vegetable heavy dishes (I know it's breakfast, BUT...).  I realize this is a lot of food and drinks for a little money, but there also wasn't a choice of any sort of bread, except pita in the grilled cheese, or something sweet like a waffle or french toast. The eggs also left a lot to be desired, some were overcooked, some were actually undercooked to a point I thought a little questionable.  The deviled egg filing was way too dense.  We all had a great time and none of this got in the way of that, but....

I know the owners read this and I really like the normal menu, so some ideas: Veggie breakfast burrito, sauteed greens (especially with the chicken sausage this would rock), mini bread basket (would be awesome so you could have a small bagel with the salmon or etc.), option of some dips (some of your harissa would be great with eggs), fresh fruit bowl, etc.  Just some non-protein or sugary dishes would be good.

• Like 6

I love the Traville location for weekday lunch. I have conferences at the USG campus a few times a year, and a 5 minute walk to Cava is always a pleasure.

Menu here. You can get a pita sandwich (falafel, meatball, souvlaki or gyro) with fries for $9, or get the 3-small-plate special for $15, and if you can finish all 3 you must have skipped dinner the night before.

Even the limited menu is pretty great across the board, the service is always spot-on, and they can have you in and out quickly if you have limited time for lunch. There are at least ten places within a block or two that colleagues go to, but I always go straight for Cava.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraB said:

The good news: just a 2-minute drive west on Shady Grove will deliver you to the original Cava Mezze.  We were regulars there.  Don't know how it has fared since they've undertaken their major expansion into numerous Cava Grills and a couple of other Mezze locations.  

The original Cava is still excellent, and still draws crowds.

A pretty disappointing evening at Cava on the Hill.  A lot of lackluster flavors and uneven cooking. 

That said we did have a couple of very good dishes:

Crispy Brussels Sprouts were worth ordering again.  The grill Octopus with a caper mint relish might have been the dish of the night for me.  And the braised short ribs piled on top of a plate of fries was also good.  

On the other hand, the zucchini fritters were mostly mush and the tzatziki bland, the falafel were not particularly crispy, the calamari while tender was a rather sad looking plate of squid, not sure what was going on with the mushroom risotto other than a gloopy mess.  Neither the hummus nor the eggplant dip were all that interesting.

Maybe they get a pass on the account that it was a slow Columbus Day Monday? 

On 10/9/2018 at 1:29 PM, Tweaked said:

Maybe they get a pass on the account that it was a slow Columbus Day Monday? 

Nope. Not after the massive expansion - consistency is expected and demanded. Not greatness, but consistency ("greatness" is a word that will never be applied to this chain again).

Cava is fair game for culinary criticism, as it's hardly a "mom-n-pop" at this point, any more than Five Guys is.

We went this summer to the Montgomery County location- as it was close to people we were meeting who were traveling with kiddo.  I think they have a nice selection of vegetarian items and items for picky eaters, I do think lunch is their strongest meal.  And that location in the little shopping center just lacks any charisma that the Arlington location has inside, but on the plus there are outdoor areas to walk and play for a bit for the kiddo.  Again with picky eaters of different types, they do a nice job on their dinner menu of being accommodating and having a nice selection, and being pretty kid friendly, we ended up having a nice dinner, and stuff came pretty quick for the kiddo which was good.  And they had some really nice fresh cocktails in the summer.  But over the course of multiple visits throughout the years with friends, and Hubby for different meals, we have found it to be very different at different locations and meals, and lunch to me is by far the strongest.

The Cava money is in their CAVA fast casual concept, 133 locations plus what ever they are converting from their Zoes Kitchen take over.  The sit down restaurants feel like side projects these days.  And the Hill location had gone way down hill in recent years.   

• Like 1

Fascinating - they're doing pretty well with maintaining quality as they expand.  I've eaten at the ones in Dallas and (I think) San Francisco.  If they can keep up that level of quality and convert Zoes, which I've never been impressed by, they've got a chance to be more Chipotle than Subway.

A huge congratulations regardless - I first ate at Traville Gateway in maybe 2008.  The food was great and the hospitality was tremendous.  They've done well and are frequently a first lunch stop for my family when we're back in the US.

• Like 1