2019-2020 European Soccer Season: The Prem, La Liga, Champions League and All The Rest

Tweaked

I think this year we should have one thread covering the whole season, all leagues, all cup competitions.  

Premier League action kicks off today (Liverpool v. Norwich City 3pm).  La Liga next weekend.  Transfer windows are closing.  Champions League and Europa League qualification is underway.  The 2019/2020 season is here!

Some story lines (so far):

Will young Christian bloom at Chelsea? (First game at Manchester United on Sunday 11:30am, not a bad introduction)

Can Eden Hazard and Zidane bring glory back to the Bernabeu?  

Do Messi and Ronaldo have enough left in the tank for another Champions League run?

Can Man City win the Prem and win Champions League?

Will anyone in Germany challenge the Bayern-Dortmund duopoly?

Are there any serious challengers to Juventus is Serie A?

Ligue 1, does anyone care?

Post your thoughts below...

La Liga kicks off this afternoon with Barca playing against Bilbao.  Messi is out, so the front 3 will be Suarez, Griezeman and Dembele.  How will they mesh?

In the Premier League, the key match up is Man City v. Spurs.  Spurs finally spent some money on transfers and this game will indicate whether they closed the gap against the top 2.  

Madrid spent a boat load of money but have they adequately replaced Ronaldo?  We find out against Celta.

Everton spent a ton of money but they can't even beat Crystal Palace.  We'll see if the money is well spent against Watford this weekend.  

Also keeping my eyes on Chelsea v. Leicester (can Chelsea get into the top 6?), Atletico Madrid vs. Getafe (is Joao Felix really the next Ronaldo?), Liverpool vs. Southhampton (did Liverpool regress after not spending any money?), and Arsenal v. Burnley (are they Gunners gonna make top 4?)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DanielK said:

I cannot bring myself to root for Chelsea, but I hope that Pulisic has an outstanding season.

He looked good v Liverpool. Nice assist and a good goal that started a step offsides and was called back.

He did not look out of place at all. 

Man City, and De Bruyne specifically, looked awesome, except they didn't win.  Notwithstanding the result, I think Man City is a much better team than the Spurs and there's still a gap btwn those 2 teams (except Spurs somehow find a way to draw/win head to head).

Liverpool and Arsenal did win, so they're atop of the table.  Both are fun teams to watch.

Barca looked awful without Messi and Suarez.  Trade Dembele+ for Neymar?

33 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Man City, and De Bruyne specifically, looked awesome, except they didn't win.  Notwithstanding the result, I think Man City is a much better team than the Spurs and there's still a gap btwn those 2 teams (except Spurs somehow find a way to draw/win head to head).

But, to your point the other day, that gap is narrower than last season. MC was clearly more composed on the ball,  and had 10 shots on goal to Spurs 2. But possession was only 55-45, and passing was about the same gap. Spurs were without Dele and Son, and a point on the road against MC was more than anyone expected. Broke MCs 15 game EPL win streak.

Arsenal has no back line, Spurs has a contract problem with their most creative midfielder, Chelsea has a bunch of talented but inexperienced young players, and Man U can't take a penalty kick.  So it's looking like a two horse race again.  😅

After 2 weeks in La Liga, the jury still out on Atletico Madrid (they won both games but only 1-0), Real Madrid looks like they didn't improve much from last season, and Barca proves that Griezmann is a great signing.

When is the Champions League draw?
It takes place on Thursday, Aug. 29 in Monaco. The draw ceremony is expected to begin at noon ET / 6 p.m. CET. (4 p.m. GMT)

What are the draw pots?
POT 1: Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg

POT 2: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, Ajax, Benfica

POT 3: Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, FC Salzburg, Olympiakos, Club Brugge, Valencia, Inter Milan, Dinamo Zagreb

POT 4: Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Galatasaray, RB Leipzig, Slavia Prague, Red Star Belgrade, Atalanta, Lille

One team from each pot will be drawn into a group, making eight groups of four clubs.

from ESPN FC.

Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Club Brugge, Galatasaray.

Group B: Bayern Munich, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade.

Group C Manchester City, Shaktar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb, Atalanta.

Group 😧 Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Lokomotiv Moscow.

Group E: Liverpool, Napoli, Salzburg, Genk.

Group F: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Slavia Prague.

Group G: Zenit St. Petersburg, Benfica, Lyon, Leipzig.

Group H: Chelsea, Ajax, Valencia, Lille.

No group of death.  

Liverpool losing is pretty shocking to me.  Importantly, neither team seemed to have played much defense 🤔

Barca was lucky to come away with a draw - the 16 y.o. was getting bullied all over the pitch and was eventually replaced by Messi.  

I'm not sure Chelsea's loss to Valencia qualifies as a shock.

Atletico v. Juventus should be more exciting than PSG v. Real Madrid as the two latter teams are wracked by injuries and suspensions.

2 hours ago, DanielK said:

Reaction among the Spurs faithful has been disbelief. Mourinho just doesn't seem to be a fit with Levy's famously frugal attitude towards player contracts.

It works for Mourinho though.  He'll bitch and moan until the Spurs sack him, and then he can collect under his contract without working - just like he did with United.

• Sad 1

using the latest S&P 500 effort/talent/performance/result index, de bruyne and lewandowski are so far ahead of everyone else in europe that i won't even insult your intelligence by attempting to compute the margin

(although van dijk is most likely that very distant third)

Well, after a disjointed season...paused in the Spring due to coronavirus with most leagues finishing up with a rapid fire session of games...not much changed.

English Prem:  The Big Four of Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Chelsea took the top four spots, with Liverpool running away with things.

German Bundesliga: Bayern won the league by a comfortable 13 points over Dortmund.

Spanish La Liga:  Real Madrid topped Barcelona by five points and the rest of the league was an afterthought

Italian Serie A:  Juventus squeaked by with a one point cushion, and won its 9th title in a row. 

French Ligue 1:  The French shutdown the season on April 28, but PSG had already built a 12 point lead over the rest of the table, so no one really cared.

Yawn. 

The Champions League Quarter Final round kicks off in Lisbon on August 12 in a modified single game knock out round format (ie: World Cup style).

I am by no means claiming that it will be easy for either PSG or Bayern to get through to the final (tougher for Bayern at the end of the day), but should they do so, it is a shame that Mbape and Davies play on different sides of the field.

All I can say is CL bubble, single game, knock out for the win. Other than Barca, teams are playing like they care, good goals, stunning results.  Hoping for an entertaining semifinal round. 

Tuesday Aug 18 RB Leipzig v PSG 3pm 

Wednesday Aug 19 Lyon v Bayern 3pm

• Thanks 1

Munich won the CL 1-0 over PSG.  PSG had their chances but couldn't finish.  I was watching the game on Univision so I don't know why penalties weren’t called on PSG at the end of the first half or the Kimmich foul on Mbappe.  I just know that Neymar played a shitty game, whined like a little brat and I'm happy he hasn't won anything since he left Barca.

2 UCL titles in 8 years.  Can't say I am unhappy.  It's fascinating to watch how teams are now trying to improve in specific ways that would allow them to beat this side, just as Bayern did years ago to find a solution to an unstoppable Barca side.  But this is tricky: the all also need to worry about Liverpool, and that's whole new bag of tricks.