Dr.com Cooking Club - Tamales! Dec 8, 1:30-ish PM

ktmoomau

Okay, we'll make a go of it on the 8th, say arrive 1:30-2:00 ish and go from there.  I saw a good looking pork filling recipe, but wondering if we should do a chicken as well?  

1.  Me
  2. my sister
  3. Daniel
  4. Eric
  5. Steve
  6. Kate (late)

Anyone doing a +1 or more?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

Please put me down as a maybe for tamale making on 8 December. @weezy approximately where are you located?

I'm in Annandale inside the Beltway between Braddock & LRT exits.

58 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

What should we bring?

Still figuring that out.  Since the fillings have to be cooled, I think I'll need to make at least one of those the day before.  I can do a second in the Instant Pot that morning.  So off the top of my head,  that leaves the masa or masa harina, lard, corn husks, and then things for us to nibble on b/c it takes a couple of hours for the tamales to steam cook.

DIShGo asked me to post that she'll be there.

Make sure to remember that this is Lady Goodknife, and bring your knives to drop off and be sharpened. (I have an entire set of Wüsthof-Trident that need sharpening and honing - 20-years old, and never been touched - nothing great, but may as well do it.) Weezy, my credit is good, I hope? I'll have DIShGo bring a blank check, and you can fill in the amount (she's going to bring some of her knives also (CutCo)), so you'll have some work to do at your leisure - thanks for hosting this. Happy to support dr artisans!

thanks for the shout-out, Don.

FYI, I do not sharpen CutCo knives.  They have a D-shaped serration that makes it useless for standard hones to work on them.  However, the company does sharpen for free, just S&H to send them back & forth.  

I'm not sure, either!  My recipes are at home, so I can post them / links to them later today and let you know what I have / don't have yet, and we can go from there.

I guess, bring your preferred libation.  I'll have iced tea made.  And something for snacking because it will take a few hours before we've got tamales ready to eat.

https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-tamales-pork-15286  This is the pork tamale recipe I plan to use, and I have everything for this except the masa harina, lard and corn husks.  I don't have the red sauce chilis that are in the linked recipe inside the link I posted, but I have the rest of the ingredients.   So it looks like a one-stop shop to pick up all the ingredients.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/green-chile-chicken-tamales-108055  This is the green chile chicken tamale recipe, easy enough with the rotisserie chicken.

12 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Let me know how much masa, lard, and corn husk to get and I'll pick those up on Sunday.

looks like 1 pound of lard total, 10 cups of masa (4.5 pounds) and 100 - 120 corn husks (according to Google, there are 80-100 husks in an 8-ounce package, so 12 ounces of husks).

Thanks so much for doing this!

12 minutes ago, DanielK said:

Those recipes seem to imply that buying the husks the morning of will not result in tamales the same day - that a minimum of 3 hours, and preferably a day, is needed for soaking.

One recipe says 20 minutes, the other says 3 hrs to a day.  Googling says 30 minutes, 1 hr., etc.  

I think some start with pouring boiling water on them and some start with room temp water.  I say we go with the boiling water, and once they're sufficiently soft, we can move them to cold water for safe handling.

The photos are in reverse order.  I think it was a pretty successful attempt by a bunch of newcomers to the process.  We tried two different types of masa, one with less lard and spiced with cumin, chili powder and onion powder, one with a lot more lard (2 cups compared to 3/4 cup for the first dough) and unspiced.   The spiced masa was tastier, but the texture of the lardier one was very nice.  In future, I'd probably split the different on the amount of lard and definitely add the spices.  The fillings were pork with a mild red chili sauce that was tasty but a bit bland, and the other was supposed to be a chicken verde that I had a total brain fart on and ended up winging the sauce with a can of fire-roasted Rotel, a juiced lime, chicken stock, about 3/4 cup of chopped cilantro.  Had the gang taste test and we all felt it was rather meh, so tarted the whole thing up with another juiced lime, a big pinch of salt and about 2 tablespoons of siracha.  The chicken filling was definitely the winner of the two once the tamales were cooked.  the Instant Pots did a great job, 20 minutes after they got up to pressure, and we ended up with maybe 85-100 or so tamales.  2 and 1/2 InstantPot-fulls.  So, no single "perfect" tamale, but certainly the knowledge to make some really great chicken ones in the future.  

Many thanks to the participants.  A lot of fun, a lot of learning, a lot of good food and camaraderie.   Oh, and Eric's bringing the tablet was invaluable in this process, special shout-out for that (what model / size is that, btw?, I think I'm in love with it).

Serving pork tamales.jpg

anticipation.jpg

double the fun.jpg

getting ready to steam.jpg

Masa 2 aka SuperLard.jpg

red chili pork tamales.jpg

initial tamales.jpg

Masa 1 continues.jpg

pre-mixing Masa 1.jpg

Masa 1.jpg

• Like 7

You're welcome, and thanks for bringing the supplies and the tablet! 

BTW, anyone need masa harina?  I've got lots and lots of leftovers, more than I'll use in any reasonable amount of time ( the Milk Bar corn cookies use some in that recipe).

On 12/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, weezy said:

You're welcome, and thanks for bringing the supplies and the tablet! 

BTW, anyone need masa harina?  I've got lots and lots of leftovers, more than I'll use in any reasonable amount of time ( the Milk Bar corn cookies use some in that recipe).

I thought about it after we got into the car and headed out. If you were closer, I'd say yes, but it's not expensive stuff.

I think the process of making tamales is pretty easy but with lots of recipes out there, it's not clear to me how best to perfect the flavor without lots of trial and error.  As discussed, the amount of lard called for varies significantly, whether to season the masa also differs, whether to use broth or water to mix the masa, what filling and how to season the filling.  I would probably err on the side of over-seasoning (use broth, season the masa, use as much lard as your arteries can handle).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanielK said:

Grabbed a pic of my last 2 leftover tamales last night.

On the left, the pork, in the masa with spices. On the right, the chicken with the plain masa.

Yes, this is what I had, and loved - both of them. They were utterly different one from the other, each being great on its own terms. And I completely agree with weezy that I'd ultimately go halfway on the lard, and add the spices (if I had to choose just one); I could coin-flip the fillings.

• Like 2