Sign in to follow this  
ktmoomau

Dr.com Cooking Club

@ktmoomau I don't know how to make bao buns or saltenas but would also be interested in learning how to make them. I'm sure I have a few cooking skills that I could share. I'm interested in learning how to make choux paste, grougers, eclairs, etc.. and would like to have enough people around to enjoy them (don't want to end up knee deep in choux paste experiments).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curls said:

@ktmoomau I don't know how to make about buns or saltenas but would also be interested in learning how to make them. I'm sure I have a few cooking skills that I could share. I'm interested in learning how to make choux paste, grougers, eclairs, etc.. and would like to have enough people around to enjoy them (don't want to end up knee deep in choux paste experiments).

I have never made those (although I have a friend who has made eclairs, maybe I can get her to come help), but would be willing to take a stab at it too!  

• Like 1

I'd be interested in this as well. 

And I actually HAVE made bao buns a couple time...…...lots of fun and very good!!  ;-)

• Like 1

I held a paella class for about 20 neighbors this winter.  Lots of interest beforehand little during cooking.  Folks didn't want to come early to make sofrito.  Much more interest when food was finished and corks were popped.

• Haha 2

I'd have interest in trying out something like this.  I have a large kitchen as well, but I don't know that I have any specialties as far as foods or techniques to share.  But if someone would like to host something but doesn't have room, maybe we can work it out that that person can host at my place.

• Like 1

I too would be interested in this. My kitchen is not very large but I would love to host small groups. I can probably answer lots of questions about South Asian food -- will not brag about cooking prowess. But, if you want to learn how to make Indian food in an Instant Pot... 

• Like 1

This all sounds great!  Bao Buns first one and then we can move down the line with people taking picks what they want to make?  I will post some dates I could host tomorrow, I have to head out for a meeting in a few.  (We can have some frosty beverages, snacks while we work)

• Like 3

This sounds interesting! Please let me know the dates, if possible would like to attend. 

Ok, dates I could host BAO BUNS:

September 14, September 15, October 5, October 19, October 20.

I think it would make sense to start early afternoon to get them done.  I live in Potomac Yard in Alexandria.  If you would like to join, please respond back with all the dates you can make, I will pick the date the most people can attend.

Great, let's do the 19th of October!  

So far we have: 

DanielK +1

Curls

Smita Nordwall

lion

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Awesome! Katelin, please let us know what we can bring... bao fillings? Appetizers? Libations? Dessert? 

Great! What time frame are we aiming for and what can I bring?

How about 1:00 pm, that way we have time to let dough rise?  And can have them for dinner?

If you all wanted to choose to make a filling, bring a snack, libation or dessert that would be more than welcome!  I have a pretty stocked wine fridge, but am always running out of white wine (I don't know how that happens)!

Also, we will have some time between rises, if you want to bring filling ingredients we can finish in the kitchen while we are waiting, as well.

I have tickets to a show that evening, think we’ll be done before 7? Other than that, sounds like a good plan.

Do you already have a recipe that you like or have multiple recipes you would like to test?

• Like 1

Went searching and found a few recipes and varities of bao (steamed, baked, steam fried, soup dumpling, savory, sweet, etc.). I'll include the links below. Which kind of bao were you interested in making @ktmoomau? I'm looking forward to this.  🙂

On 9/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, ktmoomau said:

So far we have: 

DanielK +1

Curls

Smita Nordwall

lion

Well, shoot.  I won't be able to make that one.  Next time!