PLNT Burger, Spike Mendelsohn's Vegan Burger Kiosk at Whole Foods Silver Spring

PLNT Burger, a vegan fast-casual restaurant led by local celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn, will hold the grand opening of its first location today, company officials announced. The outlet is inside the Whole Foods at 833 Wayne Ave. in downtown Silver Spring and features Beyond Burgers:

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/business/plnt-burger-grand-opening-set-tomorrow/

6 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I never really got the concept of a vegan burger.

If I were a vegan, there are many things other than a burger that I would opt for. If I were a burger eater, the last thing on the planet I would want is a vegan burger.

I think the target audience is people who used to eat meat and miss the taste. Can't see who else would want one!

My take:

Beyond looks and tastes like packaged frozen burgers that one might buy at Costco for a backyard party and didn't want to make burgers from scratch.  Beyond is the Bubba Burger of the alt-burger world.

Impossible is more legit burger-y.  If you went to a diner or local bar/grill type place and they slipped in an Impossible burger, I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference.  However, as noamb said, you aren't going to mistake it for a trendy upscale burger.  The Impossible doesn't have that meaty juicy-ness of a really well made meat burger.  But honestly, the Impossible is an impressively engineered product. 

My SIL is vegan so my brother will have Impossible if he wants a burger fix at home.  The Impossible is too meat-like for her.  

I prefer the Amy's Sonoma Veggie Burger.     

10 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I never really got the concept of a vegan burger.

If I were a vegan, there are many things other than a burger that I would opt for. If I were a burger eater, the last thing on the planet I would want is a vegan burger.

10 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

I think the target audience is people who used to eat meat and miss the taste. Can't see who else would want one!

Do me a favor: Go to Happy Gyro and order a Double Freak-a-Burger ($13 for two). This year, I've probably ordered them ... twenty times? I have an order sitting in the refrigerator right now, waiting to be reheated (*) for lunch tomorrow - I'll be fighting DIShGo for them.

You could eat four of these burgers, and be absolutely stuffed, but (and this is the kicker) you wouldn't feel that carburetor in your stomach when you finish. You know how you can stuff yourself silly with sushi and not hate yourself afterwards (except financially)? Same concept.

(*) The best way to reheat these is to leave them out overnight, and then microwave them with the lid on for about 20-30 seconds, depending on how hot you want them (I prefer mine warm, not piping hot).

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:34 AM, Keithstg said:

Engineered is a great word to describe a product brimming with GMO's and other modified soy-related products.

The Beyond Burger, while not as good as the Impossible Burger, is non-GMO certified and quite satisfying (at least to this pescatarian who misses meat).  (Although personally I've never understood a blanket objection to GMOs as though they are somehow inherently bad for you.  I'm sure the papaya farmers of Hawaii or consumers of golden rice don't object to their benefits.)  

• Like 3