Taiwan Cafe, Taiwanese food in Manassas

Wanted to make a post for Taiwan Cafe (Yelp) in Manassas as I went there for lunch today with my parents and didn't see one here on the site.

While they have an American Chinese menu, we wisely avoided that and stuck to the Taiwanese menu. And it was good! We had the Taiwanese fried chicken, the amusingly named "Flash Tomato w. Scrambled Eggs", and the cabbage with garlic. The chicken was a fine example of Taiwanese fried chicken with the weird breading, fried basil, and moist dark meat. The tomato and eggs were the quite good. Not sure what the sauce was, but yum! And the cabbage with garlic was, well, cabbage with garlic, but a good refreshing vegetable on the side.

They did have a specials board which we didn't look too closely at when going in, but I think we will next time. A couple of the dishes sounded good! (Though, to me, not the oyster omelette. I know it's classic, but *shudder*)

Don't expect any atmosphere or anything. Small storefront in a strip mall, but the neon signs in the windows--"EAT GOOD FOOD"--give a good indication of what you'll do inside. I haven't been to many restaurants in Manassas, but this is by far the best I've been to so far. I honestly can't wait to go back and explore more of the menu.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheMatt said:

Wanted to make a post for Taiwan Cafe (Yelp) in Manassas as I went there for lunch today with my parents and didn't see one here on the site.

While they have an American Chinese menu, we wisely avoided that and stuck to the Taiwanese menu. And it was good! We had the Taiwanese fried chicken, the amusingly named "Flash Tomato w. Scrambled Eggs", and the cabbage with garlic. The chicken was a fine example of Taiwanese fried chicken with the weird breading, fried basil, and moist dark meat. The tomato and eggs were the quite good. Not sure what the sauce was, but yum! And the cabbage with garlic was, well, cabbage with garlic, but a good refreshing vegetable on the side.

They did have a specials board which we didn't look too closely at when going in, but I think we will next time. A couple of the dishes sounded good! (Though, to me, not the oyster omelette. I know it's classic, but *shudder*)

Don't expect any atmosphere or anything. Small storefront in a strip mall, but the neon signs in the windows--"EAT GOOD FOOD"--give a good indication of what you'll do inside. I haven't been to many restaurants in Manassas, but this is by far the best I've been to so far. I honestly can't wait to go back and explore more of the menu.

https://www.northernvirginiamag.com/food/food-features/2017/04/11/best-asian-restaurants-no-14-taiwan-cafe/

• Like 1

Went back to Taiwan Cafe this afternoon with my parents. We once again got our two standbys: tomatoes and eggs, and cabbage with garlic. This visit, however, was prompted by my mom reading an article about their three-cup chicken. So we got that, and it was good! Maybe the best rendition I've had in the area. Though I have to say, it's a bit "exciting" when you bite into some ginger without expecting it. :)

• Like 1