We have made a few visits for Korean Fired Chicken in Annandale.  I will post a running commmentary of our visits but I htink it would be fun to complie a compenduim of places and experiences!

Pelicana is next door to The Block.  It is small with a bar on one half and tables along a banquette on the other. The music is loud without being obnoxiously so but the hubub from the guests can get quite loud.  The bartenders are earnest rather than really skilled.  

There are a lot of different was to have chicken. Wings come grilled or fried; the former with a choice of three sticky/messy sauces and the latter can be had original, extra crispy or soy.  I prefer the crispy while Kay incorrectly prefers the soy.  They fried comes with a sauce and all come with a tiny bowl of pickled daikon cubes.

We had the fried gizzards which is a huge plate of chopped gizzards fried perfectly but it is way too much gizzard for two.  Again, you get a cup of sauce.  

We have yet to try much of the appetizers and other dishes but they have a have variety on offer.  The onion rings look incredible while the fries look just ok.  

On the drink side, they have a variety of 22 oz beers from Japan & Korea but with noting unexpected.  They offer soju cocktails for $20 a decanter and we had the yogurt one and it seemed quite defective as there must have been a hole int he bottom of the decanter as it emptied was sooner than our drinking would indicate.  It was so good that I googled a recipe and it is trivially simple to make: one of those little 2 oz frozen yogurt drinks, 4 oz of soju {did you know soju comes in liter bottles at the VABC?} and 2 oz of sprite or club soda. Hard shakle over ice and strain.  

Highly recommended but you can OD on fried foods easily.

---

ChiMc Annandale (deangold)

• Like 1

Our current favorite is Choong Man chicken located behind Gom Ba Woo.  We generally do the spicy whole chicken which is cut in that peculiar Asian way (watch for bones in strange places) and served with copious amounts of napkins.  It's damn fine chicken.

For a bit more casual (if that's possible with KFC :) ), try Cheogajip on Evergreen Lane.  Tucked away in a office building and a bit hidden, the spicy popcorn chicken is one of our favorites as well.  (Note the "spicy" trend here).  I prefer my spicy a bit more spicy than Grover but the spicy here is a fair compromise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, deangold said:

Both are definitely on our bucket list.  We tried Pelicana when Choong Man was closed.  

We ate at Choong Man Sunday evening for Red Hot whole chicken.  Great radish, excellent chicken.  (I know this  sounds like a commercial for Choong Man, but it is really good).

On 10/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, Escoffier said:

We ate at Choong Man Sunday evening

Last night I wanted to watch the Dodger Game on the TV and I chose Pelicana because they stay open 'til midnight. I had the joy of sharing the space with a couple where the woman was a scream her head off Dodger/Ryu fan.  Made from sore ears but a hugely fun watch.  

On 10/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, pras said:

Best line of your review!

Hay, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  No matter how wrong {disagrees with mine} it is.  

---

Pelicana (yeah)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a visit to Choong Man Fairfax, here is my rating on wings:

Pelicana Crispy, sauce on the side

Chi Mc half and half

Choong Man {again, based on Fairfax location}

Bon Chin: maybe I hit it on an off day but not going back

Will try Cheogajip next. Or maybe another Pelicana then Cheogajip.

• Like 1

The ChiMc franchise (chain?) is now in Fort Belvoir, Vienna, and Chantilly. The Annandale location of "ChiMc Annandale" is no longer part of this company - for whatever reason, they parted ways, and are independently owned (this could be good or bad, but it will almost surely be different). Each will get its own thread.

ChiMc's website is here, and ChiMc Annandale's website is here.

(Note my cursor towards the top-right of this screen shot.)

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 12.24.05.png