Wegmans (1916-), a Rochester-Based Grocery Store with Several DC-Area Locations - In Business for over 100 Years

Escoffier

Rumor of the day--Wegmans going into White Flint where the Bloomingdales used to be.

That would force the Rockville Whole Foods to really step up their game.

Turns out the Wegmans rumors have been going on for some time among the shopping-center in-crowd. But it's all somewhat complex. Apparently Lerner is planning to "deconstruct" the existing WF mall and replace it with a mixed use (residential, office, open-air shopping) development; the project would be done in stages and take 25 years to complete. Wegmans has been part of the discussions about the new development. Macy's (Bloomingdales) and Hudson's Bay (L&T) actually own their own WF store properties but clearly would be participants in the new project, if only to sell. I'm not up to speed on MoCo zoning, but I speculate the existing permits for the mall and actual use in the area would help overcome the problem Wegmans has had in expanding in MoCo, by stepping into the shoes as it were of the existing permits, which would help explain their interest in the location. MoCo planning has been actively participating in the review process for the new development. More information may be forthcoming soon, or not.

I am becoming a little less enamored with the Fairfax Wegman's.  I still think Wegman's in general has a better selection and quality of many things, but the Fairfax store has made changes I really dislike.

1. The hot bar- they have greatly expanded the hot bar, which we used to like to on occasion eat at before shopping, but now it is much more general purpose, feed lot food, and less thought and care.  You used to be able to get some interesting Chinese and Indian options, many of these have been taken away for taco bars and the like.

2. The seafood sit down counter is now located in a much busier spot, the service isn't nearly as nice and if you order sushi there it comes in the plastic trays.  This used to be a fun experience- no more.

3. Now that the wine has been moved upstairs everything seems so crowded and you feel overwhelmed by people.  They need to move something downstairs.

4. They no longer have a nice loose leaf tea area, they still have the tea, but it's lacking the pleasing set up as before.

5. They are sometimes missing innocuos items- like brillo pads or napa cabbage.

Overall it just seems more like a rat race getting through it than it used to be, anyone else notice this?  I might have to check out the Dulles or Sterling Wegman's to see if it is a bit better.

• Like 2

I am becoming a little less enamored with the Fairfax Wegman's.  I still think Wegman's in general has a better selection and quality of many things, but the Fairfax store has made changes I really dislike.

Overall it just seems more like a rat race getting through it than it used to be, anyone else notice this?  I might have to check out the Dulles or Sterling Wegman's to see if it is a bit better.

I'm thinking if this chain was based in Rochester, MN instead of Rochester, NY, they'd have better access to Mayo.

You may feel free to drop dead now.

1. The hot bar- they have greatly expanded the hot bar, which we used to like to on occasion eat at before shopping, but now it is much more general purpose, feed lot food, and less thought and care.  You used to be able to get some interesting Chinese and Indian options, many of these have been taken away for taco bars and the like.

2. The seafood sit down counter is now located in a much busier spot, the service isn't nearly as nice and if you order sushi there it comes in the plastic trays.  This used to be a fun experience- no more.

3. Now that the wine has been moved upstairs everything seems so crowded and you feel overwhelmed by people.  They need to move something downstairs.

4. They no longer have a nice loose leaf tea area, they still have the tea, but it's lacking the pleasing set up as before.

I believe this is the single highest grossing grocery store in the U. S. whether part of a chain or individually owned.  It feels like it.

We live equidistant from Fairfax and Sterling and I rarely go to Fairfax.  it is far too congested whether in the parking garage which fronts it or the store itself which could use another 25,000 square feet of retail area.  it is cramped.

The wine shop is awful.  There is no character, no ambience.  Just a "vanilla" area that makes me long for Total.  Actually, I find it quite remarkable that they could destroy a "department" so efficiently.  I cannot believe they are selling anywhere near as much wine as they used to.  What was once an inviting shop is now a typical grocery store wine area.

Fairfax does carry a number of items which the other Wegman's do not.  There is a better cheese shop, several specialty soups in season, even the odd white truffle.

Still, the only time I go there is when it is raining heavily and I'll park in their garage.

I believe this is the single highest grossing grocery store in the U. S. whether part of a chain or individually owned.  It feels like it.

We live equidistant from Fairfax and Sterling and I rarely go to Fairfax.  it is far too congested whether in the parking garage which fronts it or the store itself which could use another 25,000 square feet of retail area.  it is cramped.

Seems like it's become so crowded that nobody goes there any more

:wacko:

• Like 1

Just want to give a shout out to the Fairfax Wegman's due to my success on my shopping trip there yesterday. Imagine my delight to stumble upon a pile of Thomas' Corn English Muffins.

Until now, I've only been able to buy them when visiting my hometown in NYS. No longer am I denied their corny goodness due to the circumstance of having to work in the wretched south.

I also found Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso, which I can only ever find at Wegman's

AMEN. I am this Wegman's worst nightmare, and I complain to them on Twitter, FB, in person all the time. To their credit, they are very responsive and I have even walked the store with the Front End Manager pointing out all of the things I find frustrating. As Joe H said, yes this is very busy store and changes they have made in the last 18 months have been horrible. The expansion of the hot and cold buffet area creates a huge bottleneck in an already crowded area.  Moving the seafood bar to the front and replacing it with a lobster station killed that whole concept. We regularly go to WF now, as their seafood bar is what Wegman's used to be, but bigger.

The endless endcaps, displays, and tasting stations that appear on the weekends further congest an already heavily trafficked area. But the wine section moving upstairs is the mother of all fucked up decisions. The last three aisles of traffic flow has been horribly altered, and people are constantly weaving back and forth down the center aisle, looking for items that used to be easily found before the shuffle. And 6 months later, the staff, many of whom I know on a first name basis, still have no idea where things have moved to. I don't need to download an app. I don't need to read the laminated cards at the ends of the aisle. Please stop moving shit around.

They have HUGE amounts of unused space both downstairs and upstairs, I have no idea what they were thinking. Put the pharmacy downstairs. Put the flower shop downstairs. Put the hot cold buffet upstairs. Or better yet, just put everything back the way it was two years ago. I was always willing to deal with the parking, because the shopping was such a pleasant experience. That experience is gone, and I find myself shopping at Whole Foods more and more.

• Like 2

But if they move things around, then customers have to walk around and look closely, which means they're likely to see things they'd previously ignored, and then they might buy those things.  At least, I've always assumed that's why grocery stores move stuff around.  Drives me nuts, too.

• Like 1

But if they move things around, then customers have to walk around and look closely, which means they're likely to see things they'd previously ignored, and then they might buy those things.  At least, I've always assumed that's why grocery stores move stuff around.  Drive me nuts, too.

It already takes me about 2 hours, how much more time do they want!  I would buy more things if I could find them in the first place.  Now I come home and do an order of things I couldn't find off Amazon.  I wrote them a big long email, no response.  I am sure my complaints are falling on deaf ears as the revenue streams in.

• Like 1

Even though I love what they have, I was there last week, and ended up spending a lot more time than I intended to, because I finally had to ask someone where the cotton balls were (answer: 7b with the baby stuff) and where they relocated other items. I got into the grocery aisles and thought "They've changed it around yet again!"

I also wish it was back to the original format.

And I bought more stuff than I intended, so I guess the strategy works.

"Alexandria" is a euphemism for Kingstowne.  I'd really call it Springfield, but that doesn't sound as impressive as Alexandria.  At any rate, I work in Springfield, so it will be convenient for me to pop in on my lunch break.  Fifteen minutes to get there, half an hour to shop, fifteen minutes back, done.

Will definitely be going there more often than the one west of Fairfax City.

• Like 1

"Alexandria" is a euphemism for Kingstowne.  I'd really call it Springfield, but that doesn't sound as impressive as Alexandria.  At any rate, I work in Springfield, so it will be convenient for me to pop in on my lunch break.  Fifteen minutes to get there, half an hour to shop, fifteen minutes back, done.

Will definitely be going there more often than the one west of Fairfax City.

Heck. That might even be Newington. But, yeah, I'm also waiting for it. I could go there, stop by House of Dynasty...

• Like 1

Wegman's is welcome, whether located within the City or far beyond Alexandria's borders, as it appears to be.

I'm surprised that there are not lawsuits brought against realtors/sellers for using "Alexandria" for locations far outside the City.  When I went to register our cars in Alexandria, the City actually had someone going down the line to confirm that everyone really resided in the City.  About 1/3 of the people in line did not, and some of them were quite indignant when they were told they did not actually live in Alexandria.  The Post Office is to blame for much of this, but claiming something south of 495 is in Alexandria is BS.

In addition to the historic cachet of "Alexandria," the City provides outstanding city services.  Fairfax County doesn't even come close, other than having superior public schools.

Of course, I'm in a similar situation now, living in Herndon's zip code but outside Herndon's limits.   I just tell people I live in Fairfax County, near Herndon.  

• Like 1

Wegman's is welcome, whether located within the City or far beyond Alexandria's borders, as it appears to be.

I'm surprised that there are not lawsuits brought against realtors/sellers for using "Alexandria" for locations far outside the City.  When I went to register our cars in Alexandria, the City actually had someone going down the line to confirm that everyone really resided in the City.  About 1/3 of the people in line did not, and some of them were quite indignant when they were told they did not actually live in Alexandria.  The Post Office is to blame for much of this, but claiming something south of 495 is in Alexandria is BS.

In addition to the historic cachet of "Alexandria," the City provides outstanding city services.  Fairfax County doesn't even come close, other than having superior public schools.

Of course, I'm in a similar situation now, living in Herndon's zip code but outside Herndon's limits.   I just tell people I live in Fairfax County, near Herndon.

I'm confused by your post, PollyP. There shouldn't be a lawsuit, as there is the City of Alexandria and then there is Alexandria that is part of Fairfax County, which is where the "Kingstowne" area is, but people often get confused (I did) when they first move to this area by that distinction.

Where are you then, if not Herndon?

Yeah but is Kingstowne a place?!?!  As in a mailing address?

I live in Alexandria, but not Old Town.  I'm way outside the beltway down near Mt. Vernon but my mailing address is Alexandria

Well, Kingstowne was designated as a "neighborhood" for, I guess, census-purposes once a lot of housing developed around the South Van Dorn St & Kingstowne Boulevard area of Alexandria (Fairfax County).

• Like 1

There is a distinction in Virginia between legal boundaries for the purposes of defining a city, and judicial jurisdictions, and postal code boundaries, but that isn't just unique to Virginia.  This happens in most states for whatever reason.  For instance Polly P probably doesn't live in the City of Herndon itself, but lives in Fairfax County with a Herndon zip code.  Virginia does make it trickier than other states by allowing even the smallest "Cities" to have their own judicial territory.  Having been to the courthouses in City of Falls Church, Herndon and Fairfax, I think that is a little silly myself, but no one ever said Virginia was a legally progressive state. I can normally tell if someone is "City" or "County" in Alexandria by their zip, I think there is only one that I have run across which encompasses both.  But it wasn't set up by Realtors, it was done by the postal service, although it probably benefits Realtors in some ways.  

• Like 1

It can create strange hassles.

As a lawyer who files bankruptcy cases, there is one zip code near Fredericksburg where I might need to file in Alexandria Federal Court, a 15 mile trip, or Richmond, a hundred mile trip, depending on how it breaks. Some lawyers pick the jurisdiction more convenient for them, but not yours truly.

When filing homestead deeds, it matters very much that you pick the right county/city. Pick wrong, and your exemptions are worthless.

So beyond showing off, it can matter. That said, I sometimes tell people I live in Burke. I live a block away from Burke, and "Fairfax" covers a lot of territory. All the way from Centreville to "Alexandria" to Lorton, almost.

Wegmans in Kingstowne, via the newly constructed Jeff Todd Way, is 10 minutes for me, so I am eagerly awaiting the opening. Despite living on the south end of Rt. 1, I can't complain about grocery choices- within a 5? Mile radius, I have the Ft. Belvoir commissary, Safeway, Bestway, Aldi, Costco, & now, Wegmans- I'm pretty spoiled for choices. Shout out for Alexandria 22309 (whatever you want to call it).

• Like 1

Was at the Columbia Legman's yesterday mid day. We thought, obviously incorrectly, that many people would go out for dinner, leaving the grocery stores not crazy busy.

WRONG.

What a zoo. And mostly because of all the extra schmalzy schlock they were selling gumming up the open avenues/lanes of travel. Flowers. Chocolates. You name it. But, basically every counter that had someone behind it to provide help was utterly jammed. I got seriously lucky at the meat counter (why they do not have a ticket system there like the deli counter is beyond me) and the guy that had come over to help the other two hopelessly overworked other guys asked who is next and looked at the big custer of people at the other end of the counter but then looked right at me, at the other end. I have to say I felt a bit guilty for telling him quickly what I wanted and got out of there, but so happy I got that off the checklist.

Very glad to load up on stuff for the long weekend (in the cold) of dinners. Stay warm everyone!

• Like 1

Was at the Columbia Legman's yesterday mid day. We thought, obviously incorrectly, that many people would go out for dinner, leaving the grocery stores not crazy busy.

WRONG.

I was at 3 grocery stores on Friday.  At 2 of them, I took the last visible parking space.  At the other, there weren't too many open beyond the one I got.  It was crazy, like right before Thanksgiving crazy.  Maybe this means more people were cooking at home for Valentine's Day than usual or maybe worried about bad weather over the long weekend.  It was nuts, and this was late morning - noon.

• Like 1

We went to Wegmens in Fair Lakes on Friday around 5pm after not being there since last summer. Like Pat said, I also couldn't believe the volume of customers which would appear to be holiday level at other grocery stores, that apparently is normal. 

• Like 1

Wegmans in Kingstowne, via the newly constructed Jeff Todd Way, is 10 minutes for me, so I am eagerly awaiting the opening. Despite living on the south end of Rt. 1, I can't complain about grocery choices- within a 5? Mile radius, I have the Ft. Belvoir commissary, Safeway, Bestway, Aldi, Costco, & now, Wegmans- I'm pretty spoiled for choices. Shout out for Alexandria 22309 (whatever you want to call it).

I work across the street from the new shopping center and have been in touch with Wegmans regarding their opening date.  As of mid Feb. the planned opening date for Wegmans and most of the shops is mid June.

This will be the largest Wegmans in the DC area and will include a sit-down restaurant called The Pub.  I foresee many happy hours after work in my future.

Here is a link to the shopping center tenants.

• Like 2

The Fairfax Wegman's has really been ramping up their meat selection. In the past month they've consistently had foie, quail, pheasant, duck, beef tongue, veal sweetbreads, veal breast, rabbit... it's a regular meatatarian's paradise.

Has fresh rabbit been seen lately at the Fairfax Wegmans? I have a hankering a) for rabbit and B) to visit a Wegmans store, which I have never done. I got an email ad from D'Artagnan today that touted, among other things, fresh rabbit, reduced from $39.99 to $33.99 for about a three-pounder, which is still more (a lot more) than I'm willing to pay for rabbit.

Has fresh rabbit been seen lately at the Fairfax Wegmans? I have a hankering a) for rabbit and B) to visit a Wegmans store, which I have never done. I got an email ad from D'Artagnan today that touted, among other things, fresh rabbit, reduced from $39.99 to $33.99 for about a three-pounder, which is still more (a lot more) than I'm willing to pay for rabbit.

No thoughts on the rabbit quest but, hey! Avatar! Did the Irish Terrier do something wrong?!

I went to Wegmans in Woodbridge Monday w/ my daughter (since we are anticipating the Kingstowne opening in June)- we came home w/ lots of bits & bobs, but looking at the receipt, the only things that we couldn't get closer are the 3 cases of Cheerwine (& E has a dentist appt next week!) & the Siggi yogurt & Latta kefir (I was curious). We went early, so the prepped food bars weren't set up yet. & there are no beers in swing-top bottles, which a gentleman explained to me as a pissing contest between Miller & Budweiser (I've just started some kombucha & wanted some bottles).

No thoughts on the rabbit quest but, hey! Avatar! Did the Irish Terrier do something wrong?!

My Irish terrier does something wrong about eight times a day, but changing my avatar (temporarily) has nothing to do with that. I forgive her every time. This photograph of me back in 19-never-mind just came into my possession (I didn't know it existed until about 5 days ago) and I felt like sharing it.

My Irish terrier does something wrong about eight times a day, but changing my avatar (temporarily) has nothing to do with that. I forgive her every time. This photograph of me back in 19-never-mind just came into my possession (I didn't know it existed until about 5 days ago) and I felt like sharing it.

Great stuff, TH. Great stuff indeed.

I think there's a rabbit thread somewhere, and this probably belongs there, but I went to Harvey's Market at Union Market and bought a fresh rabbit today. It cost every bit as much as a D'Artagnan rabbit. My first time at Union Market, which was very interesting. I haven't cooked the rabbit, which I'll probably do tomorrow.

I think there's a rabbit thread somewhere, and this probably belongs there, but I went to Harvey's Market at Union Market and bought a fresh rabbit today. It cost every bit as much as a D'Artagnan rabbit. My first time at Union Market, which was very interesting. I haven't cooked the rabbit, which I'll probably do tomorrow.

Impressions of Union Market? Why interesting? Have been there many times but curious to get your reaction as a first-timer. Congrats BTW...or something.

Apparently, my bashing Wegman's kick is going to continue.  It's not that I really want it to, it is just happening.  I will say one nice thing.  My co-worker bought a cake here with a creme filling in the middle (kind of like a Boston Creme Pie filling) and it was really good.  But I have noticed the quality of produce declining at Wegman's Fairfax.  It used to be that their produce lasted for a really long time.  This go round, I had strawberries, green peppers and tangelos go bad really quickly.  I feel like there was something else too, but can't remember what it was. I am pretty disappointed, I feel this store is just declining more and more every visit. 

Apparently, my bashing Wegman's kick is going to continue. It's not that I really want it to, it is just happening. I will say one nice thing. My co-worker bought a cake here with a creme filling in the middle (kind of like a Boston Creme Pie filling) and it was really good. But I have noticed the quality of produce declining at Wegman's Fairfax. It used to be that their produce lasted for a really long time. This go round, I had strawberries, green peppers and tangelos go bad really quickly. I feel like there was something else too, but can't remember what it was. I am pretty disappointed, I feel this store is just declining more and more every visit.

1. Restaurant, food store or retail business opens doing something very special and well

2. Legions of customers, raves and recognition follow

3. Revenues climb, delighting owners

4. Realizing the limits to single-location revenue growth, expansion begins

5. Once locations span multiple states and longer distances, business needs change

6. Quality declines and charges of sellout behavior ensues

7. Eventually, founders realize they lack the skills to handle the more complex operation

8. The business is sold, with buyer selection becoming the key criterium determine future success (eg, TJs) or failure (eg Marvelous Market)

Ah, Wegmans. You were something really special long before the Mid Atlantic appeared on your radar. Time to bring in the right kind of professional managers.

• Like 1

1. Restaurant, food store or retail business opens doing something very special and well

2. Legions of customers, raves and recognition follow

3. Revenues climb, delighting owners

4. Realizing the limits to single-location revenue growth, expansion begins

5. Once locations span multiple states and longer distances, business needs change

6. Quality declines and charges of sellout behavior ensues

7. Eventually, founders realize they lack the skills to handle the more complex operation

8. The business is sold, with buyer selection becoming the key criterium determine future success (eg, TJs) or failure (eg Marvelous Market)

Ah, Wegmans. You were something really special long before the Mid Atlantic appeared on your radar. Time to bring in the right kind of professional managers.

It was special at one point.  And every time I go there are still hints of small special, but not enough of it is left to make me want to drive all the way to Fairfax or Springfield and brave the crowds.

Impressions of Union Market? Why interesting? Have been there many times but curious to get your reaction as a first-timer. Congrats BTW...or something.

Actually, what I found most interesting was walking around all of the wholesale places nearby. I had never been anywhere near that part of town before, as far as I can remember. It has a character that reminds me, surprisingly, of New Jersey. The hip urban mall that is Union Market proper is actually also interesting, with lots of enticements to spend lots of money. If I had had more time, and more money, I probably would have bought more things. I would certainly have lingered at Rappahannock Oysters slurping molluscs. On the other hand, everything was unpleasantly noisy and crowded.

Actually, what I found most interesting was walking around all of the wholesale places nearby. I had never been anywhere near that part of town before, as far as I can remember. It has a character that reminds me, surprisingly, of New Jersey. The hip urban mall that is Union Market proper is actually also interesting, with lots of enticements to spend lots of money. If I had had more time, and more money, I probably would have bought more things. I would certainly have lingered at Rappahannock Oysters slurping molluscs. On the other hand, everything was unpleasantly noisy and crowded.

Big agree on the beyond-Union Market wholesale places. I've noticed, been intrigued by and have wondered into several of those too.  In addition to the many seafood and meat wholesalers and merchants of other sundries, there is a great kitchen supply store just on the next block.  High shelves, narrow aisles and the best prices I've found anywhere to buy things ranging from sheet pans and rolling pins to large buckets for pickling and many kinds of generic accessories and equipment. Sort of the anti-Williams Sonoma or anti-Sur la Table store. Forgetting the name but know exactly where it is.

I admit that as a Syracuse grad I have a soft spot for Wegmans, but I shop at the Columbia Wegmans regularly and have not seen a drop off in quality at all. My fruits and veg last a long time and the prices are great on "normal grocery store items" like cereal and milk. They got rid of the dim sum dumplings, so I don't frequent the hot food bar as much, but that is probably for the best. Prices are high for meat and seafood, but the quality is definitely better than my giant/safeway here in silver spring, so I buy it less frequently. I work in Howard County so it isn't out of the way, but I think it is still going strong.

• Like 1

I would venture to say that 90% of the people who love Wegmans, love it for the fresh side of the store.  The produce, hot bar, prepared foods, meat and seafood counter, side of the store.  I find the more "standard" side of the store to be unpleasant - prices are not good, the full-sized carts don't fit well in the aisle, and if they offer a Wegmans brand of a product, they frequently just don't carry other brands of said product, forcing you to buy theirs.

But on the 'good side' it varies so much based on location.  I've always thought the Fredericksburg store off exit 133 and the Lake Manassas stores were better than Fairfax, their fresh offerings better.  Then Fairfax has the whole situation of the booze being downstairs and your cart being upstairs, but I guess that's #firstworldproblems

By far, the worst Wegmans I've been to is sadly the closest to me in Ashburn.

there is a great kitchen supply store just on the next block.  High shelves, narrow aisles and the best prices I've found anywhere to buy things ranging from sheet pans and rolling pins to large buckets for pickling and many kinds of generic accessories and equipment. Sort of the anti-Williams Sonoma or anti-Sur la Table store. Forgetting the name but know exactly where it is.

I believe it's simply called Best Kitchen Supply. The place is fantastic. When we redid our kitchen a couple years ago my wife wanted simple, plain, white plates and bowls. Williams Sonoma had plates for something like 20 bucks A PIECE. We got something like a dozen at "Best" for something like 20 bucks TOTAL! And the plates were damn near identical.

You can also buy a wok there that's approximately the size of a VW Bug!

• Like 1

I believe it's simply called Best Kitchen Supply. The place is fantastic. When we redid our kitchen a couple years ago my wife wanted simple, plain, white plates and bowls. Williams Sonoma had plates for something like 20 bucks A PIECE. We got something like a dozen at "Best" for something like 20 bucks TOTAL! And the plates were damn near identical.You can also buy a wok there that's approximately the size of a VW Bug!

That's it! And, agreed, it's pretty awesome. I think I saw that wok too. Walking through a place like that almost makes you feel a bit foolish for ever crossing a threshold of a Willams Sonoma or Sur la Table. They're more conveniently located, nicer venues and sell some things you wouldn't find here or of better quality but...still...wow!

That's it! And, agreed, it's pretty awesome. I think I saw that wok too. Walking through a place like that almost makes you feel a bit foolish for ever crossing a threshold of a Willams Sonoma or Sur la Table. They're more conveniently located, nicer venues and sell some things you wouldn't find here or of better quality but...still...wow!

Also open on weekends. That said, maybe the next time I'm off during the week I'll head there...or Wegman's (tend to avoid it on weekends, gets busy!).

Wegman's was a bit of a godsend the past couple weeks-

Mom and I had a christening lunch that we really didn't feel like slaving away for as it was a pretty quick weekend with a smaller group of people coming 15ish guests) so we went to Wegman's and picked up good rolls from the deli, croissants, sliced rosemary ham, sliced london broil, lettuce and tomato.  From the bakery we got cannoli dip, which was a huge hit, a very good blueberry crumble pound cake.  We also picked up the greek pasta salad and added to it cherry tomatoes and zucchini.  The lunch ended up being very nice and everyone really like the sandwiches and pasta salad and desserts.  The dip was a huge hit.

On the heals of that, we had an Independence Celebration party.  I had to be at court in the morning, then back at the office to draft some stuff and meet with my mentee in the afternoon, and we had company coming in that evening, and really no time to do much, but the Fairfax Wegman's isn't far from the courthouse, so I picked up a Danny's favorite sub to eat for lunch because I was starving (although I ordered too big a size, but ate the rest later, when they say large, they mean more than a footlong, and they are wider than a subway sub, so it was way bigger than needed), ultimate chocolate cake for a friend's birthday, more cannoli dip (which was again a huge hit), angel food cake for another event we had, strawberries and some feta cheese for the coleslaw I was making.  I got in and out of there in 30 minutes, which is a miracle for me.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thistle said:

In & out of the Fairfax Wegmans in 30 minutes? You win...

To be fair, I only had to hit the deli, bakery and produce section. I also watched one of the Fairfax Juvenile Court Judges who just retired almost get run over in the parking lot and shake her head at someone.  Hope they weren't a lawyer, don't have a custody battle with a substitute-judge or mediate with a certain popular mediation company any time soon...  

• Like 1

My first visit to Wegmans was at the Fairfax store right after my son Tom got his license (you actually go in to court & witness it)-it was sort of like 'Willy Wionka & the Chocolate Factory'.  & the parking lot was very scary. (It was around 5:30).

6 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I had to be at court in the morning, then back at the office to draft some stuff and meet with my mentee in the afternoon, and we had company coming in that evening, and really no time to do much, but the Fairfax Wegman's isn't far from the courthouse, so I picked up a Danny's favorite sub to eat for lunch because I was starving (although I ordered too big a size, but ate the rest later, when they say large, they mean more than a footlong, and they are wider than a subway sub, so it was way bigger than needed), ultimate chocolate cake for a friend's birthday, more cannoli dip (which was again a huge hit), angel food cake for another event we had, strawberries and some feta cheese for the coleslaw I was making.  I got in and out of there in 30 minutes, which is a miracle for me.  

Back in my college days at Syracuse, I used to hit up the Dewitt NY location very frequently.  A large sub would be purchased on every trip and amounted to a full days worth of meals.  The secret to their subs is in the bread, which rumor has it is the result of Danny Wegman purchasing DiBella's sub shop in Rochester solely for the bread recipe. Although the  linked article doesn't fully corroborate this lore, it also doesn't fully discount it either.

• Like 1