Wegmans (1916-), a Rochester-Based Grocery Store with Several DC-Area Locations - In Business for over 100 Years

Escoffier

21 hours ago, dracisk said:

I'm so excited for a nearby (to Silver Spring) Wegmans! The closest (Gaithersburg and Columbia) are currently at least 30 minutes away.

It's unfortunately Germantown and not Gaithersburg, and not right off 270, so that much further out. My couple of visits there have been underwhelming (lousy food from court, cheeses not stored properly), so I never consider going.

44 minutes ago, DanielK said:

It's unfortunately Germantown and not Gaithersburg, and not right off 270, so that much further out. My couple of visits there have been underwhelming (lousy food from court, cheeses not stored properly), so I never consider going.

This should probably be moved to the Wegman's thread, but my experiences with the Germantown location have been fine to good (typically go a few times per month, though never for food court or cheese).  Their milk is super-cheap, they sell Sun Noodle ramen kits and Jeni's ice cream pints, and the generic brand groceries are surprisingly decent.  The Germantown location will still be closer to our house than the new one in Rockville, though we may end up going to the latter more because it's closer to our schools and on the way home from work.

13 minutes ago, silentbob said:

This should probably be moved to the Wegman's thread, but my experiences with the Germantown location have been fine to good (typically go a few times per month, though never for food court or cheese).  Their milk is super-cheap, they sell Sun Noodle ramen kits and Jeni's ice cream pints, and the generic brand groceries are surprisingly decent.  The Germantown location will still be closer to our house than the new one in Rockville, though we may end up going to the latter more because it's closer to our schools and on the way home from work.

True that this should be moved.  I was introduced to Wegmans while a student at Syracuse University, and the DeWitt store, which I believe was their first "mega" location.  At the time it not of this world when compared with anything else.  Their subs were a revelation (and I still think they hold up today because of the bread).  While the Germantown store (or any local store for that matter) does not conjure up the same memories from Syracuse, it is still about 10 steps above any Giant, Safeway, or Teeter.

14 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Jeni's ice cream pints

Omg, I forgot about the Jeni's ice cream! I've never had it. I used to live 2 miles from a Wegmans in Crofton and went every couple of weeks, then when we moved to Silver Spring our Wegmans trips ended. Recently we've started popping into the Columbia location when visiting my father in law. I'm obsessed with their store brand chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels, and my husband likes their store brand sherbet and frozen chicken fingers. BUT I FORGOT ABOUT THE JENI'S!

1 hour ago, pras said:

True that this should be moved.  I was introduced to Wegmans while a student at Syracuse University, and the DeWitt store, which I believe was their first "mega" location.  At the time it not of this world when compared with anything else.  Their subs were a revelation (and I still think they hold up today because of the bread).  While the Germantown store (or any local store for that matter) does not conjure up the same memories from Syracuse, it is still about 10 steps above any Giant, Safeway, or Teeter.

I've been to the DeWitt Wegman's many, many times.  New England Clam Chowder and their doughnuts.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2013 at 8:28 AM, bookluvingbabe said:

Rumor of the day--Wegmans going into White Flint where the Bloomingdales used to be.

That would force the Rockville Whole Foods to really step up their game.

Interesting how the rumors eventually evolve. It'll be a while before the Rockville Wegmans opens at Twinbrook Quarter. Looking upthread, it took 4+ years for the Landover location to open after its initial press release.

13 minutes ago, Lydia R said:

Interesting how the rumors eventually evolve. It'll be a while before the Rockville Wegmans opens at Twinbrook Quarter. Looking upthread, it took 4+ years for the Landover location opened after its initial press release.

BLHusband and BL5th grader were both quite excited about this.  I pointed out the chance of it being done before he finished 8th grade and we weren't in the neighborhood every week day were slim.

They both harrumphed at me... 

2 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Wegmans coming to Annapolis 2020.  Close to Whole foods.  Shoppers has already announced they are closing and I bet either Giant or Safeway nearby will close as well.

Is it going onto the lot where Shoppers is?  That is a big space with a big lot.

20 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Is it going onto the lot where Shoppers is?  That is a big space with a big lot.

Riva Road, I believe where an old business building sits vacant.

On the other hand Aldi has been rumored to be coming to my side of Annapolis where C&C liquors sits boarded up on Bay Ridge Ave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pool Boy said:

Well my Mother -in-law now lives in Annapolis-ish and so a Wegmans is good news. Especially since moving there she has mre or less decided she does not like to drive. So a good grocery store nearby means we can grocery shop at the same time at a good place.

Too bad there aren't more picky produce shoppers for online delivery services... (This is meant as a very well intentioned jest. But in all seriousness, they really have gotten a lot better, you might consider this for her if needed.  My Mom got really traffic wary in Annapolis as of the last number of years based on all the development.)  Too bad for Annapolis, but I can totally see their concern, especially given how congested that area is for traffic already, that is a particularly bad corridor on major roads located right off the interstate exit, without a good work around in terms of roads.  And Wegman's has pretty specific standards they want met, and they can be picky as it seems a lot of people will drive to their locations (my Mom hated going to anything in Waugh Chapel once they came in due to the huge increase in traffic there.)

Many of the Japanese and Korean families here at the War College, when asked for the most authentic local sushi, cite our Wegmans sushi counter above the local joints. (Although honestly I quite like one of the spots in downtown Carlisle, but for my kids, who eat primarily avocado maki and tuna maki, the price-per-slice ratio is certainly better at the grocery store.) I do most of my shopping at Giant (which I can walk to), but I go to the Mechanicsburg Wegmans for certain can’t-get-anywhere-else items, prepared foods, and the cheese counter. 

All of which is to say, I grabbed a package of their “mushroom nuggets” today on a whim — basically breaded slightly cheesy mushroom bites at the pre-cut veggie counter — and I miiiiiight be addicted. Also their truffle mushroom paste/spread/whatever it is probably has crack in it. Double also, I appear to be on a mushroom kick.

• Like 1

There's a Wegmans within walking distance of my house now (I still haven't been but I've been checking out it's website).  Two things that I have purchased from Safeway is substantially cheaper at Wegmans!

Jimmy Dean bacon, egg and cheese biscuits (4 pack) are $5.99 at Wegmans and $7.99 at Safeway (both are within walking distance of my house, but Safeway is closer and doesn't require me to cross Rt. 123).  Golden Krust Jamaican meat pies are $3.49 at Wegmans and $4.99 at Safeway. 

I've missing out!  

• Like 1

I really like Wegman's ordering app.  I have mostly switched from HT to Wegman's on the strength of their ordering system.  Some items are a lot more inexpensive than Costco, some items are pricier.  The online app certainly doesn't have in store selection, BUT it is pretty darn good.

• Like 2

I've been ordering from Wegman's through instacart and liking it.  Selection is good and they get the right item most of the time.  I didn't know they had a Wegmans app so I'll have to try it!  

I don't know what store the food comes from to deliver to NW DC, but it seems far.  Either Tyson's or Lanham?

Whole Foods is closest to us but delivery is full of surprises - missing items and odd substitutions

• Like 2

So... if you are not using the Wegman's app/website (then it delivers through Instacart) I highly, highly recommend that.  You can choose automatic preferred substitutions, or search through their stock when an item is out to choose a replacement.  I feel like the search platform is better, as well. Anyway, they both are delivered through Instacart, but I feel like the Wegman's platform is far better.

• Like 1

We've been ordering from Wegman's since April, using the website, and doing free curbside pick-up.  We've tried Peapod/Giant twice and much prefer Wegman's.  I think I've received maybe 7 item mistakes in that time and we order about every other week or so.  Really like the ability to choose substitutions easily, if needed and I've only had a couple of not awesome shoppers.  My only real complaint is that 98% of the time, the shopping is done way before I am ready to pick it up.  But if that's my biggest complaint, I can definitely live with it.

I understand the need that the 'professional shoppers' are filling during this time, but as more people get used to the services I doubt levels will return to pre-pandemic levels once things begin to normalize.  With that in mind, large grocery retailers desperately need to figure out a better way to balance individual customers vs these professional shoppers.  I've tried going at 6am and 9pm, weekdays, weekends.  I'm sure there are a large number of kind, caring, patient professional shoppers, but... when you are financially incentivized to shop as quickly as possible, the predicted outcome occurs too often.  Many are pushy, aggressive, don't yield, spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find an item when they don't know the location, don't practice social distancing, and are bagging in the middle of a busy aisle, blocking traffic.

Wegmans is the extreme, and I now find myself going to less desirable stores or making multiple stops to avoid.  I'm not sure the answer - dedicated hours, all in-store staff, specific training, but its starting to drive my spending decisions, and I'm likely not alone.  Again, not maligning the service itself, just hoping it can be better managed...

• Like 2

This is where grocery shopping was headed to begin with... I do think the Harris Teeter in store model works better in that they can pull a lot of things from the back without disturbing shoppers and employees know the rules.  But I doubt Wegman's will go to that model, as it is cheaper to farm that out and not have employees which you have to pay benefits to.  I see myself rarely shopping in person for "normal" grocery runs, but I didn't do that pre-pandemic either.