So I saw a lot of posts about Weight Watchers in the Fit For Summer Challenge Thread and Losing Weight... One Man's Problem Thread.  But I thought it deserved a dedicated post (Hey Moderator, can you add this to the index under Specialty Diets). Weight Watchers has always been touted by experts as being the healthiest, most sustainable diet you can be on to lose weight of the diet programs, so I thought I would try it out.

This thread is for tips, tricks, good things to eat out, good things to cook, all things to help make Weight Watchers a little more fun and manageable. And if you need a little support, this thread is for that too.

• Like 1

So I am through one week of Weight Watchers, whew!  I have found a few friends who are doing it, which has made it easier to do and more fun.  The first week was fine.  This week I am a bit more like- ok, I am sick of salad what am I eating.  My system has also just been adjusting to all the extra dietary fiber. I pretty much bought out the frozen  vegetable noodle, riced vegetable situation at Giant, just because I will eat things like Indian food or boar ragu over that and be pretty happy. Anyway, I do like that I can choose when and how to use my extra points, that makes the week more manageable. I saved all mine last week to be able to eat Bao Buns and drink wine over the weekend. 

Meals I have made/am planning this week: Fajitas with carb smart whole wheat tortillas, kale white bean and chicken sausage soup, chicken breast topped with sliced tomato and mozzarella cheese. A packet of TJs jaipur veggies, with riced cauliflower for me (rice for Hubby) and a serving of these thin whole wheat flatbreads in the freezer section at Lotte (and any leftover chicken and veggies from the fajitas will be tossed in with this). 

• Like 1

Ok, so on week 3ish: I have lost 2 pounds.  I still need to work out more, will work on that goal.  I am trying to be pretty good about tracking things and not just guessing they are points and no points.  Homemade items are hard, and I hate plugging in recipes still.  I can sometimes find something close enough. Eating out- sushi is super easy, places that have good salads, these are the yeah, yeah of course things.  I went to Wendy's the other day when we needed to eat fast food and between a large chili and chicken nuggets had a reasonable point lunch for fast food, Lebanese Taverna was very easy, a good amount of options. With beans being a preferred option for eating, Indian food isn't as bad as you would think, if you avoid the butter heavy options, and go for like chana masala, dal and tandoori chicken.  The carb smart tortillas are kind of a life saver, I am going to use those to make some wraps this week. I am not a big mustard person, so trying to find some decently low point dressing/sauce options for sandwiches that I can be happy with.  The thing I really miss the most is cheese.  I have put a little shredded cheese in a few items, but main cheese is a lot of points when just eating it. 

I am really happy with the Trader Joe's Everything Pretzel slims, and their greek yogurt dip as a snack. If you really need some dessert, the yasso bars aren't horrible in points for what you get size wise compared to other things.

I also just joined! I lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers when I was 30 and have slowly gained a lot of that back over the last 16 years despite religiously jogging 3 days a week for most of that time. 😭I blame pregnancy and my already lame metabolism taking a nosedive when I turned 40. ANYWAY, I started on November 1st and took the weekend off (which I don't plan to do regularly) so today is only my second day tracking. I'm amazed by all the zero point foods! I'm hoping that I can drop some weight with just a few tweaks of my already (I think) reasonable diet along with more discipline about tracking (which I've definitely been slacking on -- I used to at least track calories even though I wasn't doing WW). Good luck to us!

4 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Ok, so on week 3ish: I have lost 2 pounds.  I still need to work out more, will work on that goal.  I am trying to be pretty good about tracking things and not just guessing they are points and no points.  Homemade items are hard, and I hate plugging in recipes still.  I can sometimes find something close enough. Eating out- sushi is super easy, places that have good salads, these are the yeah, yeah of course things.  I went to Wendy's the other day when we needed to eat fast food and between a large chili and chicken nuggets had a reasonable point lunch for fast food, Lebanese Taverna was very easy, a good amount of options. With beans being a preferred option for eating, Indian food isn't as bad as you would think, if you avoid the butter heavy options, and go for like chana masala, dal and tandoori chicken.  The carb smart tortillas are kind of a life saver, I am going to use those to make some wraps this week. I am not a big mustard person, so trying to find some decently low point dressing/sauce options for sandwiches that I can be happy with.  The thing I really miss the most is cheese.  I have put a little shredded cheese in a few items, but main cheese is a lot of points when just eating it. 

I am really happy with the Trader Joe's Everything Pretzel slims, and their greek yogurt dip as a snack. If you really need some dessert, the yasso bars aren't horrible in points for what you get size wise compared to other things.

How many points in TJ's Amba (which is a savory fermented mango sauce and very tasty)?  

I needed a lifestyle change, but I am trying to be careful not to get too comfortable and I am trying to be really good about tracking things pretty honestly (there are times where like a turkey sandwich can range from 4-10 points, so it can be hard sometimes).  We moved last year, and between moving, work getting really busy for a time, and then Orange Theory changing a bunch of rules to make it complicated, I just didn't have the will or funds to make it all work.  I am finally at a place that I can change that.  But honestly my diet was the issue, and the gym should be a focus, but diet is the bigger thing.  And my lackluster attendance at my work gym this past year meant, I gained likely 10-12 pounds and was the heaviest I ever was. I lost the same 5 pounds twice this summer by working out. I knew that my previous diet was only supported by about 3-4 days per week at the gym, but I didn't realize by quite how much. I wish I had paid more attention sooner, oh well.  It is what it is now. That is why I am doing this, and I feel good about it, so progress!

Amba is only one point per 1 tbsp.  Would it be a good sandwich condiment?

12 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Amba is only one point per 1 tbsp.  Would it be a good sandwich condiment?

In my opinion yes.  Also, now that we are moving into colder weather, I like to make a big pot of vegetable/bean heavy soups, which are high in fiber and very filling.  When I was doing WW, I could get a couple of servings into the 6-7 point range which was a huge win at lunch time.

• Like 1

I lost 45 lbs on WW and kept most of it off for about 5-6 years. A confounding health issue curbed my exercise and then a job shange with big challenges got in the way and I gained it all back. Been getting better and the mild exercise thing of late, but diet is indeed an area that needs attention - mostly on portion control.

• Like 1

I tried making some ranch dip with greek yogurt and the hidden valley packet, and to me despite liking ranch dressing made with greek yogurt with a recipe, the packet mix to me just tasted awful. So nixing that.  Well trial last week and Thanksgiving gave me my first week of not eating under my points.  But after Saturday (my second family Thanksgiving) I went back to eating pretty healthy.  So I don't expect to lose anything this week.  I am hoping I don't have a big gain.  I mainly used extra points for bread, wine and cheese and 2 slices of pumpkin pie!  So I enjoyed the splurge briefly, but now back to reality.

I started WW on November 1st and basically took every weekend off in November between visitors, two Thanksgivings, and other events. I lost 4 pounds before this past weekend's debauchery. I usually weigh myself on Fridays so will hope I didn't erase my loss when I weigh myself this week. I figure at this time of year if I manage to lose anything that's a bonus -- I'm just looking not to gain too much. I'm thinking January will be a more realistic time to see some sustained loss.

• Like 1