Noree Thai Bazaar, Lower East Side/Chinatown

DaveO

While visiting in NY we ventured down to the Lower East Side (LES)/Chinatown to check out what had become of the buildings that once housed my paternal grandfather's and his relatives business.  My first cousins and I will be getting together next spring and I thought I'd bring photos of the old neighborhood that housed that business, the "store" that all of us visited, worked at, and knew intimately in our childhoods and beyond.

The area/neighborhood is of course completely different and is mostly a function of the ever increasing Chinatown in NYC.  The building that must have housed our grandfather's business for about 4-5 decades is now evidently owned by a Chinese gentleman.  Upper floors are now apartments.  The first floor is a restaurant, Noree Thai Bazaar, operated by a tenant.  The restaurant markets itself as featuring Thai street food.  My friends and I ventured in. 

Street food it is and utterly delicious.  We didn't stay long, but shared Pad Thai and skewers of chicken and pork and a few beers.  My goodness it was delicious.  All of us were blown away and my upper East Side friends said they would come down there again.  Light, extremely tasty.  The young chef/cook came out (it was quiet) and asked us how it was.  He got big hoorays and a high five.  The place has terrific reviews on the standard web review sites.  I can't speak for the entire menu but the small plates and apps we had were way over the top and very inexpensive.  Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, DaveO said:

While visiting in NY we ventured down to the Lower East Side (LES)/Chinatown to check out what had become of the buildings that once housed my paternal grandfather's and his relatives business.  My first cousins and I will be getting together next spring and I thought I'd bring photos of the old neighborhood that housed that business, the "store" that all of us visited, worked at, and knew intimately in our childhoods and beyond.

The area/neighborhood is of course completely different and is mostly a function of the ever increasing Chinatown in NYC.  The building that must have housed our grandfather's business for about 4-5 decades is now evidently owned by a Chinese gentleman.  Upper floors are now apartments.  The first floor is a restaurant, Noree Thai Bazaar, operated by a tenant.  The restaurant markets itself as featuring Thai street food.  My friends and I ventured in. 

Street food it is and utterly delicious.  We didn't stay long, but shared Pad Thai and skewers of chicken and pork and a few beers.  My goodness it was delicious.  All of us were blown away and my upper East Side friends said they would come down there again.  Light, extremely tasty.  The young chef/cook came out (it was quiet) and asked us how it was.  He got big hoorays and a high five.  The place has terrific reviews on the standard web review sites.  I can't speak for the entire menu but the small plates and apps we had were way over the top and very inexpensive.  Stop by if you are in the neighborhood.

FWIW, just three blocks from there, on Grand Street, is a great new (and very inexpensive) Cantonese place, Green Garden Village.  Make sure you order the dried scallop/shrimp rice roll if you go in the a.m.; barbecue thereafter.