The Big 12 Conference (1994-) - The Merger of the Big Eight and Southwest Conferences, Headquarted in Irving, TX

DonRocks

I wonder how many people know that the Big 12 Conference consists of only 10 schools.

If you'd like to visit all ten by car, here's the shortest route (that I could think of):

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 14.59.19.png <--- This is a trip down I-35, with West Virginia University at the beginning, and Texas Tech at the end.

Imagine being a WVU Mountaineer, and having to play road games in this conference.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I wonder how many people know that the Big 12 Conference consists of only 10 schools.

If you'd like to visit all ten by car, here's the shortest route (that I could think of):

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 14.59.19.png <--- This is a trip down I-35, with West Virginia University at the beginning, and Texas Tech at the end.

Imagine being a WVU Mountaineer, and having to play road games in this conference.

So things have quieted down for the time being from the period when college conferences were growing, shrinking, changing members and dissolving their historical regional basis into a basis without logic.  Adding West Virginia to that conference is the illogical step if one considers regionalism important.  Additionally the historic names of conferences with numbers of members have changed...though the names have stayed the same.  By example the Big 10 now has 14 full fledged members.

Speaking of the Big 10, I've been chatting with an old friend who lives in Joisey, and along with his wife has been a Rutgers fan.  Well Rutgers and Maryland joined the Big 10 the same year and their football teams have been destroyed by other members.  My friend finally had it.  He has been a fan and a  contributor, knows the newish dean a little, and has exploded on the Rutgers mess (they are worse than U Maryland).

Its all about the money these days.  It has ruined the spirit of the old conferences.

• Like 1

Good article, good game (I watched a lot of it).  Tangentially, what makes the Heisman contest interesting to me is that all 3 QBs are transfers.  In my lifetime watching major pro sports, I've learned that this year's Red Sox is next year's Yankee & that longevity as a team is no longer a thing.  But, now I'm used to "1& out" college basketball & getting used to watching excellent college football players change teams as well.   It's one thing for me to try to accept that Durant & Kyrie Irving are now "home team", its another to look at my alma mater that way.  Lucky it wasn't a Div. I school then and isn't a contender now either.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:00 PM, DonRocks said:

The Big Ten Conference consists of 14 teams.

Got that? The Big 12 consists of 10 teams, and the Big 10 consists of 14 teams.

And if you'd like to visit all fourteen by car, here are the shortest routes (that I could think of) - since Google maps can only handle 10 cities, I broke this up into the East Division (7 teams) and West Division (7 teams):

The East Division

Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 22.37.33.png

(To be continued ...)