Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana - Glorious New Haven-Based Pizzeria Opening in Montgomery Mall in 2020

58 minutes ago, pras said:

While I have never made it to New Haven, I have certainly seen it on TV and have wanted to make a trip to try the clam pie.  According to the MoCo Show, in late 2020, a location will open at Montgomery Mall!!!!

While I am a big fan of clam pizza and new pizza options for this area in general, I would be at most cautiously optimistic. They have a location in Warwick RI, which is a lot closer to New Haven (as well as the clam beds), and the reviews are all over the map.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DPop said:

I would venture a guess that this will be nowhere near the New Haven edition, which is excellent pizza if a bit inferior to Sally's and Modern, but I will still give it a hopeful try.

Which is better. Sally’s or Modern?  I only had Modern and it was delicious.  Just clam pizza.

As someone who's lived in New Haven the last two years, I'm afraid to report that the pandemic has not been great for the pizza scene.  Sally's was my clear favorite pre-pandemic -- as DPop aptly evokes -- but my last two plain tomato pies from Sally's were vastly inferior to their usual standards.  I wonder if quality has gone downhill because they're doing delivery now.  I have not been to Pepe's recently but also have not heard great things.  My last pizza at Modern was soupy, almost like a Neopolitan, but the slippage wasn't quite as bad as at Sally's.

My other pre-pandemic favorite was the clam pie -- the absolute best -- at Zuppardi's, though I haven't returned since.

• Like 1

Northern Virginia Magazine is reporting that Frank Pepe is coming to Alexandria in the Alexandria Commons shopping center.  The lease was just signed so no anticipated opening date mentioned.  I enjoyed my one visit in New Haven so I'll at least give it a try.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:06 PM, Simon said:

As someone who's lived in New Haven the last two years, I'm afraid to report that the pandemic has not been great for the pizza scene.  Sally's was my clear favorite pre-pandemic -- as DPop aptly evokes -- but my last two plain tomato pies from Sally's were vastly inferior to their usual standards.  I wonder if quality has gone downhill because they're doing delivery now.  I have not been to Pepe's recently but also have not heard great things.  My last pizza at Modern was soupy, almost like a Neopolitan, but the slippage wasn't quite as bad as at Sally's.

My other pre-pandemic favorite was the clam pie -- the absolute best -- at Zuppardi's, though I haven't returned since.

Acting on a tip from a local, I swung by Zuppardi's in West Haven on a drive back from RI in June. The clam pie was spectacular. Pro-tip: The cannolis are also outstanding.

• Like 1

We got carryout from Frank Pepe in Danbury CT on Monday, and were very happy with the result. I've never been to the original in New Haven, and would have been disappointed had I gone there and gotten this, but for suburban, chain, strip-mall pizza - even with such a big name - it was very good road food (and indeed, we devoured it on the way home from Connecticut).

A Medium (16") White Clam Pizza ($27.75) with Fresh Clams (not in shell, though a couple small bits of shell were found), Grated Pecorino Romano, [lots of] Garlic, [lots of] Oregano & Olive Oil was pre-sliced, salty, rife with clams, and enjoyed during a 6-7 hour car ride, as well as for lunch the next day.

The only other White Clam Pizza I've ever tried was at Matthew's in Baltimore, and this was completely different as Pepe's crust is thin and well-charred; Matthew's is its own creature, having a thick crust (Pepe's is thin, and somewhat charred) and being extremely filling. The two couldn't be more different, but both are worth trying, albeit perhaps secondary to their tomato pies.

IMG_9139.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 12:22 AM, DonRocks said:

We got carryout from Frank Pepe in Danbury CT on Monday, and were very happy with the result. I've never been to the original in New Haven, and would have been disappointed had I gone there and gotten this, but for suburban, chain, strip-mall pizza - even with such a big name - it was very good road food (and indeed, we devoured it on the way home from Connecticut).

A Medium (16") White Clam Pizza ($27.75) with Fresh Clams (not in shell, though a couple small bits of shell were found), Grated Pecorino Romano, [lots of] Garlic, [lots of] Oregano & Olive Oil was pre-sliced, salty, rife with clams, and enjoyed during a 6-7 hour car ride, as well as for lunch the next day.

The only other White Clam Pizza I've ever tried was at Matthew's in Baltimore, and this was completely different as Pepe's crust is thin and well-charred; Matthew's is its own creature, having a thick crust (Pepe's is thin, and somewhat charred) and being extremely filling. The two couldn't be more different, but both are worth trying, albeit perhaps secondary to their tomato pies.

IMG_9139.jpg

Had the clam at Montgomery Mall last week.  Clams appeared to be canned and were a huge disappointment.  We were happy with the other pie we ordered though.  I meant to ask if canned clams was temporary or what they plan on using full-time.  If fresh, I would give the clam another shot.  As far as eating in, we arrived early around 5:30 and were seating immediately.  There was a short wait by the time we left.  The big story is the volume of carry-out orders they have been receiving.  Evidently it is off the hook and the wait can be over an hour at peak times.  Not sure how well it travels, as the two times I have been there we ate there.  First time was a medium pie for my daughter and myself (half plain and half with black olives).  It was really good, nice crust, nice char, and good flavor.  The medium was really too much for the two of us, although I powered through it.  Second time was with wife included.  This time we got two smalls--the aforementioned clam (with canned clams) and the other was again half plain and half black olive.  We finished both, but it was the right amount.  As mentioned previously, the winner was the half plain/half black olive.  

On 4/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, pras said:

Had the clam at Montgomery Mall last week.  Clams appeared to be canned and were a huge disappointment.  We were happy with the other pie we ordered though.  I meant to ask if canned clams was temporary or what they plan on using full-time.  If fresh, I would give the clam another shot.  As far as eating in, we arrived early around 5:30 and were seating immediately.  There was a short wait by the time we left.  The big story is the volume of carry-out orders they have been receiving.  Evidently it is off the hook and the wait can be over an hour at peak times.  Not sure how well it travels, as the two times I have been there we ate there.  First time was a medium pie for my daughter and myself (half plain and half with black olives).  It was really good, nice crust, nice char, and good flavor.  The medium was really too much for the two of us, although I powered through it.  Second time was with wife included.  This time we got two smalls--the aforementioned clam (with canned clams) and the other was again half plain and half black olive.  We finished both, but it was the right amount.  As mentioned previously, the winner was the half plain/half black olive.  

Oh, just to be clear, the clams at the Danbury, CT location were almost surely canned. Both of us found 1-2 very small fragments of clam shell in a couple of bites, but nothing more than that. Also, I have no reason to think that any other location than New Haven is actually "coal-fired."

When I say "very happy with the result," I'm talking 'Pupatella quality' which is not that bad for suburban strip-mall pizza.

Are we covering the Alexandria location (On Duke, formerly a Baja Frssh, near Kung Fu Kitchen) in this topic as well? If that’s a separate topic, feel free to move this post.

We did take out yesterday, and it was just OK. They messed up one pizza, but caught the problem themselves and made a replacement, giving us both for no additional charge, which was nice enough, but was an additional 15 min wait. The pizzas themselves were pretty good, but not amazing. In particular, the crust was a bit tough for my taste.  I think I liked Pete’s (now gone from Arlington) better, and definitely prefer Pupatella. 

it’s also consistent with my opinion (admittedly from a long time ago) that if you’re in New Haven, Sally’s and Pepe’s aren’t worth the line, and you should just go to Modern’s instead.

• Like 1

As someone who recently moved back from New Haven and made the rounds one last time, I can confirm the best places now are Zuppardi's (for the clam pizza) and Zeneli.  Modern has held the line the best of the big three.  My last plain tomato pie at Sally's was shockingly poor.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Simon said:

As someone who recently moved back from New Haven and made the rounds one last time, I can confirm the best places now are Zuppardi's (for the clam pizza) and Zeneli.  Modern has held the line the best of the big three.  My last plain tomato pie at Sally's was shockingly poor.

Wow, the online recs for Zeneli are otherworldly.  It appears, however, to serve a more traditional Neapolitan pizza, as opposed to a New Haven style.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Zuppardi's offers a very generous cannoli too!

I can’t speak to the best pizza in Connecticut, but after 2 takeout orders and one dine-in experience I’ll say that I think this is among the best pizza in our area. 

The clam pizza is incredible with the primary initial flavor being garlic and the clams providing a great briny flavor as well. The tomato pies were simple but delicious. 

I prefer my pizzas well done and I would note there has been a lot of char on our pizzas. We did not order them that way so some might find that unpleasant. But I find their standard cook to be a great mix of crispy and chewy. So glad to have this place. 

• Like 2