Grocery Store Purchased Hummus

DaveO

The Washington Post came up with an article and taste testing on store purchased hummus.  Its a topic that grabs my attention.  I enjoy hummus and vacillate between making my own and purchasing elsewhere.  

The scope of the article and many of the comments (I read a fair amount but not all ) suggested the article described the least offensive hummus, with the taste testing "best" being a function of least disagreeable.  Not mentioned in the taste testing was Perfect Pita which is available at Whole Foods, and my favorite.  Of the comments I read it was mentioned once.  Of the eleven brands rated the least favorable was also a favorite for some of the commentators. 

Ah hummus it appears "the best" is all in the eyes of the beholder.

4 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I think it really says all grocery store hummus suck.  You can do better making it yourself.  I've never like any store bought hummus, including Sabra and Cava.  My favorite hummus is from Zahav/Dizengoff, which I understand may be available for purchase at a Wholefood in Phlly.

There's a Dizengoff stand WITHIN the Whole Foods by the museums, but I'm not sure if they actually package the stuff and sell on the shelves.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, TheMatt said:

My favorite comes from the Mediterranean Bakery on Pickett in Alexandria. Fairly certain it's made there and it just has...flavor compared to store-bought varieties.

Totally second that.  It is the only one that really works for my tastebuds.  The recipe book that came with my Cuisinart back in the 80's has my go-to recipe, although I add more garlic and lemon than it specifies.  

• Like 2

I eat a lot of hummus.  I haven't made any in about 4 months.  So recently its all been store purchased.   I wonder how many consumers have tried all 11 of the versions tested in the WashPo article?  I've actually had about 4 or 5 versions.   My go to remains Perfect Pita, and my second choice is the ubiquitous Sabra (available everywhere).  Perfect Pita has a terrific taste which must be a function of its Mexican spices.  Sabra is okay--but eminently available and currently has what must be about 6-8 different flavors. 

Sabra, btw, is currently a target by the BDS movement.  Yet it is 50% owned by American company, Pepsi, and has exploded in growth in the US since Pepsi became a partner.  They have a large processing plant in Southern VA, have several hundred employees there and added an expansion that was finished in early 2019.

Ithaca Hummus is ABSURDLY good, for store-bought and honestly compared to many of the house-made restaurant versions I’ve had (they tend to be looser, but I think a large function of that is the refrigeration in this case). It is available in Ithaca, which is gorge(ou)s, or at Wegmans, or apparently at some Whole Foods, according to their website.