Reveler's Hour - Pastaria and Wine Bar by the Owners of Tail-Up Goat, Columbia Road in Adams Morgan

We went to a friends-and-family dinner and the restaurant was already polished and professional. Menu, wine list, food and wine service, and atmosphere (comfort, decor, noise level) seemed like an informal Tail Up Goat. Every dish we had was delicious, and we would order every one again: scallops, perfectly cooked, with kumquats and celery; meatballs, polenta with citrus, and pine nut picada (photo attached); pasta with Sea Island red peas and collards; pasta with broccoli, lemon, gouda and spicy chili breadcrumbs for crunch; apple tart and basil with a caramel sauce; winter squash crostata with whipped cream and mint (photo attached). We liked that the desserts were not overly sweet. So, a winner. Reveler's Hour or Tail Up Goat? Both.

_DSC1861.jpg

_DSC1873.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you search my history here you will see that I love Tail Up Goat and the people who work there.  That is my bias.  So, first visit to Revelers Hour and it is unsurprising that I love it but let me perhaps give a little more information than that.

Somewhat bigger and more boisterous in vibe than T-U-G.  But it still has the same sort of warm vibe, not really "rustic" but somehow very home-y feeling.  Like maybe a nice orange-y glowing aura in an aura sense rather than a literal sense.

It is different from T-U-G (at least so far) in the absence of bread course and the absence of large fish or meat entrees. There are several pasta dishes, of which we ate three and all were mind bogglingly good. (the one with smoked collards and red peas, described in an earlier post, was especially amazing to me). 

If you ever want to take someone for a drink and hope to smooch them, go sit at the bar early and have wine by the glass and order the nuts (with rosemary etc) and the potato chips with a potato-based dip (i know, it sounds paradoxical, but believe me).

T-U-G and now Revelers Hour are the only restaurants I have ever been to that make such a point of being vegetarian-welcoming that they hand-prepare menus which note the dishes that are veg or can be made so with identified tweaks.  I think that is lovely.

• Like 2

Went last night - if you love TUG (you should) you'll probably love this too.  The main difference food wise to me is that at TUG dishes are a little wilder with ingredient combinations, whereas at Revelers things lean a bit more classic (especially notable with the pastas).  Not to say that it's less tasty, just different - pastas are actually like small entree sized too which is nice.  I'm definitely gonna swing by the bar during and attempt to not spend too much money drinking.

We went a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. We had a group of three, and walked in at around 7:15 pm on a Saturday night. It took about 30 minutes for a table in the bar area to open up, and the staff was very welcoming, and got us cocktails while we waited. Everything was fantastic, particularly the service. The wine list has many very interesting choices. I'll write in more detail later, but we're excited to go back. 

I really *love* the simplicity of the websites at both Reveler's Hour and Tail-Up Goat (clearly something Jon, Bill and Jill took with them from Komi). Both restaurants do have Instagram pages (see Dining Guide), but the websites don't tout them.

There's something quietly confident about having such simple-yet-elegant websites. I find them all close to perfect.

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I really *love* the simplicity of the websites at both Reveler's Hour and Tail-Up Goat (clearly something Jon, Bill and Jill took with them from Komi). Both restaurants do have Instagram pages (see Dining Guide), but the websites don't tout them.

There's something quietly confident about having such simple-yet-elegant websites. I find them all close to perfect.

They also update the menus daily on both which I love.

Reveler's, which had the bad fortune of opening just before the pandemic, is running on all cylinders, FWIW.  Two dishes on the current menu that you really ought not miss:

rigatoni with spicy octopus, tomato, chickpeas, and olives 
crispy duck leg confit with garlic sausage, cranberry beans, and frisée 

• Like 5

With our days of DINK-dom winding down, we dropped by Reveler's Hour with a friend Tuesday evening for a lovely dinner. We ordered three firsts, three pastas, and left stuffed (with two bottles of wine to go):

sweet pepper arancini  with grilled eggplant puree, mozzarella, and espelette

grilled squid salad with marinated beans, garlic, cherry tomato, chili and semolina sourdough

smoked prosciutto with cantaloupe, and olio verde

campanelle with pistachio + green zebra tomato pesto and grana padano

tagliatelle with roast pork, sweet and hot peppers, parmesan, and fennel pollen breadcrumbs

bucatini with lamb sausage, eggplant, tomato, and ricotta salata

Everything was great but the arancini, campanelle, and tagliatelle were standouts. We have been going crazy with summer produce at home, and Reveler's Hour took it up a notch or two. We enjoyed a bottle of Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo so much we bought one to enjoy at home ($60 on the wine list, $30 retail).

• Like 3