Mission BBQ, Owners Bill Kraus and Steve Newton's Glen Burnie BBQ Chain Now Operating or Opening in Numerous Locations

On 12/30/2019 at 6:48 AM, DonRocks said:

Can anyone give me any culinary reason to try it

I second what Dean said

I started to eat the worst sausage I have ever put in my mouth at the Columbia location. It reminded me why I have said many times that, just because someone knows how to smoke meat it does not mean they know how to make sausage. The skill-sets have nothing in common, yet more often than not the barbecue places that say they make their own sausage almost always disappoint. (I'm looking at you, Monk's BBQ).

• Like 2

I live in Columbia, and really- it is one of our better options for a lot of people. Usually the brisket is cooked well and cut nicely, and other meats are nice too. (I have not had as much consistency in other locations.)  I had not had the sausage, but sides are decent and they have sauces I like. The people that work there are also wonderful. That being said, if you live in areas with other bbq places you like- I am not sure I would drive for it frequently. 

I wish they had pickles though!

Some pretty harsh comments about this place in the preceding posts. No, it's not fine dining, but I've definitely had worse BBQ. I've also had better.

With a house full of 20 coming over for a Father's Day-eve celebration, including 8 children, I decided I wasn't going to cook. With about 48 hours to order some catering, and knowing that the Mission BBQ catering kitchen was only a mile away, I went for it.

The meal for 20 people came to just about $20 a head all in. With the added benefit of not having to cook anything, and just tossing the plates and utensils in the trash afterwards, easy-peasy.

The meats were all good -- not great, but not bad at all -- ribs, brisket, pulled chicken, and regular sausage. While I might have overall higher standards, the crowd was very happy. The meats got thumbs up all around.

The sides were garden salad, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, and corn bread. The kiddies ate to their heart's content.

I was told by the assemblage to do this again sometime. Like I said, I have had better BBQ on many occasions, but I've also had far worse, and the crowd was very happy with the spread.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2021 at 10:41 AM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Some pretty harsh comments about this place in the preceding posts. No, it's not fine dining, but I've definitely had worse BBQ. I've also had better.

With a house full of 20 coming over for a Father's Day-eve celebration, including 8 children, I decided I wasn't going to cook. With about 48 hours to order some catering, and knowing that the Mission BBQ catering kitchen was only a mile away, I went for it.

The meal for 20 people came to just about $20 a head all in. With the added benefit of not having to cook anything, and just tossing the plates and utensils in the trash afterwards, easy-peasy.

The meats were all good -- not great, but not bad at all -- ribs, brisket, pulled chicken, and regular sausage. While I might have overall higher standards, the crowd was very happy. The meats got thumbs up all around.

The sides were garden salad, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, and corn bread. The kiddies ate to their heart's content.

I was told by the assemblage to do this again sometime. Like I said, I have had better BBQ on many occasions, but I've also had far worse, and the crowd was very happy with the spread.

I would agree with you.  You can do far worse.

• Like 1