Guinness Open Gate Brewery, Halethorpe MD

pras

Finally made it here last night.  It had been on my list for a while.  I was here for a work event, which was located in a private room off the main floor and next to the "pub" area.  There were about half a dozen beers on draft in the private room.  There are probably closer to a dozen in the pub area.  The upper level has a more formal restaurant.  I wasn't really there for the food, so I won't comment on that.  I had the house IPA, which was really solid and the "milk stout".  The milk stout had a nice creamy mouhtfeel, a gentle sweetness with a backdrop of roasted malt and chocolate--very enjoyable.  The event I was at had a tour of the brewery.  In the basement there is a "experimental" brewery, which is the nicest "experimental" small brewery I have ever seen--essentially a brewers dream.  I have been on a lot of brewery tours and this one really ranked up there.  I thought the guide did a good job of explaining the brewing process to novices, but where the tour really shined was with the history of Guinness and the history of the Baltimore property.  I won't give up too much, except to note that some of the buildings still are used to aged spirits.  Aside from the experimental brewery in the tap room building, there is a larger production brewery where they make Guinness Blonde in large volumes.  There is also a shop where you can get shirts, glasses, etc., and beer to go.  Certainly worth a visit.