Restaurants Catfishing Diners' Uneaten Food

deangold

17 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Never heard of the term "catfishing" food.  Is this a term used in restaurants?  I thought it only relates to online dating.

That is not what I had thought catfishing meant in dining. I thought @deangold was referring to the over hyped editing and outrageous food photography used on social media to lure and or entice diners to visits a restaurant. You learn something new everyday.

I remember seeing Jaques Pepin answering a question on whether untouched bread in a bread basket should go back to the kitchen and get re-served to someone else.  He said his chef would beat him if he threw out untouched bread!  Obviously he wasn't "Jaques Pepin" at that point in his career! 

I know that if I go to Peking Gourmet Inn, I ask for containers to be brought to me so I can package up the leftovers.  If I let the kitchen do it, suddenly there is only 20% of the amount of food in the box vs. what was on the platter when it got whisked away.

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Never heard of the term "catfishing" food.  Is this a term used in restaurants?  I thought it only relates to online dating.

I have never heard of cat fishing either.  I have heard of the bus bucket buffet though.  I worked at one place  where the manager insisted all liquids left in customers glasses  got shaken out into the trash. That accomplished 2 things  - minimized how much he could drink out of those glasses AND it made the garbage; that he would have to take out at the end of the night, EXTRA heavy!

6 hours ago, Tom Power said:

I have never heard of cat fishing either.  I have heard of the bus bucket buffet though.  I worked at one place  where the manager insisted all liquids left in customers glasses  got shaken out into the trash. That accomplished 2 things  - minimized how much he could drink out of those glasses AND it made the garbage; that he would have to take out at the end of the night, EXTRA heavy!

I'm impressed the manager was the one who took the garbage out!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom Power said:

The dishwasher who was interested in drinking unfinished drinks had to take the trash out

Always look for coffee cups in work areas. I'd find them with catfished or stolen wine. I\d pour the wine out in a bus tray and refill the coffee cup with........ coffee. {Inspired by the old WC Fields line.... "Who put pineapple juice in my pineapple!"}