Lunch and Dinner on Friday

smithhemb

I’m the only participant in both (and want the meals to be different/complementary rather than same-y).  In each case, I’m looking for an atmosphere conducive to talking/lingering.

lunch:  friend is a DC (upper NW) resident who is interested in urban planning.  So we try to combine lunch with field trips.  Thinking maybe Navy Yard (Osteria Morini), Brookland (?), or SW Waterfront (Mi Vida, Officina) Friend is skeptical re waterfront because has heard everything is overpriced and underwhelming and is there any place to park there that isn’t ridiculously expensive?  Also open to good restaurants in other areas (Shaw?).

dinner:  out of town friend, low carb.  Zaytinya would be ideal except for the noise.  I think she (and DH) will find it hard to hear there on a Friday night.  No geographical constraints or desiderata in this case.

14 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

Dinner:  no opinion, it seems that quiet places suited for lingering on a Friday night are ones that are on the verge of closing, unless it is refined-fancy.

DaRiv18, I *think* I know what you're saying but would you cite a couple of examples?

Similarly, lunch in areas that are emerging as foodie havens can be hard to find, especially when there’s no base of office workers. Most of the places I looked at just have dinner service (and maybe brunch on the weekends).

Both simple requests are harder than they look because there are elements that work at cross-purposes.  A really good restaurant is likely to be crowded and noisy on a Friday night (unless it’s deliberately designed never to be crowded/noisy (e.g. the back room at the original Palena) or is failing.)

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic, I just honestly can't find a quiet dinner on a Friday.  Corduroy would probably be my best bet, I love that place.  No news flash there.  

Ivy City and the "New City DC" will likely be the welcoming mat to those driving into DC from the Northeast.  There is a new biketrail in the works to connect Ivy City and NoMa.  I like Ivy City Smokehouse, or Panda Gourmet.  Did you check out the renovated Hecht's warehouse/apartments during your last trip?

North Capitol Street is part of the Main Streets Program.  They have a lovely wine shop Domestique that features natural wines.  The Pub and the People had some nice food, as I recall.

Other main street programs include one for Rhode Island Ave., it appears they are contemplating a streetcar there.  Parking is plentiful and cheap over there.  I think you'd have to head over to nearby Brookland for food (maybe hit Brookland's Finest).  

The Wharf is very expensive, and I have liked Officina, but not been wowed. I like Kith and Kin much more, but it wasn't a cheap dinner.  I would rather go to Navy Yard.  So I think you are on the right track there.

For dinner Friday night, what about Blacksalt, an oldie but goodie?

Kinship is wonderful and quiet.  I haven't been in way too long, but I can't imagine it's ever too noisy in there.  The last 4, 5, or 6 times I went there I had a booth in the bar area, and even then it was very quiet...….but I tend to go early.

• Like 1