DonRocks

COVID-19 and Restaurants

On 3/7/2020 at 10:14 PM, gnatharobed said:

Thanks for supporting A&J, Eric! Business is down for us and all other Chinese restaurants because of coronavirus.  

Thursday, nine-days ago, I was in Thai Square, and it was pretty empty.

I suspect it started with "Chinese," and quickly became (rightly or wrongly) "Asian." 

Last night was La Chaumière (available early, but quickly became full), before that was Rooster & Owl (full), Green Almond Pantry for lunch (pretty full), Thompson's Italian (fairly full), and Anju (quite full) - these, too, shall become less-and-less crowded in the near future, although a couple of these will be among the last to thin out.

• Sad 1

I know my regular Americanized Chinese take-out has a different (worse) cook on Mondays & Tuesdays.  I'll wait until Wednesday to get some dinner on the way home.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, DonRocks said:

Thursday, nine-days ago, I was in Thai Square, and it was pretty empty.

I suspect it started with "Chinese," and quickly became (rightly or wrongly) "Asian." 

Last night was La Chaumière (available early, but quickly became full), before that was Rooster & Owl (full), Green Almond Pantry for lunch (pretty full), Thompson's Italian (fairly full), and Anju (quite full) - these, too, shall become less-and-less crowded in the near future, although a couple of these will be among the last to thin out.

Thamee was very crowded tonight; District Dumplings was pretty empty last night (not unusual at the hour), and the cashier told me that people were being "paranoid" (her term) about COVID-19.

Feel free to use this thread to report on how relatively crowded restaurants (Chinese, Asian, or otherwise) are right now - it should be historically useful.

A friend reported that last week restaurants in Flushing NY were pretty empty.

I'll say the lack of attendance at the Convention Center is hurting Chinese restaurants considering "Chinatown" is steps away.  Sorry, I need to put that in quotes for the DC version.  I was at the Travel Show on Sunday and it was pretty empty.  You never had to wait to talk to any of the booths.  At Rudy Maxa's talk there were about 50 people with seating for hundreds.  Good talk though.  The convention center workers were setting up for Satellite 2020 which started on Monday.  My old colleague told me Satellite 2020 was "virtually empty."  😟

On 3/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, hopsing said:

This coming week, probably  Hunan Gate.  

Grub Hub won't let me order form Hunan Gate, it is too far out of our delivery radius.  It makes me sad.  I miss my handmade noodle with meat sauce, mapo tofu and cumin lamb. 

• Like 1

Yesterday ordered some Sichuan chicken from our local Chinese place and it was clear they were very appreciative. Unfortunately, when I was there there only had one table, normally they would have at least five or six.

• Like 1

Today's lunch at Supreme Buffet & Hibachi on Leesberg Pike was half as busy as normal.

One of my favorites in Annapolis, posted that they will deliver via doordash.  When I texted them asking if they could deliver their Lime Gimlet, NO.

We likely will not dine out in restaurants at least for some unknown amount of time. In the meantime, we'll be cooking a lot. And risking maybe one carry-out meal here and there

I had to get a flat fixed so I needed to eat out. ChiMc in Annandale. Wings half an half. I don't think I needed to finish the whole thing, especially after fried tofu and broccoli appetizer, which was quite tasty. A mug of Sapporo on tap. The car was ready when I walked back to my garage a block away.

The place had 2 other tables when I arrived at 1.30 but only pick up and delivery orders after. I have never seen it so empty near lunch time. 

I got carryout from Hunan Gate yesterday.  Granted it was 3pm so completely empty which is probably normal.  While waiting for my meal, I asked the manager how business was.  She looked sad and said not very good.  I didn't get a chance to ask if it were due to the virus because new customers walked in.  BTW, the beef with broccoli was excellent, better than the version at TNR that I usually get.  Stop with the eyerolls -- even my mother made beef with broccoli when I was a kid (after I put pressure on her).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hopsing said:

I got carryout from Hunan Gate yesterday.  Granted it was 3pm so completely empty which is probably normal.  While waiting for my meal, I asked the manager how business was.  She looked sad and said not very good.  I didn't get a chance to ask if it were due to the virus because new customers walked in.  BTW, the beef with broccoli was excellent, better than the version at TNR that I usually get.  Stop with the eyerolls -- even my mother made beef with broccoli when I was a kid (after I put pressure on her).

FWIW, I asked a person who works as a Planet Fitness manager what type of crowd drop-off they had - not surprisingly, he said, "More than half." I suspect that's just the beginning - a public gym is not a place I'd want to be during a pandemic.

The crowds are all at the supermarkets and pharmacies stocking up on stuff.  Shelves are empty they say.  I'm going to brunch at Tupelo Honey tomorrow and Carlyle for dinner -- I haven't given up on restaurants yet!

23 hours ago, deangold said:

Oegadgib was slow for lunch today. Not dead. 

Arrowine was packed this afternoon, and I mean so packed that it was extremely uncomfortable.

Not only was it a Petri dish zoo, but - and this applies to just about everywhere - every single person signing their check was using the same pen.

I just placed a pick up order at Total Wine.  Normally the order would be ready in 2 hours.  They said due to the number of orders, the order could take up to 24 hours to fill.  

From the Sunday morning talk shows... Dr Fauci. Not all of us have as important a job or are his age. But he is in good health and is well aware of the statistics. 

• Sad 1

DC is allowing restaurants and bars to remain open for now, capped still at 250 people, with 6 ft. distance restrictions. No bar seating; no standing patrons. Nightclubs closed.

I assume this is a halfway measure to get people ready for shutting sit-down restaurants entirely and keeping people out of bars. Probably should have gone all the way with this.

Notice with the details here.

While on a walk (the only thing I'm leaving the house for is to get some fresh air) I saw from a notice on the door that the Pretzel Bakery has cut hours, is to-go only, and won't accept cash. Also they're now pouring coffee rather than using communal carafes. Their outside tables are still there and a couple were occupied.

Jose Andres, bless him,  is closing his DC-area restaurants until further notice and opening up some community kitchens for people who need it to get take-away lunches.

Article from NBC Washington here.

• Like 2

Picked up take out from Asian Origin last night. It was empty.

Reservation for the Roof Garden for 8 at Rose's Luxury this coming Saturday. Not sure how that's going to play out.

• Sad 1

1. Dr. Fauci is in good shape. I pass him running on a local route every week.

2 Perhaps we shouldn't have but my daughters and I ate at Chez Billy Sud for brunch today. Few tables occupied and we all were very far apart. This is going to devastate the local industry and the owner-run places (as opposed to corporate locations like a cheesecake factory) will be the ones that cannot survive and cannot come back. I am fearful for many dear friends and their livelihoods (both as owners and workers.) 

3. I would not be surprised if by mid-week all restaurants, bars and retail shops will be ordered by the DC government to close. 

• Like 1

I'm sure many of you have seen this but here's a link to Washingtonian's best delivery in DC article from a day or two ago.  I didn't know many of these places deliver, but the news of places that are converting to carry out or delivery only is moving fast (e.g., Izakaya Seki today).

We got delivery from Chiko in Dupont Circle yesterday and it was fantastic.

I just saw that Jose Andres is closing all his DC area restaurants and paying staff for 2 weeks.  Some of the restaurants will be serving as community kitchens and open from 12-5 handing out meals at a side door.

• Like 1